Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we all know about the 600 miles/1000 km at 6000 and less. Has anyone though bothered to do, as the manual states, the next 1200 miles (or something silly) at 7000 revs?

I was thinking more of another 400 miles at 8000 and then go for it. What do we think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
My local Duc Dealer who does all my servicing basically if not literally said "ride it like you stole it," after my first service(600miles). He did add not to keep pegged for extended periods of time. However Ive basically kept it under 8k till i hit 1000 on the odo. Not saying take my dealers advice just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ran it in 2,3,4 gear through the rev range except redline for the first 30 miles. Then I rode it normal after that. The piston rings are seated by 20 miles or so anyways. Took the bike to the track today with 250 ish miles.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I rode the guts out of it from the start. My tech said if you baby these engines then they a crap in the long run. Get in there, get aggressive, and ride it as it was intended. Hard and fast.

My bike was very loud with stock cans but after 1000km I've noticed it's a bit quieter since the first service.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I feel that you should baby it for a 100 miles. After that make sure it's fully warmed each time you go out by riding around a bit then work the full rev range. Avoid constant revs and prolonged idling, Avoid hitting redline frequently (although it's ok a few times)... that's pretty much it.

There's no monitoring system that'll tell the manufacturer how you broke it in so you can really do whatever you want.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My dealer told me roughly +1000 rpm per every 100 miles, which I have done. Its my first new bike so taking their advice I haven't even had mine on race mode yet as im saving that until I can really open it up i.e over 1000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same run in dribble never changes.
Modern day engine oil, fuels and engineering, guys get your balls out of you lady friends handbags.
Let it warm properly, use the rev range normally. Don't let it hit the limiter, don't labor it, don't let it over heat. Use the whole gearbox. Use common sense. ***** revs to 6k for whatever. Use your bikes gents. Put lots of k's on them, cover them in stone chips, keep the rubber side down and just keep smiling.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I followed manufacturers recommendation until 500km mark just to set it in..then I went all out but I did a first service at 2500km which was not as per manufacturer recommendation but its natural that you change the engine oil as you are revving the engine and you tend to get all the metal shavings as the engine runs-in. Am now at 5000km mark. Due for the recommended service interval. Engine? Running stronger and smoother as ever! Then again, your bike..your call.

·
Registered
217 Posts
All I have to say is, get on it and beat the **** out of her! I took mine to the track after having a new engine installed and broke her in hard at the track. Runs as strong as ever and no issues after dropping her off at the dealership to do the 600 mile service again. Forget about babying her for the first 600 miles, and enjoy the bike already

·
Registered
4 Posts
I followed the break in procedure exactly as the manual states hoping for a long engine life. Who knows.
Its a disclaimer. Using common sense and correct maintenance, id like someone to factually demonstrate the difference between using the rev range through normal operation right from the get go, compared to "babying".

Yeah morally id hang off the track portion till the first service, bed the brakes in as well. But na, ive had many of high mileage sportbikes from new, never could i say (or a mechanic tell me) that there was any performance indifference attributed to the running in.
To note; a significant bike i had was a 99 Zx6. That was Tracked, dragged, end of tire life burnouts, commute and twisties. Clocked that bike and the last i heard, the guy who now owns it wacked another 20k on it.
And thats an old 600!

Long engine life, rubbish!
Half the problem is that there are too many bikes sitting in garages with rusted bores and acidic / moisture ridden engine oils from being garage ornaments. :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah I'm at about 300km (weather has sucked here so I haven't had much chance to get much on the clock yet) but I'm already getting a bit impatient with this 5k rpm shenanigans. Under 7k rpm for 2500km? You can't even hit the power or torque sweet spots with that - I'd lose my mind.

I'm almost wondering if lugging this thing around at 5 and under is worse than just givin' er. Is there really any actual risk to riding these things "properly" early on? Metal shavings causing problems or something? This is the most expensive bike I've owned so I'm babying it but I'm also getting super impatient :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for your posts. I just don't understand why this common opinion of give it full beans in pretty short order is so in contradiction with Ducati's own running in advice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I'm at about 300km (weather has sucked here so I haven't had much chance to get much on the clock yet) but I'm already getting a bit impatient with this 5k rpm shenanigans. Under 7k rpm for 2500km? You can't even hit the power or torque sweet spots with that - I'd lose my mind.

I'm almost wondering if lugging this thing around at 5 and under is worse than just givin' er. Is there really any actual risk to riding these things "properly" early on? Metal shavings causing problems or something? This is the most expensive bike I've owned so I'm babying it but I'm also getting super impatient :rolleyes:
Ditto. One of the responders put on the 1000 rpm per 100 rule - that makes a whole bundle of sense to me. As does the 'take it gentle' till bike is thoroughly warmed up. Sound advice both I believe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.