LCD Electronic tinted visors anyone? - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-27-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
MarkDucati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 828
LCD Electronic tinted visors anyone?

What do you guys think?

MarkDucati is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Fireman1291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 261
Thats....AWESOME! I was wondering when this tech would trickle down into cars and bikes. The Maybach luxury car came out with this electro illuminecent glass tech years ago. Glad to see it in a shield!

FullTuckDUC
YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 899 Panigale (Red) - Current
2012 1100EVO (BLK) - Sold
2016 Harley Sportster 48 - Current
Fireman1291 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
sinjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Las Colinas, TX (Dallas)
Posts: 1,841
Garage
I nearly bought one of these for my AGV helmets since it would swap between my Corsa and Pista. I had two concerns, weight and battery life.

Why wear the lightest helmet commercially available at 1250 grams only to attach a battery operated visor? Also, with sensitive eyes, you don't want to get caught in the south during summer with a visor that suddenly goes clear when your wife unplugs the batteries to charge her iPad.

I would be interested to hear what sort of luck anyone is having with this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
sinjin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 09-27-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
MarkDucati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 828
The video said that the batteries charge in 2 hours, and the continuous run time is about 12 hours... when the batteries die, the tinted LCD doesn't go clear, but doesn't stay dark.

The visor isn't "clear" to begin with... it is a light smoke, intended for daytime use. So if the batteries die, the visor has an already inherent light smoke tint.

I don't ride at night, but when I have gotten caught with the sun going down, I was always 20-30 minutes away from home, and if it got too dark to see out of my tinted visor, I just raised the visor and did without, it wasn't that bad for a short ride.

Eh? Weight? Its pretty light weight to begin with... I bought my Carbon Fiber Pista GP helmet for style points anyways.
MarkDucati is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: baltimore, md
Posts: 477
Why not dispense with the batteries and just use a photochromatic shield? I use them for mountain biking, and am going to get one for my Shoei. They're not quite as dark, perhaps, but definitely lighter.
mcouper99 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 09-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
sinjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Las Colinas, TX (Dallas)
Posts: 1,841
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcouper99 View Post
Why not dispense with the batteries and just use a photochromatic shield? I use them for mountain biking, and am going to get one for my Shoei. They're not quite as dark, perhaps, but definitely lighter.
I know Bell makes one - I had one for my old helmet - and I know that Shoei does too. I am not aware that AGV have one.

I am constantly having to recharge my phone, company phone, Denon headphones, iPad, iPad mini, Porsche Clifford alarm remote, etc... I have a charging table that looks like a Lego Town power distribution plant.

I only ride during the day, so why change out my shield from darker tint, anyway? Also, I have scratches and a divot in my Corsa Iridium shield from a stray rock. I don't want those on a $300 shield. I will replace it at $65, but that is where I draw the line.

I just added the Arai 2016 IOM TT to my collection, so I have another set of shields to contend with now.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
sinjin is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2016, 03:44 AM
Senior Member
 
x3thelast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
I know Bell makes one - I had one for my old helmet - and I know that Shoei does too. I am not aware that AGV have one.

I am constantly having to recharge my phone, company phone, Denon headphones, iPad, iPad mini, Porsche Clifford alarm remote, etc... I have a charging table that looks like a Lego Town power distribution plant.

I only ride during the day, so why change out my shield from darker tint, anyway? Also, I have scratches and a divot in my Corsa Iridium shield from a stray rock. I don't want those on a $300 shield. I will replace it at $65, but that is where I draw the line.

I just added the Arai 2016 IOM TT to my collection, so I have another set of shields to contend with now.


Meh the AGV visor isn't that great. They're more "smoked" than tinted. You're still getting blinded by direct sunlight. It's like a tinted pinlock anyway. Also they're not "recommended" for night time use.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x3thelast is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-30-2016, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
sinjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Las Colinas, TX (Dallas)
Posts: 1,841
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3thelast View Post
Meh the AGV visor isn't that great. They're more "smoked" than tinted. You're still getting blinded by direct sunlight. It's like a tinted pinlock anyway. Also they're not "recommended" for night time use.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean the LCD or the tinted and iridium shields?

I actually have very sensitive eyes and find the dark smoke and iridium shield to be effective.

As I indicated that I don't ride at night, they serve my purpose.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
sinjin is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2016, 04:23 AM
Senior Member
 
x3thelast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
You mean the LCD or the tinted and iridium shields?



I actually have very sensitive eyes and find the dark smoke and iridium shield to be effective.



As I indicated that I don't ride at night, they serve my purpose.


I meant the LCD. Technically any visor that isn't fully clear is against the law to be used after sunset. Atleast here in the US.

I have the gold AGV visor for my corsa. I find AGV makes VERY dark visors compared to the other brand. I've had shoei and xlite.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x3thelast is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1199r tinted oversize windscreen RichFlair Ducati 899 Panigale Parts and Bikes 1 09-17-2016 03:46 AM
Installed the Zero Gravity tinted winscreen. [pics] RV8G30 899 Panigale Appearance and Modifications 14 07-25-2014 04:17 AM
Where can I find my Electronic Code? DRRJ 899 Panigale General Discussion 3 04-30-2014 02:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome