Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put one of those DDA/GPS on my bike for the track and I gotta say Im lovin it. I was on a straight trying to keep up with a couple of instructors glanced down at 120mph. When I got back to my computer and was looking at the data i actually hit 130.598mph in 4th gear. I was also able to see that I start slowing down way to early and could even hit the corners a lot faster. Anyhow my question is what is the top speed you have hit on your 899? I'm still fairly new to the street bike thing and that was by far the fastest I have ever gone. Do you recall in Star Wars when they hit warp speed the stars become lines well thats what the grass looked like to me! At least from what I can remember...:D

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
@tdarst

The data on my bike says 149.3 at the end of the long straight at High Plains Raceway here in Colorado.

I believe that the pickup is at the rear wheel, though, not off of the GPS, so I'm guessing that like most motorcycle speedometers it's optimistic by some amount, probably in the 5% range.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My dash has read 152/153mph a few times now :p

I haven't tried recording a run with the GPS app on my phone to see what the dash error % is yet though, since those runs are never planned in advance haha!

I'll for sure do it in the next couple months tho. Once I get my new tires installed this weekend and have a couple hundred miles on then I'll be game. Now that I have literally every aspect of the bike perfectly dialed in now to my liking, I am going to shoot for a real balls out true top speed run in perfect ideal conditions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dash has read 152/153mph a few times now :p

I haven't tried recording a run with the GPS app on my phone to see what the dash error % is yet though, since those runs are never planned in advance haha!

I'll for sure do it in the next couple months tho. Once I get my new tires installed this weekend and have a couple hundred miles on then I'll be game. Now that I have literally every aspect of the bike perfectly dialed in now to my liking, I am going to shoot for a real balls out true top speed run in perfect ideal conditions.
Sweet! Let me know.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Will do for sure! I'm hoping to hit a true GPS 169mph.

The fastest GPS speed I've ever been on a car or bike is 168mph in my Trans Am back when it has 2.73s. Now it's max is about 148mph with a 3.42 rear.

I think I read somewhere that the 899s top speed is like 171/172mph because of it's gearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
176 in my GT3RS at COTA :)

Take it slow if you are just starting out. Better to work on being smooth with braking/steering input and transition into power delivery than worry about top speed. I remember Greg Abbott riding a Ducati 916 at TWS in 1999 passing a CBR900 with a Mr Turbo turbo kit in the infield on every singlelap during a sprint race, only to have the Turbo blast past on the straight. The Turbo bike trap speed was over 150, but Greg would always catch him half way around the infield. Be smooth in and out of the corner and your terminal straight speed will increase quickly. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a youtube video of a german guy doing 281Kph (174.61Mph) somewhere in Germany. That is the fastest I have seen anyone going on an 899.

When I get mine eventually (been waiting 3 months so far for delivery) I'll be putting that to test on an airstrip :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm managed to hit about 130 on our local track. Going to Road America at the end of the month and can really see what she's got.

·
Registered
723 Posts
When accelerating to those speeds, any issues with the stock dampener? Anyone upgrade?
I've found it to be sorta adequate, does the job. I had the Ohlins on my 848 and haven't felt the *need* to replace this one yet, but I will eventually. There are certainly other much more important things to save for and upgrade first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did notice mine was getting kind of rough in the front haven't been riding long enough to know what all that was about.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The only think I changed were the springs to account for my weight. Set everything to stock specs otherwise and bike performs well.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
277km/hr, low wind and a pretty good road.....I weigh 105kg.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
277km/hr, low wind and a pretty good road.....I weigh 105kg.
I saw an earlier post that you had already fitted the Termi's and now plan on CF wheels. What other mods have you done? 105kg at 277km/h is impressive on the 899.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I saw an earlier post that you had already fitted the Termi's and now plan on CF wheels. What other mods have you done? 105kg at 277km/h is impressive on the 899.
Other than the Termis….
Alarm, Upgraded seat, Rear crowl, Fender eliminator, Ducabike Triple Clamp, Front and rear sliders, Dark DB windscreen, Ducabike Rear Sets, Carbon Fiber parts – Rear shock guard / Heel Guards / Front fender / Rear fender & Chain guard / Exhaust guard / Under tank side panels / Key guard, Integrated tail light, EK3D chain, MWR High efficiency air filter, Bitubo steering damper, Bar end sliders, Clutch & Brake reservoirs, Frame plugs, Radiator guard.

Yeah, most of its just for the bling factor but the few performance parts I’ve added have made a big difference, I highly recommend the MWR air filter if you have Termis fitted. My CF wheels arrive in 4 weeks (I hope!), I’ll post some pics once fitted along with a review.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.