Durability 899 on Track - Page 2 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 09-18-2016, 06:26 PM

My First couple of Oil changes (5000kms -/+) apart I notice the oil was "dirty" but not burnt.
I had to use Motorex one change due to no Motul not being available and was a surpised on quickly the oil when black and had that "metallic" shine to it.
I'm up to 19'000kms in hot weather and the only major issues have been coolant leak from thermostat housing and new water pump.

A friend who tracks his 899 has only had water pump to be changed. But I noticed his valve train noise seems to be louder than my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM

This article helped ease my mind about the 899's durability:

Ducati 899 Panigale Superquadro Engine Technical Analysis | Cycle World
Mariner likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-20-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaForce View Post
This article helped ease my mind about the 899's durability:

Ducati 899 Panigale Superquadro Engine Technical Analysis | Cycle World

Oh yea. That was a good article. Pretty much sums up how beefy the engine is. I think with regular care and maintenance the engine should outlast the rest of the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XCLR8TN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 12-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Garage
Have you upgraded the conrods? Thatís supposed to be one point of failure.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3thelast View Post
Oh yea. That was a good article. Pretty much sums up how beefy the engine is. I think with regular care and maintenance the engine should outlast the rest of the bike.

Checking in here. I've got almost 70k on my bike now. No real issues to speak of. There is always a little bit of metallic material on my drain plug, and I change the oil anywhere from 3500-5000 miles.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #16 of 19 Old 12-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCLR8TN View Post
Checking in here. I've got almost 70k on my bike now. No real issues to speak of. There is always a little bit of metallic material on my drain plug, and I change the oil anywhere from 3500-5000 miles.

Nice. Iím over due for my yearly change. Havenít been riding much as of late due to a new job. Only 19,000 miles as of my last check in. No issues to report, might need a new chain though.

post #17 of 19 Old 12-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Garage
I've just finished my 4th season of racing the 899 at a club level. In an abundance of caution the bike is inspected and valves checked at Boulder Motorsports each off season. Oil is changed after every race round.

I sometimes see aluminum flakes in the oil, but I attribute this to clutch wear from race starts. 4 seasons in and the bike has needed one valve re-shimmed. Other than that it's been normal wear items (clutch, chain, sprockets, brake pads, tires).

I'm very pleased with the build quality of the bike, it's reliability and durability.

Would buy again.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-13-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybo View Post
I've just finished my 4th season of racing the 899 at a club level. In an abundance of caution the bike is inspected and valves checked at Boulder Motorsports each off season. Oil is changed after every race round.

I sometimes see aluminum flakes in the oil, but I attribute this to clutch wear from race starts. 4 seasons in and the bike has needed one valve re-shimmed. Other than that it's been normal wear items (clutch, chain, sprockets, brake pads, tires).

I'm very pleased with the build quality of the bike, it's reliability and durability.

Would buy again.
@rybo you failed to mention how many race miles on the bike, seems your north of 5,000 miles now.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomsl View Post
@rybo you failed to mention how many race miles on the bike, seems your north of 5,000 miles now.
You're correct - the bike is just north of 5000 miles. 2017 was not a great year for my on-track mileage record as I spent a lot of time running the local race club, and less time racing in it.

I got 3 solid days in at Road America this past summer, and I'm looking forward to doing that again in 2018. Heck I might even grid up and race there, we'll see.

My bike has been a racebike since, literally, mile 7. The dealer assembled and test rode it and I rode it exactly 1 mile before taking all of the street equipment off and converting it to a racebike. The engine was broken in on a dyno, and I went to the track and rode it as intended from that point forward.

5000 miles doesn't seem like a lot, especially compared to Jessika, who's pushing on 100K miles on hers, but these racetrack miles are hard miles.

Some things I'm doing - I'm always ALWAYS warming the bike up before riding it. As soon as I get to the track I'm starting the bike, letting it get to about 180F and then shutting it off, letting the metal heat soak and warming the whole engine. Before the first session I'm warming it up again. There are a bunch of different metals in there (steel, stainless steel, aluminum, brass, bronze etc) and they're all engineered to work with the engine being warm. They expand at different rates as they warm up, so it's important, especially with the racetrack where we ask for all of the bike's power output, to make sure all of the metals are in the appropriate temperature range before we ask too much of the bike.

I'm changing the oil very frequently - like every race round (generally a few hundred miles). While I view this as precautionary, and very likely overkill, in "race bikes past" I've found that this little bit of hands-on activity helps me find issues before they become problems. Everything from something as big as hunks of metal in the oil, but the engine hasn't let go yet to something small like a hole that's developed in the exhaust during the last few hundred miles that can be easily welded now instead of replacing parts later. As the old saying goes, an ounce (or about 3.2 quarts) of prevention...

I'm pretty anxious to get back on track. '17 was not my strongest riding season and I'm really looking forward to improving that in '18. I'm lucky that I get to coach at the Yamaha Champions Riding School in the winter time, and I've got one of those in for this off-season already. Looking forward to going back to AZ in January and hopefully making a few more riders love the sport even more. It's good for my mental health too, at least according to my wife, Sarah, who says I'm less "jerkish" if I get to ride during the winter.

Like I said before, I'm really happy with he 899. I'm starting my 17th season of track riding / racing in 2018 and in that time I've not owned a better bike. Can't wait to ride it some more!

-scott
axiomsl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page