Track tires - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-17-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Track tires

Okay, so I know this is personal preference, but.... any suggestions for track tires. So far I've just been on the stock street tires. I'm not fast enough yet for slicks, so...
any suggestions on my next set of rubber from everyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM

Garage
The Pirelli Supercorsa SPs have been pretty good to me. I'm gonna be running Pirelli Superbike Pro rear and a Superbike SC01 front. I'll let you know how that goes.

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)
post #3 of 16 Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 PM

Keep in mind the electronics on the bike are designed to work with certain tires, so you can't go wrong with using those. In the case of track tires, the bike is set up for Pirelli SuperCorsa SC2 race tires. If you find another tire that has similar dimensions, you can get by with it, such as the Bridgestone V01 slicks that I ran last year. Otherwise, you can really screw up the performance of the electronics on the track by running mis-sized tires. The stock rear is a 180/60 profile, which is unusual.
Hot Air and 2M Duc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-18-2015, 01:55 PM

Garage
Matt - @2M Duc

I've been running the supercorsa SC tires that Jarel mentions and they work great.

Keep in mind that the only REAL difference between a DOT race tire and a slick is that the DOT tire has some grooves cut in it to the minimum required for highway use. Other than that they are essentially the same.

Also consider the other costs you might incur - full race tires (DOT or slick) at the track will lead to needing tire warmers and the such as they are made to operate in a narrow (and hot) temperature range.

The Supercorsa SP is a great compromise - no warmer needed, the same dimensions as the tire the electronics were designed to work with and even decent cold weather / damp track performance. A little more grip than the stock Rossos without the headache of the full race tire.

Oscar at Sol Performance is the Pirelli Race tire dealer in Colorado - get in touch with him and he'll get you steered the right direction!
Hot Air, 2M Duc, MegaForce and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Garage
Can we run q3s' at 190/55/17 rear and 120/55/17?

If that's possible
post #6 of 16 Old 05-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Let's talk about the Diablo Rosso Corsa's (DRC's) for a moment. Sportbiketrackgear.com has them on sale for $259 per SET (front and rear) which is a great deal so I bought a couple of sets to keep in my garage to get me through the year of street riding. This past weekend I burned through a set of SC2's in a single day at the track and that gets a bit expensive after a while. I know the DRC's use the SC2 compound on the edge of the tire so I'm wondering if they would be suitable to use on track. I mean, they're definitely fine for the occasional track-goer but I am a fast-intermediate rider (I run 1:28's at Jennings for context) and want to get your opinion / experiences if you think they'd be up to handle that pace.
ahvengeance likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-19-2015, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_D899 View Post
Let's talk about the Diablo Rosso Corsa's (DRC's) for a moment. Sportbiketrackgear.com has them on sale for $259 per SET (front and rear) which is a great deal so I bought a couple of sets to keep in my garage to get me through the year of street riding. This past weekend I burned through a set of SC2's in a single day at the track and that gets a bit expensive after a while. I know the DRC's use the SC2 compound on the edge of the tire so I'm wondering if they would be suitable to use on track. I mean, they're definitely fine for the occasional track-goer but I am a fast-intermediate rider (I run 1:28's at Jennings for context) and want to get your opinion / experiences if you think they'd be up to handle that pace.
The tires are totally up to the task, but will likely cost 1/2 to a full second a lap in lap time.

For reference, I used them on my first track day on my bike and was roughly 2 seconds off my pace at PPIR. There are a lot of variables here: first day on the bike, set-up issues, first day out that season etc, but the tires were not the limiting factor. I could have probably gone faster if I had pushed.

The DRC is a great tire - offers good grip without needing a tire warmer or being terrible when it rains.
JB_D899 likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM

Anyone here have any experience with the Dunlop DOT race tire- the GP-A?
Interested in not burning through tires quite so fast with my increasingly frequent track days.

Dunlop Racing » GP-A Pro
post #9 of 16 Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 PM

I had the US GPA Pros in 190/60 and now the UK D212 in 190/55. I really like the profile and feel of the GPA pros. But I'm getting ready to go back to Pirelli 180/60 Stock Profile slicks.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-26-2016, 03:41 AM

What kind of pace do you carry at the track? Novice? Slow intermediate? Fast Int? Advance?

If you're still in the novice or the mid-slow pack of intermediate, street compound tires should do you well. I would suggest Pirelli supercorsa SP but any soft compound street tire that you can get a hold of will work. You can actually ride these tires all the way to slow advance. When you're still slow-mid int, checking hot tire pressures and tuning your suspension will probably help you out more since race/slicks have a certain operating temp you have to keep them in otherwise you're wasting them.

If you're in the mid-upper Int or Advance group, I would highly suggest DOT race tires. You'll definitely need warmers otherwise it'll take you 2 laps (at least) to get them to proper temp... but If you're fast enough to keep heat in them.... you're in for a treat!! The edge grip on them are amazing compared to street compounds. They are also more predictable when they start sliding vs street compound sometimes just letting go when you hit the limit. I personally use pirelli SC1/SC2 during the summer and sometimes will use SC0 on really cold trackdays.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page