Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
buklae620, how did it go? Were you able to get things sorted with the HDESA crank tool?
Herman at HDESA sent out the correct bolt via first class mail and it never arrived. I texted and called him about not receiving it and he shipped out a 2nd one via priority mail which arrived 2 days later.

I havent been back to wrenching due to other obligations. And the weather here in KS has been so up and down. It was in single digits the other day and I hate working in the cold temperatures. My space heater wasn't cutting it lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dropped off my bike a week ago, and just got a call from the dealer that the 15k mile service is complete and the bike is ready for a pick up. The bill is indeed pretty scary. You know, I can wrench, I wrench on all of my other bikes, it's just I really don't enjoy working on the 899 for some reason, just so many wires and electronics and just very complicated and fussy in general. But I can't bleed like this every couple of years, so if I'm gonna keep this bike, I'd better bite the bullet and start doing it myself. Ay yay yay...I new owning a Ducati would be expensive, and/but it indeed is.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I dropped off my bike a week ago, and just got a call from the dealer that the 15k mile service is complete and the bike is ready for a pick up. The bill is indeed pretty scary. You know, I can wrench, I wrench on all of my other bikes, it's just I really don't enjoy working on the 899 for some reason, just so many wires and electronics and just very complicated and fussy in general. But I can't bleed like this every couple of years, so if I'm gonna keep this bike, I'd better bite the bullet and start doing it myself. Ay yay yay...I new owning a Ducati would be expensive, and/but it indeed is.
I've never tried to adjust my own valves bc 1. I don't know how 2. I've been told there are special tools and 3. I don't have the shims

However. If you can spare 3-4 hours of your time and tear it down yourself before taking it to the dealer (or someone who has the tools and know how...) you will save yourself a lot of money.

I just ripped mine apart last week in 3 hours.

Front: Remove fairings, drain radiator (plug on lower left) remove fan, remove radiator shroud (watch for the 2 bolts at the VERY top behind the flappy panels) and radiators. To get to the hose clamp for the upper left rad hose you may need to remove the 3 screws holding the black electronics panel onto the 'frame' so you can pull it out.

Mid: Drain gas tank. Remove 3 plastic fairing pieces around the key area, remove 2 bolts holding the tank on up front (pull metal sleeve outwards a little in the middle of the rubber grommet after removing bolts), remove 2 vent lines from front right of tank (if you haven't done an EVAP removal, keep track of which went to which nipple on tank), remove the fuel line from back right of tank. Remove 2 nuts, 1 bolt from tank bracket at rear of tank. Lift up rear of tank, unplug the connector for the fuel pump and the small ground wire. Lift tank off bike and set down. Highly recommend covering open airbox. A plastic bag + bungee around the flange work well.

Rear: Unplug big rectangular connector for the box under the seat, unplug small white connector for the taillight wiring. You can unplug the rear O2 from the connector behind the ECU (one bolt to remove ECU) on right side or attempt to unscrew from exhaust (pain). Remove 4 subframe bolts (T40), remove entire tail of bike and set down.

Your valves are now ready to be checked.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND new spark plugs (NGK 6869 MAR9A-J) and new valve cover gaskets--re-using the old ones results in oil leakage down the side/back/front of the heads.

:tango_face_smile:

Pics attached (hopefully they work)

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tore mine all apart and did the 15k mile service interval on my own. I completed it around February and luckily all of my valves were in spec so no adjustment required.

I just followed the service manual and took my time. :tango_face_smile::tango_face_smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Adding a datapoint...
Just had my desmo (15k service) performed in the Seattle Area. Cost came in at $1,943. Valves were in spec, no adjustment needed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts