Track tires - Page 2 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_D899 View Post
Let's talk about the Diablo Rosso Corsa's (DRC's) for a moment. Sportbiketrackgear.com has them on sale for $259 per SET (front and rear) which is a great deal so I bought a couple of sets to keep in my garage to get me through the year of street riding. This past weekend I burned through a set of SC2's in a single day at the track and that gets a bit expensive after a while. I know the DRC's use the SC2 compound on the edge of the tire so I'm wondering if they would be suitable to use on track. I mean, they're definitely fine for the occasional track-goer but I am a fast-intermediate rider (I run 1:28's at Jennings for context) and want to get your opinion / experiences if you think they'd be up to handle that pace.
If you're going through a set in one day (even at an abrasive track like Jennings), it may be worthwhile to have a suspension tuner check out what your bike is doing. If your suspension is working as it should, it may be time to take a look at how you're riding.

You should be able to run a 1:28 at Jennings on almost any street tire for many, many days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowega View Post
If you're going through a set in one day (even at an abrasive track like Jennings), it may be worthwhile to have a suspension tuner check out what your bike is doing. If your suspension is working as it should, it may be time to take a look at how you're riding.

You should be able to run a 1:28 at Jennings on almost any street tire for many, many days.
I don't disagree necessarily, a well-tuned suspension works wonders for tire life.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3yrey View Post
What kind of pace do you carry at the track? Novice? Slow intermediate? Fast Int? Advance?

If you're still in the novice or the mid-slow pack of intermediate, street compound tires should do you well. I would suggest Pirelli supercorsa SP but any soft compound street tire that you can get a hold of will work. You can actually ride these tires all the way to slow advance. When you're still slow-mid int, checking hot tire pressures and tuning your suspension will probably help you out more since race/slicks have a certain operating temp you have to keep them in otherwise you're wasting them.

If you're in the mid-upper Int or Advance group, I would highly suggest DOT race tires. You'll definitely need warmers otherwise it'll take you 2 laps (at least) to get them to proper temp... but If you're fast enough to keep heat in them.... you're in for a treat!! The edge grip on them are amazing compared to street compounds. They are also more predictable when they start sliding vs street compound sometimes just letting go when you hit the limit. I personally use pirelli SC1/SC2 during the summer and sometimes will use SC0 on really cold trackdays.

I'm running in "A" or advanced group, have K-tech cartridges in my forks and feel that my suspension is pretty dialed in considering the stock rear shock. I just picked up my first pair of warmers.

The reason I'm curious about the upgrade is that this season I started running the Supercorsa SPs and, while they are an improvement on the track over the Rosso Corsas, I would like to get more life out my tires. Of course the better edge grip you're describing sounds great too The bike is in the slow motion process of becoming a dedicated track bike (with hopes of dabbling in club racing).

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaForce View Post
I'm running in "A" or advanced group, have K-tech cartridges in my forks and feel that my suspension is pretty dialed in considering the stock rear shock. I just picked up my first pair of warmers.

The reason I'm curious about the upgrade is that this season I started running the Supercorsa SPs and, while they are an improvement on the track over the Rosso Corsas, I would like to get more life out my tires. Of course the better edge grip you're describing sounds great too The bike is in the slow motion process of becoming a dedicated track bike (with hopes of dabbling in club racing).

Thanks for the feedback.
Surprisingly the SCs has a good longevity. Once you've gotten used to them and get smoother with the throttle, they will last you just as long as street tires. And like I said earlier, they are so much more predictable. When the tire is near its end it slips but in a way thats very manageable. I was in the same position as you were last year and procrastinated about switching to race tires. I ended up high siding when the rear just let go all of a sudden with no warning. So far the SCs are more forgiving even when I get too greedy on the throttle coming out of turns. It's very confidence inspiring which in turn takes a lot off your lap time.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 AM

Garage
I only do one or two race days a year, and for that I prefer a tire I can finish of on the streets, rather than put it aside and have it sitting there for the next year to come. So this year I tried the "Conti Race Attack Comp. Endurance"! Emphasis lies on "endurance", which is the compound in this race tire family often used for long-distance races.
What can I say, great tire, actually I'm so enthusiastic about it, I'm on my second set already.
I tried the Metzeler Racetec RR once, and that would have been my tire of choice if it hadn't lasted just about 1.600 kms. Incredible grip, ultrashort warming up phase, but only 1.600 kms in street use is just too expensive for me.
The Contis on the other hand: exact same performance as the Racetec RR, but the longevity is excellent. Very good feedback from the front, and very high overall agility. I did about 1.700 km in the Dolomites with it (nearly in race mode all the time ) and another 1.300 back home on my home turf.
As the name indicates, it is basically a race tire with tread and it is primarily designed for track use. But it is street legal and so I use it for both.
Due to low tire pressure it has a very high self-damping, which makes bumpy surfaces more pleasurable to ride on. For road use I take 2.3/2.0 psi front/rear, and for track use Conti recommends 1.9/1.6 f/r.
Came across it, cause it was one of the few in 180/60 size.

Give it a try, you'll love it.

Greetings from Germany
Andy

Braking makes the rims dirty.

2004 Aprilia RSV RR / 2014 Ducati Panigale 899
post #16 of 16 Old 06-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWolf View Post
The Pirelli Supercorsa SPs have been pretty good to me. I'm gonna be running Pirelli Superbike Pro rear and a Superbike SC01 front. I'll let you know how that goes.
Holdup, I thought supercorsa SP is a street tire. Is it considered a slick?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page