Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First track day was in the Poconos with only 6 miles on the bike.

Second track day was at Thunderbolt and what a great day it was!

Changed the oil the night before, filter was covered in metal filings.

Didn't dial in the suspension until the rain cleared up and the track was dry.

This bike with stock suspension felt held and shoulders more reassuring than the pervious bike I took to the track last year and at the beginning of this season.

This bike was meant to be on the track! Can't wait for her track dress to come in!

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Road racing Motorcycle racer

Land vehicle Vehicle Road racing Motorcycle Motorcycle racer

Land vehicle Vehicle Sports Road racing Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks awesome. I can't wait to take mine to the track.

Do you know what kind of lap times you were putting down at Thunderbolt once it was dry?
I'm not at that point, yet, but it was definitely much faster than my Street Triple R. Approximately 115 into turn 12, 150ish down the straight and didn't dare take me eyes off of turn 1. I'll start tracking my lines and lap times soon.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now you didn't go over 6K RPM for proper break in right? :D
Hah! That's not the proper way to break in a bike :cool:

The only things you need to worry about are not to get it too hot and change the oil in the first 20+ miles. Two days on the track with 15 min sessions every hour is perfect for this and bike is perfectly broken in!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry. I cant help but notice that there is brown coloring on your exhaust.
Very observant, I didn't seat the oil filter cover back on properly and it was slow dripping oil. That's the oil burning off.

This guy, in the link below, doesn't know what he is talking about ... he strong armed everything, though Ducati, maybe Audi has had a good affect on them, has done a great job thinking everything through. Even when taking the rear tail lights and pillion pegs off there are pass through holes in the correct place to minimize removing other parts or getting burned for that matter. Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAi8jcpPjn4

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm not at that point, yet, but it was definitely much faster than my Street Triple R. Approximately 115 into turn 12, 150ish down the straight and didn't dare take me eyes off of turn 1. I'll start tracking my lines and lap times soon.
What year is your STR? I've got one that I've been tracking as well, and can't wait to get going on the 899. I'm hoping to do Thunderbolt the end of June.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I watched the oil change video and was shocked to see Ducati wants $40 for that tiny oil filter. I checked K&N's web site and they sell oil filters for 11.99. Anyone tried one?
Don't know where you saw $40, the OEM filter is $28:

Ducati Panigale OEM Oil Filter | 44440312B

I don't trust aftermarket filters on these newer engines. I've used a ton of them in race bikes of the past, and I always ran the K&N on my Kawasakis and Suzukis. But after having some conversations with Ducati service guys talking about how sensitive the oil pressure is in the Superquadro engine, I don't think I'd be willing to trust that another filter has been engineered to the same flow specs as the stock one. We had a bulletin a few years ago on Testastretta engines that there was a suspicion among race teams that they were blowing up engines when using K&N filters because there was too much filter material in them and they were restricting the oil pressure. YMMV

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What year is your STR? I've got one that I've been tracking as well, and can't wait to get going on the 899. I'm hoping to do Thunderbolt the end of June.
I have a White 2013 STR. It was great on the track until I started getting faster and faster in the turns, then the suspension started showing it's weakness, even setup properly. Instead of investing a ton on that bike, which I like as is on the street I decide to treat myself to a dedicated track bike. My decision has served me well. Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

I'll be at Thunderbolt the 28th, 29th & 30th, come by and say hello.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They guy on the video said 38 so I went with that. Then I did a Google search and saw $38 and $28 and was confused. Then I went to a web site and it showed two different part numbers for the filter. Then Amazon where I found the K&N. Plain bearing cranks do need a lot more pressure so when it comes time I think I will go OEM for now.

Jim

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The correct part number is 44440312B. The original 1199 filter part# was 44440291C, but that part number does NOT work on the 899, and has been replaced with the 44440312B filter which fits ALL Paniagle models now.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a White 2013 STR. It was great on the track until I started getting faster and faster in the turns, then the suspension started showing it's weakness, even setup properly. Instead of investing a ton on that bike, which I like as is on the street I decide to treat myself to a dedicated track bike. My decision has served me well. Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

I'll be at Thunderbolt the 28th, 29th & 30th, come by and say hello.
Will do...I'll PM you, as I have some questions regarding the track.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The cap covering the oil filter is easy to get off. It's already tapped for larger size screws and you simply tighten them to pop the cap off. Sorry I can't remember the size but the dealer should know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.