Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i have learned that my local dealer has not been very honest with repairing and recommended servicing which is leading me to a more self servicing mode. Does anyone have a good code reader i can start with to get to learn more about how to service my bike? I have a check engine light on now and I believe it could be a faulty sensor in my exhaust after my weekend ride. appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you explain all about the MelcoDiag setup? Specifically what is needed ect and where to buy? How "computer literate" do you have to be to connect/operate this system?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This post should tell you everything you need to know and give you an idea of how complex it is: JPDiag :: MelcoDiag
The most important thing is to buy the right OBD2 adapter, with the FTDI FT232RL chipset. There are many ELM327 adapters on eBay advertised as FTDI FT232RL, which instead have the cheaper (and NOT compatible) Prolific chipset. You won't be able to tell from the outside, but you can tell from Windows: if the FTDI drivers don't detect the adapter, it's likely a Prolific unit. Maybe look on Amazon, and in any case ask the seller to confirm before purchasing. ODB Innovations used to carry them but it seems they are out of stock... again you can try and contact them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will also need the Ducati DDA to OBD2 adapter cable. Here's the one I got, from ebay: 4 pin to OBD2 Diagnostic adapter connector for DUCATI Panigale | eBay

To recap, you need:
  • Windows Laptop (or Desktop, if you can get the bike close to it)
  • MelcoDiag + License (tool is free but I made a $10 donation to the guy who wrote it, once I got everything to work)
  • USB ELM327 OBD2 scan tool, with FTDI FT232RL, approx $10-25 (I paid $12 for it on eBay, but I got 2 with the wrong chipset before finally getting a good one; sellers gave me full refund as they were incorrectly listed as FTDI, so at the end I did not lose any money, just time).
  • Ducati DDA to OBD2 adapter cable, approx $30, see link above
At the end, I spent a little over $50, but I think it's worth it. I have not tried (yet) to reset the service light because I haven't reached that mileage yet, but I was able to read and clear some error codes caused by the flapper valve, and also do a TPS reset. Every other function of MelcoDiag worked properly, so I'm confident the service interval reset will work too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks again 120CCPM. I have ordered off ebay the items as you listed.I plan on getting help from a co-worker who is a computer wizz-kid to come to my house to assist. I will do it at the end of the riding season for me (October)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will also need the Ducati DDA to OBD2 adapter cable. Here's the one I got, from ebay: 4 pin to OBD2 Diagnostic adapter connector for DUCATI Panigale | eBay

To recap, you need:
  • MelcoDiag + License (tool is free but I made a $10 donation to the guy who wrote it, once I got everything to work)
  • USB ELM327 OBD2 scan tool, with FTDI FT232RL, approx $10-25 (I paid $12 for it on eBay, but I got 2 with the wrong chipset before finally getting a good one; sellers gave me full refund as they were incorrectly listed as FTDI, so at the end I did not lose any money, just time).
At the end, I spent a little over $50, but I think it's worth it. I have not tried (yet) to reset the service light because I haven't reached that mileage yet, but I was able to read and clear some error codes caused by the flapper valve, and also do a TPS reset. Every other function of MelcoDiag worked properly, so I'm confident the service interval reset will work too.

To recap, you need:

thank you 120CCPM very much for the detailed information. I am going to order the coder and cables this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts