Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for that, hmmmm some nice mid range gains.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
snap...forgot I even had this thread. I haven't been on the forum for a while. Able beat me to it, but I've got a 1299s system i'm going to fitting up...I'll have some pics and time-lapse of the build coming in a few weeks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Leave it all loose while installing it. And the header bolts are pr*cks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I actually didn't have an issue getting them off, once you get the lower radiator fan shroud off...

did you do anyting about the mapping? DDS key?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I actually didn't have an issue getting them off, once you get the lower radiator fan shroud off...

did you do anyting about the mapping? DDS key?
I meant getting the 1299 system on as you know it's a different configuration to the stock.
It had a RapidBike EVO on it already so after a couple of hundred on the track it was perfect, but in saying that it was quite good right from start up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
snap...forgot I even had this thread. I haven't been on the forum for a while. Able beat me to it, but I've got a 1299s system i'm going to fitting up...I'll have some pics and time-lapse of the build coming in a few weeks.
Any updates buddy? Did you get round to making that video?

·
Registered
830 Posts
How about this as an option? Ever hear of "Cerakote"? Its a ceramic paint that a lot of gun owners use to refinish weapons and silencers, because its a ceramic paint. You can even get it I think from Brownell's. Just repaint your stock exhaust if you're just interested in the color black?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I'm getting a good deal on a 1199 exhaust, which I plan in coring and installing on my 899. I don't have any tuner yet, and it will be a while before I can get one, can I run this exhaust without a new map? I'll be getting the rapid bike evo.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Put 899/1299 full exhaust on it, it was a nice I'm improvement.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi, thanks for your reply, do you know if I can run the 1299 exhaust without a rapidbike evo?
Yes I have taken the rapid bike off the 899 and am using the bike for street riding, It's fine.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yes. the 959 and 1299 are the same though
The pipe diameter is larger on the 959 and 1299 all the way through, but the header flange is the exact same size for all of the models...Makes it nice n easy for the swap.

How about this as an option? Ever hear of "Cerakote"? Its a ceramic paint that a lot of gun owners use to refinish weapons and silencers, because its a ceramic paint. You can even get it I think from Brownell's. Just repaint your stock exhaust if you're just interested in the color black?
Any paint is not going to hold up. I had my pipes jet hot coated which is extremely tough. I have side exit exhaust on my car and the pipes are jet hot coated inside and out to keep the pipe temp down. And that coating has taken some hits (as it's under the car) and it's still all there! Amazingly. it's tough as ****. And when i called the guys at jet hot, the guy said he had 3 jobs there at the time that were all Cerakot before. I wouldn't bother with that stuff...

Any updates buddy? Did you get round to making that video?
I've got everything on, i just haven't been on the forums or have edited the time lapse video because I'm not riding right now :tango_face_sad: I'm on a blood thinner till August and my family is forcing me to not ride in the mean time...But, i think i gotta some stuff i can put up in the mean time...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Here are a few of the pics i took during the process....

Here you can see the big difference in the pipe ID

The biggest difference in why one must replace the whole exaust versus just getting the cans off of the new bikes, is that the new bikes use V-Band flanges...

that's some weird optical illusion as to why the one of the left looks bigger, when it's actually not...

The other noticeable difference between the two exhausts, is the new ones are made in less pieces. For example, the header pipe on the 899 is made up of two pieces, the 1299 is only 1... Saving weight obviously

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And here is the after product....
you may see that i picked the wrong finish for the pipes...My can is a matte finish (OEM), but i chose the satin finish for the jet hot coating as it was recommended by the rep for easier cleaning...

Either way, i'm happy with the results...

I was attempting to a close up of the finish... and as you can also see, the pipe is coated on the inside as well, althought it not satin black...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i forgot a pic from the other post...but for some reason, you can't edit posts after a certain point... weird...

but anyway, another big difference is the mounting of the heat shield. The 899 has the shield mounted to the exhaust, and the 959 and up have their shield mounted to the subframe... However, the same holes in the 899 subframe frome the passenger pegs can be utilized. This was a big relief. I did this in some respect to help with the heat, and it would have been all for naught if i couldn't use a heat shield to help with it...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
But all is not well in Gabba land.

Something is rattling when I rev the bike form idle, but only on decel, I'm not sure what it is yet. it's very high pitched vibration / ringing sound...
I'll have to break the bike down completely again to find it... but so far so good. I haven't ridden the bike yet either :-(

The pan was there as a safety factor, and the oil/stains in it are not from the bike..

·
Registered
274 Posts
899 with 1299 exhaust

That was a great write up on the conversion, much better than I could do but the message is it's a great way to up grade the exhaust if funds are a bit tight. Oh and the larger exhaust fits the lower fairing without burning.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I forgot to say, I used the 1299 heat shield and bolted onto the subframe I found it worked better than the 899 setup.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts