Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short my 2014 899 had catastrophic engine failure, bought a low mile 2015 engine off an 899 and swapped them out. Was worried about the mapping the ECU and that I'd have to take it to a dealership, but I was reading about the Rapid Bike mod. Just wondering if I'd need to flash the ECU because of the new engine or if I just install the rapid bike mod, it would auto tune everything as I ride?

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions but every dealer I've dealt with seem incompetent and I'd much rather do all maintenance myself.

Last dealer I went to did the 7500 mile service, and only 300 miles after they touched my bike I had that catastrophic engine failure ( cam chain broke, gears were chewed up and a clutch plate was shattered.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
With a direct engine swap except for a 2014 for a 2015, I am not sure why you are concerned about the fuel mapping. I am not aware of any changes to the ECU specific to the engine between the model years. They should be running the same version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same happened to me! My 2014 899 went to dealer for an early oil service at 5200 miles. 200 miles later it chewed the cam driveshaft needle bearings, pumping the fragments around & scoring just about every bearing surface - the noise was awful. As there was still 6 months warranty left I had a new engine put in 3 weeks later & has since done a further 8000 trouble-free miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The same happened to me! My 2014 899 went to dealer for an early oil service at 5200 miles. 200 miles later it chewed the cam driveshaft needle bearings, pumping the fragments around & scoring just about every bearing surface - the noise was awful. As there was still 6 months warranty left I had a new engine put in 3 weeks later & has since done a further 8000 trouble-free miles.
**** luckily you had it under warranty. I wasn't as lucky. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree, the computer you have should work fine with any 899 engine.
Ok thanks. I was planning on getting it anyway so I won't have to take it to a dealership to get it mapped if I get aftermark exhaust, air filter, ect

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a direct engine swap except for a 2014 for a 2015, I am not sure why you are concerned about the fuel mapping. I am not aware of any changes to the ECU specific to the engine between the model years. They should be running the same version.
Ok cool! Thanks for the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts