Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a far out thought but any chance we could get the sexy 1199 dash on the 899? I think show stoppers would be a computer incompatibility or different dash connector. From a rough picture comparison I think the size is similar. I also get the feeling like this swap would either be super simple or impossible. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would say that it certainly is possible with enough money and skill. It's not like you're talking about slapping it on a completely different bike either. I would imagine that all the sensors between the bikes are the same or extremely close. So the question is how much do the dashes differ in function?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
timt89 - Every couple weeks I do some searching to see if anyone has done the swap and never had any hits. I have a similar feeling.

warlord - Hypothetically I agree with you and I believe the dashes have similar function.

Rowan - How I came to own my 899 is somewhat unique and very awesome. My wife got it for me for Christmas and I am never going to get rid of it. I understand your argument though and you have a valid point.

From a cost perspective it is not astronomical if it is just a dash swap. I have been seeing units on eBay for 800 dollars brand new uncoded. Same price as the LED headlight swap but in my opinion a lot for bang for your buck.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'd upgrade for $800. I like the way it displays the lap times in much larger font. I have trouble seeing the little timer on the 899.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Found one for $549 (buy it now)
Ducati Panigale s 1199 2012 Gauge Cluster Dash Speedometer Speedo Display | eBay

Since it is only a display and not the ECU itself, I would have expected that it would simply report what the sensors are telling it. HOWEVER, I saw a Monster for sale that had to have its display replaced because the original had been cracked and the odometer had reset itself to zero, so there could be something being logged inside the display.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'd think for sure you need the ECU as well, then you have the issue of getting the ignition switch and key set to work with it, then would you even be able to flash the 899 tune into an 1199 ECU? Not using official Ducati software that's for sure.

Personally, years down the road when my engine finally takes a ****, then I would throw and 1199 engine with ECU and dash into an 899.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm still stunned no one has done this. It seems to be slightly more involved than the LED swap yes but with the electrical knowledge of some of the guys on here you would think someone would have taken the plunge by now.

I'm planning on asking the service manager about it tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm still stunned no one has done this. It seems to be slightly more involved than the LED swap yes but with the electrical knowledge of some of the guys on here you would think someone would have taken the plunge by now.

I'm planning on asking the service manager about it tomorrow...
When you pick up your bike...??? YES? Say it!!!

If anyone knew around this area, it would be Jordan... Dan might. Don't ask the guy who answers the phone. He is likely to ask, "The 1199 has a color TFT display???"

Reactions: alfredogtx

·
Registered
197 Posts
When you pick up your bike...??? YES? Say it!!!

If anyone knew around this area, it would be Jordan... Dan might. Don't ask the guy who answers the phone. He is likely to ask, "The 1199 has a color TFT display???"
BAHAHAHHA!! my thoughts exactly.

I have to go by parts to pick up the Rizomas anyways so Ill put a bug in his ear. Im going to die laughing if its plug and play and we are all biting our nails about doing it for nothing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that's the case all of the BNIB 1199 dashes are all the sudden going to disappear off eBay. Thanks for taking the ball on this one chouse34, we are looking forward to your answer.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
BAHAHAHHA!! my thoughts exactly.

I have to go by parts to pick up the Rizomas anyways so Ill put a bug in his ear. Im going to die laughing if its plug and play and we are all biting our nails about doing it for nothing
I just got your PM... will check it out.

On the dash, I doubt it would be too easy or else it wouldn't say Ducati on the side. But PM me first if it is doable, I don't want these guys beating me to eBay! (evil grin)

·
Registered
197 Posts
If that's the case all of the BNIB 1199 dashes are all the sudden going to disappear off eBay. Thanks for taking the ball on this one chouse34, we are looking forward to your answer.
I'll keep you guys posted. On that note my pickup has actually been moved to Thursday so I will have an update then (no this does not mean I'm picking up Wednesday and want to have 24 hours to place my TFT order in case it's a direct fit):D

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll keep you guys posted. On that note my pickup has actually been moved to Thursday so I will have an update then (no this does not mean I'm picking up Wednesday and want to have 24 hours to place my TFT order in case it's a direct fit):D
Guys Jordan says its not worth it. You're talking about re flashing the ECU and being stuck with whatever milage is on the dash that you order. To his knowledge no one has done it yet and for good reason. Despite his seriously high levels of "Duc-fu" even he described it as "opening a can of worms" :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
You would want to make sure you had the dash the ignition the gas cap and the trunk lock. Then plan to do then mod when the mileage matches. I've seen all the matching set parts available used for about $600 but it's not worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wiring diagrams in the back of the owners manuals show both 899 dash and 1199S dash to have a 34 pin connector. All 34 pins have the same function, in the same spots.
I don't know, but would assume the connectors to be the same physical part/component. Why go to the expense of a different connector when they are both to serve the same purpose..
Therefore, and again, only an off chance assumption here, but my guess is that the 1199S dash will physically bolt in place, and plug directly into the 899.

Now, i very much doubt key sets/locks/fuel caps are going to have any interaction with the dash display. I believe they would be irrelevant to this swap.

What I don't know, but would love to find out is..
Does the display have its own layout/setup internally, or does it receive this info from the ECU?
(I have an AiM MXL in a car. The layout is preconfigured internally, and cannot be altered via an external program. What channels you want can be, but the location and how things are displayed, is hard coded into the dash itself.)
This would determine whether your new pretty colour dash display simply reverts to monochrome due to what the ECU sends it.
Or, does the dash have some internal processor/memory, giving the layout/colour?
If so, with all pinouts being identical, I would think that the display would take those inputs and display the parameters in the preset locations/areas of the screen.
IE, plug'n'play.

Why would Ducati Tech tell you it's not easy/can of worms?
Simply, that's not the retail product they sold you.

If this hasn't been discovered by the time I have my 899, I'll be finding out for myself.

·
Registered
793 Posts
A friend of mine is a Ducati Master Tech. He told me the display is not compatible with the 899 ECU. I didn't ask for details but I'll look into it in a little more detail. I was hoping for a plug and play solution but unfortunately that's not the case.

From what I understand the display is just a slave unit. It's only going to display what the ECU tells it to. The 899 ECU is outputting a monochrome signal so no color. The format for the display is also going to come from the ECU. The 1199 dash may fire up on a 899 but at best it will display exactly what the 899 dash does. There may be some way to flash an 1199 ECU to 899 spec but it would take a significant amount of programming knowledge and Ducati may not be so willing to provide much detail. The chance that you could brick the unit is a real possibility.

Reactions: Dynasty

·
Registered
25 Posts
1199 Color dash installed

Installed a brand new (0 Mileage) 1199 color Led dash on my 899. A straight forward swap as the connector are similar and compatible. All setting work fine and display look great.
The only issue I found is the display of "Unknown Device".

Will be posting photos and videos in a bit.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts