Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has seen Baron Von Grumbles latest Vlog but he left his bike out in the sun for about 40 mins and it resulted in a melted dashboard:confused:. I have not experienced this yet but also have not had it sitting in the sun, we have barely had any in Michigan. I know the 1199 has issues but I thought maybe that was only because of the TFT display. First has anyone on this forum experienced this yet? Second does anyone carry something to cover the dash with if they have to leave it in the sun..I would rather protect it then have to deal with a warranty claim.

Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI9zvCc9q78&list=UUwfiecilqgSBgnxAUhHAgkw

·
Registered
336 Posts
It melted cause he has the double bubble DP screen installed. Everyone knows that when you have the double bubble screen on there is a chance it will melt your dash.

I've left my bike out in the sun for half a day uncovered in the blistering sun with the stock screen and nothing has happened.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It melted cause he has the double bubble DP screen installed. Everyone knows that when you have the double bubble screen on there is a chance it will melt your dash.

I've left my bike out in the sun for half a day uncovered in the blistering sun with the stock screen and nothing has happened.
So it only happens to the double bubble? What if i want to fit mine with the SR series or others?

·
Registered
723 Posts

Ditto, very well known issue since the 1199 came out in 2012.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes...most aftermarket screens come with a warning not to park bikes into opposite direction of sunlight.

From Zero Gravity product page:

Motorcycle Dashboards: In certain rare instances the material used by motorcycle manufacturers in the construction of dashboards and gauges is made from plastics that have an inherently low melting point. Zero Gravity assumes no liability for any melting or deforming of the dashboard or its components due to heat from the sun or for any other reason. Please make sure to cover your dashboard if you plan to leave your bike exposed to the sun for any length of time.

Here is the PDF with full details:

http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/pdfs/melting_dash.pdf

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've ordered a Zero Gravity Smoked SR (Stock Replacement) screen, hopefully it won't melt anything.

Just because it is a stock replacement, if the curve is very so slightly different it could have this issue. I'm no physicist!
If you garage your bike or it's not parked out in the sun for hours and hours, then i wouldn't worry too much......or take your compass and remember to park due south as they advise! :D

When you get it, put them both together to see if they 'spoon' perfectly.

You live in sydney and the sun is pretty bl**dy strong! I was burning in the sun when i was there 3 weeks ago!

For safety just pop a piece of card wrapped in aluminium foil on top of the dash if caught out. Keep it under the seat.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts

I thought you were going to say "'because he had a double bloody visor ..." :)
Joke for those that watch his vblog.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just because it is a stock replacement, if the curve is very so slightly different it could have this issue. I'm no physicist!
If you garage your bike or it's not parked out in the sun for hours and hours, then i wouldn't worry too much......or take your compass and remember to park due south as they advise! :D

When you get it, put them both together to see if they 'spoon' perfectly.

You live in sydney and the sun is pretty bl**dy strong! I was burning in the sun when i was there 3 weeks ago!

For safety just pop a piece of card wrapped in aluminium foil on top of the dash if caught out. Keep it under the seat.
Aluminium foil... good idea mate. I'm off on a 2000 mile jaunt through France and Germany (Nuurbergring) in a few weeks and was thinking about a different screen. Simple but a brilliant solution :cool:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I am handsome as well as clever!
But am lacking humility...

What do they say? It is hard to be humble when you look this good? I am sure the bike helps!

Reactions: monty1001972
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.