Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi chaps

pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 899, test drove a 959, but a good one is still pricey

i do love the looks of the 848, but I've head the 899 is leaps ahead in handling, tech and comfort.

has anyone gone from an 848 to an 899, would they go back??

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had 848 evo x2 899 x2 and a 955 and loved them all, the Pani was a big step from the 848 in geometry and electronics. The 959 was a small improvement over the 899 but not much, with a few small mods you can bring an 899 past a 959 in handling and performance.

Depends what you want to do with it and your budget, If I wanted to keep a bike for a long time had a bit of cash and like the smaller Pani's I would be looking at the corse 959 with underslung exhaust. But you would be happy with an 899.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i plan on having it a while, the tech is the thing, the 959 was lovely but they are about £12k here

·
Registered
294 Posts
sounds the 899 is the ticket!

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeh I went with the 899 - picked one up for a reasonable price £ - couldn't really justify the extra.

but now look at the V2 as the next bench mark.... and before anyone starts the 899 and V2 is plenty of power for the road!! :LOL:

·
Registered
294 Posts
You won't get any of that not enough power **** here it's an 899 forum :)

Congats throw a couple of images up when you get a chance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
V2 is the same bike as an 959. 959 changed the em torque slightly and raised power to accommodate for the new Euro5 emissions. V2 technology makes no difference on the bike vs the 959 as it doesn’t make enough power to really use. It’s more of a reason to update the bike. Visually it was made to be brought in line with the V4.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club. I bought a '14 899 when it first came out, and have zero regrets. At the time I was ready to pull the trigger on either a Daytona or 848. I have an STR and both were just too similar so I got the 899. I had a chance to ride a 959 @ Misano for two days. It's basically just a refined version of the 899, with slightly better ergos and just a hair more performance; although I didn't really notice the latter. The game changer on the 959, but not worth the price, is the mirror mounts. If you track your bike, while removing the mirrors is pretty easy, putting them back on is a royal PITA. I finally gave up and drilled two holes in the subframe so I could just feed the mirror wires thru and connect them in the cockpit. The other mod you NEED to do, is remove the charcoal canister. Hot start issues are real, and it took me far too long to come to terms with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 899 has 15k mile valve adjustments over the 7,500 mile for the 848. That will save you money if you plan to actually ride it a lot of miles and keep it for a while. The 848 has known issues that I experienced if you decide to go that route (voltage regulator and fuel pump clamps off the top of my head), so keep that in mind if u buy a 848. While i loved my 848, it is a massive upgrade in terms of riding position, better electronics, more reliable, less maintenance and great track weapon. It just depends on how much u ride and what kind of riding. If you ask me, i would prefer a streetfighter 848 or 1098 or even new v4 over a street bike. Its fast, light and COMFORTABLE. It can serve the purpose of both street and race bike without having to deal with the headache of a uncomfortable riding position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts