Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

Ducati 899 Panigale Forum (https://www.899panigale.org/forum/)
-   Riding Gear (https://www.899panigale.org/forum/riding-gear/)
-   -   What backpacks do you guys use? (https://www.899panigale.org/forum/riding-gear/11001-what-backpacks-do-you-guys-use.html)

Ducati90 07-21-2014 01:52 PM

What backpacks do you guys use?

Searched the forum and didn't find anything related to backpacks. I am looking to buy a good riding backpack. Currently am using my regular school backpack, but it is a pain to use. I want something sleek. Just has to be big enough for my 15" laptop.

One that caught my eye was the Ogio No Drag Mach 3:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA...SltbM/$_57.JPG

alfredogtx 07-21-2014 02:12 PM

This one isn't bad at all. The hardshell offers some sort of protection from a fall, much more than a North Face would. That said, you have to be realistic with the sort of accidents out there...like being hit by a texter! or low siding....

The top mold is dipped in so it doesn't irritate the helmet's movement as others do...

They offer 3...

Don't waste your time on the mach 1
Mach 3 is best of both worlds
Mach 5 can expand....

your laptop will fit any of these...as long as its under 15-

wachuko 07-21-2014 02:16 PM

I went with this one: Givi XS303 - Xstream Backpack

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psc0f6ccfe.jpg

But found it too small for my needs. I wanted something weatherproof to carry my notebook. But there is really very little else that would fit in it. Straps were to wide, comfortable to wear, but just awkward to carry around in the office or travel to make it my only backpack.

Forgot to add: I have a Lenovo Carbon X1 notebook. Fits without issues, just not much more space for anything else, lacks pockets inside to store cables, a notepad, etc. I was spoiled with my other backpack (Targus), just not a great riding backpack (the Targus).

MustangWolf 07-21-2014 02:18 PM

Kriega R25. Their backpacks are designed to not place any strain on the shoulders—thus not affecting your steering input. I use the R25 for commuting (40 miles each way) and for long trips in leathers + back protector. No issues in terms of comfort or distractions.

I place my laptop in there as well as office clothes/shoes, tools, and food. I even do small grocery trips with it.

Its not "pretty" like the Ogio above—but I'm sure its a **** of a lot more comfortable.

XCLR8TN 07-21-2014 02:21 PM

I've been using a Kreiga R20 ever since I used my ex b/f 's. Worth the money, and is expandable (you can add these on top: http://www.kriega.us/us5-motorcycle-...pack-tailpack/). Most comfortable backpack I have ever used, and I have stuffed it FULL of stuff for TWO people! Has padding on shoulder harnesses and doesn't move around while riding.

Kriega R20 motorcycle backpack

wachuko 07-21-2014 02:35 PM

That Ogio Mach 3 or the 5 looks sweet! And seems to be able to work for what I was looking for. Hummmm....

Thank you for asking the question. Looks like I will also be getting one of those. Wish I can see it locally before pulling the trigger.

alfredogtx 07-21-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 136161)
That Ogio Mach 3 or the 5 looks sweet! And seems to be able to work for what I was looking for. Hummmm....

Thank you for asking the question. Looks like I will also be getting one of those. Wish I can see it locally before pulling the trigger.

Just call ahead to any local bike shops that offers apparel as well. If they have the right distributor, they may just have one of the three.

ucarla 07-21-2014 02:40 PM

I have the exact same one and very happy with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducati90 (Post 136113)
Searched the forum and didn't find anything related to backpacks. I am looking to buy a good riding backpack. Currently am using my regular school backpack, but it is a pain to use. I want something sleek. Just has to be big enough for my 15" laptop.

One that caught my eye was the Ogio No Drag Mach 3:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA...SltbM/$_57.JPG

Ducati90 07-21-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucarla (Post 136177)
I have the exact same one and very happy with it.

How is it holding up? I have read people complain about the single stitching not holding up in the interior.

wachuko 07-21-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredogtx (Post 136169)
Just call ahead to any local bike shops that offers apparel as well. If they have the right distributor, they may just have one of the three.

Spot on... local place has it. Buying it after I get out of the office today. Thanks!

alfredogtx 07-21-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 136209)
Spot on... local place has it. Buying it after I get out of the office today. Thanks!

Sweet! That's cool.

np2005sti 07-21-2014 03:12 PM

Another vote for Kreiga R25 here. The quadlock strap system really unloads your shoulders and is far better than a regular backpack as far as comfort on the bike. I did 187 miles on Saturday (120 miles in the mountains) with the Kriega on without any soreness.

My best friend went for the Ogio Mach 5 (because it does look cool) and he said his shoulders were not happy after a longer ride. For me, it came down to aesthetics vs. function. The Kriega looks more purposeful and homely, but I was not convinced the aesthetics of the Ogio were worth the trade off.

I will note, the Ogio is more compartmentalized, so it's a good pack for commuting to work or school since you can easily organize it. The Kriega is one big compartment, so organization is less friendly, but you sure can stuff a lot into it when needed.

alfredogtx 07-21-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by np2005sti (Post 136225)
Another vote for Kreiga R25 here. The quadlok strap system really unloads your shoulders and is far better than a regular backpack as far as comfort on the bike. I did 187 miles on Saturday (120 miles in the mountains) with the Kriega on without any soreness.

My best friend went for the Ogio Mach 5 (because it does look cool) and he said his shoulders were not happy after a longer ride. For me, it came down to aesthetics vs. function. The Kriega looks more purposeful and homely, but I was not convinced the aesthetics of the Ogio were worth the trade off.

I will note, the Ogio is more compartmentalized, so it's a good pack for commuting to work or school since you can easily organize it. The Kriega is one big compartment, so organization is less friendly, but you sure can stuff a lot into it when needed.

Yes, i agree. Though, never felt bad with the shoulders myself...but i came from using something heinous. IMO the Kreiga has always struck me as being best suitable for a touring ride. Even, w/ a GS/Multistrada type of trip. The quadlock is innovative. Both great packs!

Ducati90 07-21-2014 03:28 PM

Well it looks like the Kriega definitely has the more positive reviews and endorsements on here. I am still torn between the Kriega and Ogio though. With all the cash I have been dishing out on gear these past couple of days, $200 for backpack seems a bit steep lol

np2005sti 07-21-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducati90 (Post 136249)
Well it looks like the Kriega definitely has the more positive reviews and endorsements on here. I am still torn between the Kriega and Ogio though. With all the cash I have been dishing out on gear these past couple of days, $200 for backpack seems a bit steep lol

If you can't find both in a local store, you could always order one (or both) from Revzilla and then return whichever you don't like as much. Not ideal, but that way you won't wonder "what if..."

Like Alfredo said though, both good choices.

alfredogtx 07-21-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by np2005sti (Post 136257)
If you can't find both in a local store, you could always order one (or both) from Revzilla and then return whichever you don't like as much. Not ideal, but that way you won't wonder "what if..."

Like Alfredo said though, both good choices.

Not a bad idea at all...One never knows until they try it. Just don't ride too much with them before you return either-or, since they may deny the return as cause of it being "used."

zilverz 07-21-2014 03:41 PM

I have Kriega R20 backpack I use in occasional. It's amazing how it puts the weight toward your chest instead of on your shoulders as you add weight to the pack. Build quality is great also.

np2005sti 07-21-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredogtx (Post 136265)
Not a bad idea at all...Just don't ride too much with them before you return either-or, since they may deny the return as cause of it being "used."

Yeah, agreed, I meant wear it around the house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilverz (Post 136273)
I have Kriega R20 backpack I use in occasional. It's amazing how it puts the weight toward your chest instead of on your shoulders as you add weight to the pack. Build quality is great also.

Agreed -- I bought a Kriega US-20 tailbag before my backpack, and thought the construction was fantastic. Gave me faith that the backpack would be the same quality -- and it is.

np2005sti 07-21-2014 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added bonus: the quadlock gives decapitated bees a place to rest when you're out riding.

alfredogtx 07-21-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by np2005sti (Post 136289)
Added bonus: the quadlock gives decapitated bees a place to rest when you're out riding.

No worries little bee... I too, have started to become a fan of the R25. I may just have to try one as I am out of a pack right now...hmmm :rolleyes:

ucarla 07-21-2014 03:59 PM

It has been more than 8 months since I purchased it. Nothing wrong so far. I don't use it everyday though. I took pretty long trips (Los angeles to San Francisco, Los Angeles to Joshua Tree etc..) and it held up really well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducati90 (Post 136201)
How is it holding up? I have read people complain about the single stitching not holding up in the interior.

Rowan 07-21-2014 04:33 PM

Kriega R30. Waterproof. It's good.

mdusharm 07-21-2014 04:45 PM

I have the Ogio Mach 5. I use it everyday for work, riding or not. The only downside is the holder for the extra faceshield was in the way, I went and cut it out and no problems since.

mattxr 07-21-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 136321)
Kriega R30. Waterproof. It's good.

+1 anything by Kriega.

Fantastic packs, really comfortable to carry as it is all in the chest and not shoulders, so the pack doesn't move around.

Germcati 07-21-2014 05:50 PM

Another vote for the Kriega R20's.

Ducati90 07-21-2014 07:25 PM

I'm glad we have gotten such a good response from this thread. Definitely has given me a lot to consider for my purchase!

warlord 07-21-2014 08:47 PM

Using my trusty Wenger (SwissGear) Pegasus. holds a 17" gaming laptop, my shoes, a change of clothes, lunch, along with my stethoscope and misc. medical gear & supplies.

I like it because it was affordable, stands up when you set it down, and has held up for a solid 5 years of nearly daily use and still looks brand new. When it gets dirty I just throw it in the washer and with some Nikwax to keep it waterproof. I keep thinking about buying a fancy purpose built "motorcycle backpack" but I don't really have the need right now as long as this bag keeps holding up...

krissrock 07-21-2014 10:07 PM

I can't comment on the comfort, (because I still haven't ridden my pani yet) but I do have the Mach 3.
the construction looks good, I don't see any reason why the stitching would come apart. I don't think I would use the shoe holders, but its wide enough to throw a face shield across the bottom safely. I would be using mine for commuting to work so I would have no more than second face shield, lunch and maybe gym clothes.

I'm 5'8" 250 lbs (I lift) and my only gripe was that the waist strap snaps at the side instead of the middle. This is smart for those not wanting to scratch their tanks with the buckle, but horrible for big guys like me who can't reach that far around themselves, especially with a jacket on. Luckily, the two straps (chest/waist) are removable.

Nzjono 07-21-2014 10:19 PM

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6d2a1aea.jpg

I use the Ogio Mach 5, pricey but it looks looks awesome and fits very well. The hardshell is really useful and I love the quick release shoulder straps. Makes it so much easier to get on and off when wearing a jacket and helmet.

lax 07-23-2014 01:22 PM

One more vote for the Kriega R25. Or anything by Kriega, really.

Riding with this pack changed my perspective on gear dramatically. It's the most comfortable bag I've ever come across, even after a couple hundred miles.

It also feels like an extra layer of protection. When I ride without it, I get a weird feeling like I've forgotten to put my seatbelt on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

MustangWolf 07-23-2014 03:02 PM

DOn't forget the optional "back protector" you can throw into the backpacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lax (Post 137849)
One more vote for the Kriega R25. Or anything by Kriega, really.

Riding with this pack changed my perspective on gear dramatically. It's the most comfortable bag I've ever come across, even after a couple hundred miles.

It also feels like an extra layer of protection. When I ride without it, I get a weird feeling like I've forgotten to put my seatbelt on.

wachuko 07-23-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzjono (Post 136513)
I use the Ogio Mach 5, pricey but it looks looks awesome and fits very well. The hardshell is really useful and I love the quick release shoulder straps. Makes it so much easier to get on and off when wearing a jacket and helmet.

I pick up mine on Saturday. Great reviews. I need to use it as my daily backpack so this one seems to work best for that.

Apologies to the OP for the hi-jack...

MustangWolf 07-23-2014 03:38 PM

You do have a very good point there. I tried to use my Kriega R-25 off bike and since its designed to sit a lot lower on your back to take the weight off your shoulders it would be slightly uncomfortable to use daily off bike. Definitely worth trying it out nonetheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 137953)
I pick up mine on Saturday. Great reviews. I need to use it as my daily backpack so this one seems to work best for that.

Apologies to the OP for the hi-jack...

FileTitan 07-23-2014 06:10 PM

this is by far my favorite backpack.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D1SMES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I pack my work clothes, shoes, lunch etc..

wachuko 07-26-2014 10:31 PM

Got my Ogio today. This thing is perfect for what I want!! It can accommodate all the stuff I want/need in it... now I can retire my old Targus and also find a new home for the GIVI.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psy4m3b07n.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psmqyhj9q0.jpg

Winter 07-27-2014 06:14 PM

I have the Mach 5, and it is a great bag. Ability to expand is excellent, and some of the extra perks it offers over the 3 and 1 made it the one for me...

alfredogtx 07-27-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 140193)
Got my Ogio today. This thing is perfect for what I want!! It can accommodate all the stuff I want/need in it... now I can retire my old Targus and also find a new home for the GIVI.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psy4m3b07n.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psmqyhj9q0.jpg

Glad you were able to get it! It looks sweet and I am sure you'll like the feel

ApokC 05-15-2016 01:14 AM

Bringing up old sh*t ;)

Has anyone tried the Ducati Downtown Backpack?

Ducati Downtown Backpack | eBay

I like the look and color scheme. I don't need a lot of room, just a backpack to hold a few things.

Also, can someone post a pic of them wearing the Ogio. I wanna see what it looks like on. Thanks!

AmalfiCoast 899 05-15-2016 10:56 AM

I'm still using my Dainese Backpack R after maybe three years? They don't even make them anymore its so old. Its still in perfect condition after a lot of use and is very well designed so I haven't needed a new one yet. It has a really useful helmet holder built into the back of it that I use when I go to races. You can still find old stock new ones online I think.
Ogio seems to have been bought/licensed by Dainese now

D-MACH BACKPACK - Dainese

cyphon68 05-16-2016 02:41 PM

i use a Kriega R30 when I take a trip and its awesome. Its big, but generally if i'm taking this bag its because i'm hauling around a 17" laptop, shoes, chargers, and a cover. It will accomodate a metric pantload of gear and can feel small or big depending on how much you stuff in it. I was able to load it up with my laptop, shoes, chargers, cover, clothes for a weekend, and a DSLR when i went to MotoGP last summer. The pack is soft, so it won't really protect my laptop from snapping if i fall and land back first, but the backpack is very comfortable even when fully loaded. The main pouch is waterproof and after seeing it in action, i'd believe i could ride through a monsoon and the contents inside would still be perfectly dry. The back protector add-on really does feel very protective and reassures me more than even the back protector in my Rev'it jacket. As someone else said, it feels like i forgot to put on a seatbelt when i'm not wearing it.

If you're in for a very functional soft bag, i think it'd be very hard to beat a Kriega R30 or R25