Vanson's Leathers? - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-16-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 373
Garage
Vanson's Leathers?

Hey guys, I believe I'm going to the track often enough to warrant owning a 1pc suit now.

A guy at the track told me about Vanson's Leathers. They just over an hour from where I live which seems convenient but I wanted some other opinions first.

Straights are for fast bikes, turns are for fast riders.
Aprilia Shiver 750: SOLD
Ducati Panigale 899: Track Weapon
Ducati Monster 1200: Daily Weapon
Panzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 09-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 349
I've Never heard of them. But Go in and have a look. If you like, then try a set.

Australia has a local mob caled Shark leathers
These are very popular here cause they are custom made, very good price compared to A*, Dainese and berik and get a good following form pro level down.
D-StyleNZL is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-16-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 373
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-StyleNZL View Post
I've Never heard of them. But Go in and have a look. If you like, then try a set.

Australia has a local mob caled Shark leathers
These are very popular here cause they are custom made, very good price compared to A*, Dainese and berik and get a good following form pro level down.
Yeah, I figure most countries have domestic suit makers to appeal to the locals. The perks are the custom fit for my build, professional level quality, and the ability to drive over and have my leathers repaired at my convenience. Theyre not a budget company with their road race line being from 1395 to 1850 they're right in the price range of very stylish and modern suits from other companies. They have "off the rack" suits but I guess I wont know their prices or fit until I check it out.



Vanson Racing Leather Suit Wash & Redye

Straights are for fast bikes, turns are for fast riders.
Aprilia Shiver 750: SOLD
Ducati Panigale 899: Track Weapon
Ducati Monster 1200: Daily Weapon

Last edited by Panzer; 09-16-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Panzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2016, 02:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-StyleNZL View Post
I've Never heard of them. But Go in and have a look. If you like, then try a set.

Australia has a local mob caled Shark leathers
These are very popular here cause they are custom made, very good price compared to A*, Dainese and berik and get a good following form pro level down.
Buy a custom fit Ricondi, my 2 cents.
Rowan is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-17-2016, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 550
I heard of Vanson through RideApart when Wes Siler was still writing for them. He rated Vanson quite highly if I recall correctly?
Rowan is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 143
Vanson is local to me. Their regular stuff (not race one-piece, I mean) are a bit old fashioned in style, I think, but the quality is really good. If you are close by, you should just pay a visit, its an interesting showroom, and it's cool that they make them on site.
J.B. is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 373
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Vanson is local to me. Their regular stuff (not race one-piece, I mean) are a bit old fashioned in style, I think, but the quality is really good. If you are close by, you should just pay a visit, its an interesting showroom, and it's cool that they make them on site.
I'll find to do it next week and take pictures.

Straights are for fast bikes, turns are for fast riders.
Aprilia Shiver 750: SOLD
Ducati Panigale 899: Track Weapon
Ducati Monster 1200: Daily Weapon
Panzer is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
tgodon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Neshanic Station, NJ
Posts: 124
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Hey guys, I believe I'm going to the track often enough to warrant owning a 1pc suit now.

A guy at the track told me about Vanson's Leathers. They just over an hour from where I live which seems convenient but I wanted some other opinions first.
Vanson is top quality. My brother has a 2 piece suit that is well over 20 years old, Vanson refurbished it once. He also hit a deer about 18 months ago while wearing a Vanson jacket, no road rash at all, jacket would have been usable if the EMT did not have to cut it off him. He bought the exact same as a replacement.

_______________________
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
2015 VW GTI SE - 2 door 6MT
Instagram: @899Rider
tgodon13 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
MarkDucati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 828
What are you wearing now? 2pc leathers? Surely youre not wearing textiles on a track, right?

I have a 2pc Dainese suit that is cowhide... I got it off ebay for $900 from a company in Germany, US price from Revzilla was $1400. If you can try a suit on and know your size, you might want to save some cash and buy off eBay.

Also, if you can find a suit made of Kangaroo leather, in a slide it is reported that Kangaroo leather is more durable than cowhide, some Dainese suits offer Kangaroo leather. Also, its been my experience that the Kangaroo leather suits often have Kevlar stitching. Why is that important? Over the life of a suit, sweat/salts can break down the regular stitching, whereas Kevlar stitching is less prone to breakdown, thus extending the life of your suit.

Just something else to consider is all.
MarkDucati is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-17-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 373
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDucati View Post
What are you wearing now? 2pc leathers? Surely youre not wearing textiles on a track, right?

I have a 2pc Dainese suit that is cowhide... I got it off ebay for $900 from a company in Germany, US price from Revzilla was $1400. If you can try a suit on and know your size, you might want to save some cash and buy off eBay.

Also, if you can find a suit made of Kangaroo leather, in a slide it is reported that Kangaroo leather is more durable than cowhide, some Dainese suits offer Kangaroo leather. Also, its been my experience that the Kangaroo leather suits often have Kevlar stitching. Why is that important? Over the life of a suit, sweat/salts can break down the regular stitching, whereas Kevlar stitching is less prone to breakdown, thus extending the life of your suit.

Just something else to consider is all.
I had a salesman help me, I told him I was racing in 2017. I got into a suit that was so baggy, I could do jumping jacks in it. It was a size 48 and I'm typically a size 44 (54 EU). The salesman brought me to the founder to get his opinion of the fit. He was in his office chair sitting down, looked at me, had me spin around, and said it looked great. I walked out and rode back home.

A shame, because there was nothing wrong with the quality of the leatherwork and I really prefer to support local business.

I'm in a Rev'it Akira 1pc race suit now which replaces my 2pc Dianese. : )

Straights are for fast bikes, turns are for fast riders.
Aprilia Shiver 750: SOLD
Ducati Panigale 899: Track Weapon
Ducati Monster 1200: Daily Weapon
Panzer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Filter, Oil, and leathers PGas32 Ducati 899 Panigale Parts and Bikes 3 10-25-2016 05:58 PM
Race Leathers and Boots (In or Out)? MarkDucati Riding Gear 5 06-24-2015 04:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome