·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Remove the canister,
Fender eliminator,
Replace foot pegs (maybe rear sets),
Tank pad, &
Exhaust.
A few carbon fiber pieces here and there.

Reactions: Catiken

·
Registered
75 Posts
Take the evap canister off to fix the hot start issue ...
Evap canister has nothing to do with hot starting problems. It only collects fuel overflow and vapor, nothing else. Look to changing the starter & batter wires. Common problem with any Ducati. Motoletric: electrical upgrades for motorcycles is the key to an excellent starting. Ducati hot or cold. It's one of the best upgrades you can do.

I believe you can also remove the SAI (secondary air injection) and it will help some with recycled heat to the engine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evap canister has nothing to do with hot starting problems. It only collects fuel overflow and vapor, nothing else. Look to changing the starter & batter wires. Common problem with any Ducati. Motoletric: electrical upgrades for motorcycles is the key to an excellent starting. Ducati hot or cold. It's one of the best upgrades you can do.

I believe you can also remove the SAI (secondary air injection) and it will help some with recycled heat to the engine.

sorry.. im a nob with this stuff.. so.. just get the panigale kit? $90

·
Registered
337 Posts

Because doesn't have anything to do with the hot start ...I guess that's why

·
Registered
75 Posts
sorry.. im a nob with this stuff.. so.. just get the panigale kit? $90
All takes time and effort. I've been at this awhile, like 40+ years.

Yes but make sure you email them first. They can advise you best.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
So when you get your 899.. whats the first thing you have to do?

What mods are a MUST!
What's the first thing "I" do? Strip off all the street bodywork and install race plastics, but I'm weird.

As a street bike I would only do a couple of things.

1) Clean the chain - To me it looks like they don't even try to remove the packing grease from the chain before delivering the bike. Clean that stuff off and get a good o-ring chain lube on there.

2) Get a proper map installed at a qualified shop. Maps in stock motorcycles are compromises to meet worldwide emissions, noise and other standards. Even with the stock exhaust in place the bike can run much better than it does from the showroom floor if it has a good map in it.

3) Tank protector of some sort. I'm told that the 899 paint isn't terribly durable. I would probably just find some excess clear bra at a shop somewhere and install it, but there are a variety of good options available.

That's about all I would do to it for the street.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What's the first thing "I" do? Strip off all the street bodywork and install race plastics, but I'm weird.

As a street bike I would only do a couple of things.

1) Clean the chain - To me it looks like they don't even try to remove the packing grease from the chain before delivering the bike. Clean that stuff off and get a good o-ring chain lube on there.

Any brand? I went to see the bike and had white cum on the chian..lol

2) Get a proper map installed at a qualified shop. Maps in stock motorcycles are compromises to meet worldwide emissions, noise and other standards. Even with the stock exhaust in place the bike can run much better than it does from the showroom floor if it has a good map in it.

Like tuneboy? Any company have ecu flash ready maps?
I think I will be getting the austin racing exhaust.. (I know..but good tune?) will make it work?

3) Tank protector of some sort. I'm told that the 899 paint isn't terribly durable. I would probably just find some excess clear bra at a shop somewhere and install it, but there are a variety of good options available.

Im going to opti coat the bike.. some ppl say it will make it shine.. but saw a guy on youtube who did it on a matte black.. and it looked like saint black.. looked nice.

That's about all I would do to it for the street.
How about slider?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Sliders -

On the 748 frame sliders were a bad plan. They added large levers to the frame mounting points and often did more damage than good. I'm not sure about the 899, but a set of swing arm sliders are pretty easy and double as stand spools, so I would consider that for sure.

Mapping-

The shop I'm working with can simply map the ECU - no piggyback, no wiring. I like this method better than others. If you can find a shop nearby with that level of expertise, then they would be my pick.

Every bike and every exhaust is a little different. I think paying a few more bucks for a proper custom map is totally worth it. If I had to choose between an aftermarket exhaust system and a good map for the stock system I'd pick the map every day and twice on sundays.

- Chain
Use some kerosene to get the packing grease off. From there I like the chain lube that dries instead of staying wet. There are a bunch of different ones out there. The one I'm using currently isn't even really marketed for MC's, but is teflon suspended in something that evaporates pretty quickly. It's in a drip bottle instead of a spray, so I just put a couple of drips on each link. My race chains have been lasting whole seasons on this plan, so I'm going to stick with it. I'll grab the name of the stuff tomorrow for you.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts

Seems like about everyone on this and the 1199 forum just removed the charcoal can and the hot start problem was fixed. Worked like a charm for me. I'd say that and some new pegs are good places to start, and easy on the wallet, too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For me it was termis and filter fitted and map installed as I got them with the UK deal.

Next it would be tank pad then ventureshield paint protection (getting that done on Monday.. after the horse has bolted and I've picked up a stone chip already). I can vouch for how thin the red paint is cos I had a stone come over the fairing, hit my jacket and dop on the tank. It still had enough energy to tank a chunk of paint out back to the black base coat. Anyone in the UK who is interested... RS bike paints on E-Bay do anniversary red and its a good match... not cheap but good.

Then its sliders, tail tidy and a few cosmetic carbon goodies.

Oh and having lost a seat cover on the motorway its a new one of those too! the old one is destine to become a small rack base for trips to Europe.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I put sliders and spools on every time, replaced those gargantuan levers with adjustable shorties, and tank pads; which I still need to stick on. The last are critical, as the geometry of this bike requires a good anchor point and trying to clamp down on the tank without the pads is an excercise in futility. I might eventually go with a rear set, but wanted to ride her for awhile to make sure I need the adjustability, or just need better grip on the pegs.

Another 'mod' that's coming soon is a trip to a local suspension expert to get the suspension setup correctly. The stock setup is typically a compromise that works optimally for very few.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seems like about everyone on this and the 1199 forum just removed the charcoal can and the hot start problem was fixed. Worked like a charm for me. I'd say that and some new pegs are good places to start, and easy on the wallet, too.
You're welcome to believe what you want but it's not the source of the problem. Do you believe everything that's on the Internet?

I have a 1198R and a 996R, the only problem with starting as with the 996/S/R, to the 1199/R/S is the starter/battery wire conductivity. High engine and ambient temp, along with too small diameter starter wires, induces a large voltage reductions. Why do you think they put a great big hulking exhaust heat shroud around the header under the seat. I can assure you it wasn't because of being to cool..... ;)

Motoletric Kit was all that was needed. Wait until this summer when it gets hot outside and the bike is at it's upper operating temp range. It'll roll over once, pause and roll over a couple of more times before it either decides to start or not at all.

Keep in mind, removing the canister will void the Ducati's warranty, read your manual it's called an (unauthorized modification). Just trust me on this one. No dealer in his right mind will would allow it in California and jeopardies his business license for you or anyone for that matter. Talk to your dealer about it and see what they say but be careful not to hint it's you.

Two years ago a good friend of mine who lives in Schafter did the same thing. CHP caught it on a routine traffic stop. They impounded his Ducati. Between the impound and ticket, it cost him $1500.00. The Ducati had to be CARB smog recertified by the dealer, then re-inspected by the CHP. Loss of points, a court appearance, and cost him another $600 total.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Only in CA

You're welcome to believe what you want but it's not the source of the problem. Do you believe everything that's on the Internet?

I have a 1198R and a 996R, the only problem with starting as with the 996/S/R, to the 1199/R/S is the starter/battery wire conductivity. High engine and ambient temp, along with too small diameter starter wires, induces a large voltage reductions. Why do you think they put a great big hulking exhaust heat shroud around the header under the seat. I can assure you it wasn't because of being to cool..... ;)

Motoletric Kit was all that was needed. Wait until this summer when it gets hot outside and the bike is at it's upper operating temp range. It'll roll over once, pause and roll over a couple of more times before it either decides to start or not at all.

Keep in mind, removing the canister will void the Ducati's warranty, read your manual it's called an (unauthorized modification). Just trust me on this one. No dealer in his right mind will would allow it in California and jeopardies his business license for you or anyone for that matter. Talk to your dealer about it and see what they say but be careful not to hint it's you.

Two years ago a good friend of mine who lives in Schafter did the same thing. CHP caught it on a routine traffic stop. They impounded his Ducati. Between the impound and ticket, it cost him $1500.00. The Ducati had to be CARB smog recertified by the dealer, then re-inspected by the CHP. Loss of points, a court appearance, and cost him another $600 total.

Good Luck!
I'm glad I don't live in CA . I believe you on the wiring issues

·
Premium Member
236 Posts

Good Luck!
Yes, I believe everything I read on the internet. I did it, and have had zero problems since, that's just my personal experience. I guess I'll take my chances!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.