Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, sir, but it has to be modified to remove the electronic adjusters if it's the OEM ttx. If it's an aftermarket one, it will bolt right on with no changes.
Thank @jarelj your input and expertise is well appreciated here...at least by me. pretty sure its a stock piece the price is rite 350$ Is the modification something i can do myself or best done by dealer. Im just starting to gather bits to make her track ready. Although admittedly i have little experience with track builds!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thank @jarelj your input and expertise is well appreciated here...at least by me. pretty sure its a stock piece the price is rite 350$ Is the modification something i can do myself or best done by dealer. Im just starting to gather bits to make her track ready. Although admittedly i have little experience with track builds!
You'll have to send it to an Ohlins service center to have it done, otherwise you'll end up with an aluminum adjuster-sized hole in your forehead when you try to take it apart! ;) Hit up @rybo, he mentioned before he was having a shop do that same modifiction to an 1199S shock. We could do it but we don't have the parts in stock.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
@Motojunkie

I had the work done by STM Suspension here in Colorado. Dave (the owner) has done my suspension for years and always does outstanding work. The work isn't difficult but requires a healthy quantity of special tools, which would make it cost prohibitive to do on your own. Jarel isn't kidding about the hole in your head, by the way. There are several hundred psi of nitrogen in the shock that makes disassembly by an amateur potentially dangerous.

I'll ride on it for the first time this weekend at Miller and report the results on the forums here.

STM Suspension | Motorcycle Suspension Tuning in Northern Colorado. Specializing in WP Suspension.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Motojunkie

I had the work done by STM Suspension here in Colorado. Dave (the owner) has done my suspension for years and always does outstanding work. The work isn't difficult but requires a healthy quantity of special tools, which would make it cost prohibitive to do on your own. Jarel isn't kidding about the hole in your head, by the way. There are several hundred psi of nitrogen in the shock that makes disassembly by an amateur potentially dangerous.

I'll ride on it for the first time this weekend at Miller and report the results on the forums here.

STM Suspension | Motorcycle Suspension Tuning in Northern Colorado. Specializing in WP Suspension.
Thanks guys! So stoked to be part of such a wealth of knowledge. Good luck this weekend let me know how you like the ttx setup. I think ill send it out if i ended up picking it up. As Jarelj said though i may just seek out an aftermarket ohlins, still need to crunch the numbers see what cost effective. Its a 1 pc on a long list of mods :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks guys! So stoked to be part of such a wealth of knowledge. Good luck this weekend let me know how you like the ttx setup. I think ill send it out if i ended up picking it up. As Jarelj said though i may just seek out an aftermarket ohlins, still need to crunch the numbers see what cost effective. Its a 1 pc on a long list of mods :)
Two main differences there: The OEM TTX is the original TTX36 model that has street-oriented valving in it. The aftermarket TTX MKII and now the new TTX GP have track-oriented valving in them. You can get the OEM TTX revalved with the track valving, which I'm sure is what Rybo had done. Not sure on the cost of all that by the time you're all done modifying the stock one vs. just buying a new TTXGP. We are an Ohlins Service Center so I can hook you up with one of the new ones if you decide to go that direction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine is still for sale.

valves installed and fresh oil put in at Öhlins USA in Hendersonville, NC.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, initial report is very, very good.

The shock is a major upgrade from the stock unit, even with the stock linkage.

Without question, it was worth a couple of seconds on Miller West.

This will be one of my most recommended modifications.
Ooooooo!!!!

I'm pretty stoked to hear more about your feelings about this upgrade. I really hate the rear suspension, the forks aren't bad though. I bought a TTX off of ebay as well and I'm following your advice about STM.

Are you going to try for the forks as well?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but in my opinion this is one of the best mods you can do hands down. Short of getting your suspension tuned and for me, the slipper clutch, this is an absolute must have if you ride on the track or ride hard.

I couldn't ever get the rear to play nice, but once I got the TTX GP on, game over.

The front forks are pretty solid for the record.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Ooooooo!!!!

I'm pretty stoked to hear more about your feelings about this upgrade. I really hate the rear suspension, the forks aren't bad though. I bought a TTX off of ebay as well and I'm following your advice about STM.

Are you going to try for the forks as well?
Still one of the best mods I made to the bike - that being said, mine is what I would call a "reasonable serious" build. I'm trying to do this racing thing on a "budget" after all.

Which is why I went down this path with the used 1199TTX from the local euro salvage shop.

Even after the conversion I was considerably less $ into it than any of the other good aftermarket shocks, and because it's an Ohlins I got easy access to different spring rates, which is really the most important part. Some minor tuning (clickers) later the lap times dropped as expected.

I still highly recommend this modification.

For the forks - last year I did some dorking around trying to make the stock BPF stuff work. The springs are a bit of a goofy size, so we ended up merging parts out of a ZX10 BPF fork and coming up with something that worked pretty well. Early this year I came across a good deal on a slightly used set of GP Suspension Cartridges that would fit in the 899 forks, so I got them. We got the right springs in them and instantly the front end was better. These parts were also intended for the zx10, so if you go looking for them GP doesn't make anything specifically for the 899, but the ZX10 bits work. Ohlins makes a cartridge for it as well, and it may be the easiest way to go.

All in all suspension is really important, most important of all though is the spring. If you can get that part right the rest of it is tuning.

Let us know how yours turns out!

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.