Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

After some deep thought, if I should buy an 1199 or stick with my 899, I decided to stick with I have which I am extremely happy with.
I loved the look of the 1199 single swing and decided why not. I am not an expert, however, enjoy learning new tasks and decided to complete the mod myself.

On order and on its way to me.

1199 Single swing arm... about 1500 KMS
1199 Brake Caliper
1199 Rear Brake line
1199 rotor
1199 Wheel speed sensor
1199 rear Sprocket
1199 Hub
1199 Chain
Rear fender
Axle nut
1199 Forged rear wheel

Shipped cost to me 1250.00

I was quoted $600.00 in labour which sounds reasonable I guess, however decided to tackle this myself.

I have been taking my time so far I have about 3 hours into it.

The project is on hold until all my parts arrive in a week or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To support the bike, I fastened two fisheye hooks to the ceiling beams and used ratchet straps to fastened the back of the bike.
The front I used my bike stand and strapped the front down.
The bike is stable and secure, less expensive way I thought.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Sounds like quite a project you now have on your hands - I hope everything goes well!

$1,250 for all the parts seems like a bargain so far. I would definitely consider upgrading the front wheel as well, though. Perhaps someone else can comment, however I am not sure how drastic a change to both the geometry AND rotational mass on the rear will impact the handling of the bike.

Once you are finished, you will be able to consider that underseat exhaust as you next upgrade!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the price was worth it , shopped around ,

I am planning on changing the front wheel as well right now wanting to get it put together.

My exhaust, I did a core job and right now it's at the welding shop getting stainless grills welded. I just don't know if 2000K for a Termi will make a difference in performance VS cored to be honest.
I know the Termi will sound better. However, I think the cored sounds mean as well.

When I am all finished, I will make some high-quality videos. Usually I am the guy reading everyones threads and learning.

Lots of cold beers and great music, I havent screwed anything up yet. lol

Sounds like quite a project you now have on your hands - I hope everything goes well!

$1,250 for all the parts seems like a bargain so far. I would definitely consider upgrading the front wheel as well, though. Perhaps someone else can comment, however I am not sure how drastic a change to both the geometry AND rotational mass on the rear will impact the handling of the bike.

Once you are finished, you will be able to consider that underseat exhaust as you next upgrade!

·
Registered
349 Posts

Light weight wheels are considered one of the best upgrades to a bike. While the longer wheel base and wider tire will have some effect on the handling. You do lose some of the "easy to lean over" character of the 899, but you get use to it.

Freight cost is a killer for me for a SSSA conversion.......

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Light weight wheels are considered one of the best upgrades to a bike. While the longer wheel base and wider tire will have some effect on the handling. You do lose some of the "easy to lean over" character of the 899, but you get use to it.

Freight cost is a killer for me for a SSSA conversion.......
Yes. I have had Rotobox wheels on my 899 for some time now and I bought my RR with the HP forged wheels for just this reason.

What I meant was installing the SSSA with a lighter wheel on the rear while retaining a cast wheel on the front. What I was questioning was how suddenly having a slightly extended wheel base and a light wheel on the rear, but not doing anything for the front wheel may affect the bike. It seems to me that this combination might be dangerously offset.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it turns out the Rim
I thought I was buying a 1199R Machesini is not .
It's a regular 1199 rim , they reduced the price , will that rim work with my 899 ?

Or should I still replace the front to a 1199 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes. I have had Rotobox wheels on my 899 for some time now and I bought my RR with the HP forged wheels for just this reason.

What I meant was installing the SSSA with a lighter wheel on the rear while retaining a cast wheel on the front. What I was questioning was how suddenly having a slightly extended wheel base and a light wheel on the rear, but not doing anything for the front wheel may affect the bike. It seems to me that this combination might be dangerously offset.
Well, I know some body who brought a 1199s wheel set and is just using the front wheel.....lol

from off the top of head, it wont be dangerous, but you would have to adjust the rear shock for the new combo.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So it turns out the Rim
I thought I was buying a 1199R Machesini is not .
It's a regular 1199 rim , they reduced the price , will that rim work with my 899 ?

Or should I still replace the front to a 1199 ?

the rear will work on a SSSA conversion. Cant remember if the front wheels between the 899 and base 1199 are the same style. Does front wheel come with brake rotors? if is does, then thats a bonus upgrade, but you will need to swap the caliper bolts out with the 1199 ones and add the spacers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the rear I bought.
The sticker is wrong as I found out .
It seems to match my 899 front.

I did not purchase a front rim yet .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the rear will work on a SSSA conversion. Cant remember if the front wheels between the 899 and base 1199 are the same style. Does front wheel come with brake rotors? if is does, then thats a bonus upgrade, but you will need to swap the caliper bolts out with the 1199 ones and add the spacers.

I posted a picture below. I have not purchased the front yet

·
Registered
82 Posts

That will do the trick. You don't need the front as they are the same. I did the conversion using a regular 1199 wheel. Looking to upgrade to lighter wheels though.

By the way, does anyone know if I can powder coat marchesini wheels?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
That will do the trick. You don't need the front as they are the same. I did the conversion using a regular 1199 wheel. Looking to upgrade to lighter wheels though.

By the way, does anyone know if I can powder coat marchesini wheels?
I understand that the powder coating must be monitored very closely to ensure that the temperature during the baking process remains within the tolerances of the forged aluminum or else it will degrade the strength of the wheel. Make sure that the vendor you choose has extensive experience with motorcycle wheels and not just cast or steel car wheels.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

So they put a Marchesini sticker on a base cast 1199 wheel? The 899 wheels are OEM Enkei.

I would weigh it to make absolute certain.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You must have the dealer plug your bike into the DDS or Ducati Diag System and then the upmap key plugs in to that and tells the machine you are licensed to unlock the RACE map on the ECU.

There is no download as it is preloaded and just gets activated.

This is true regarding the RapidBike. It will take some miles on the bike to readjust. I understand that having the RACE map just gets you closer so the module doesn't take as long to tune it in. Also, I thought that RapidBike has pre configurations that get you closer in to narrow the fine tuning.

Make sure you install the filter if you haven't already.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You must have the dealer plug your bike into the DDS or Ducati Diag System and then the upmap key plugs in to that and tells the machine you are licensed to unlock the RACE map on the ECU.

There is no download as it is preloaded and just gets activated.

This is true regarding the RapidBike. It will take some miles on the bike to readjust. I understand that having the RACE map just gets you closer so the module doesn't take as long to tune it in. Also, I thought that RapidBike has pre configurations that get you closer in to narrow the fine tuning.

Make sure you install the filter if you haven't already.

Do you think it's worth paying a dealer to install my upmap? If not I could just sell the MAP and let my Rapid Bike do it's thing.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts