My next Litre Bike - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
View Poll Results: Which bike should I burden myself with?
Aprilia RSv4 13 41.94%
BMW S1000RR 8 25.81%
2015+ Yamaha R1 5 16.13%
You're complete dolt to get something other than the 899 6 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My next Litre Bike

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting another bike for trackdays and canyon riding to offset the mileage I've been gaining on the 899. I've been looking at the RSV4 and S1000RR longingly in a way normally associated with leering old men in a strip club. Now that the new R1 is out, that's entered my shortlist as well.

So, for my own entertainment (and possible prodding) I'm conducting my own little poll here to help me decide on the next bike (along with some testing of course). You can vote for more than 1 bike.

I'm also interested in hearing from owners of these bikes what their experience has been on the track, on backroads, and with maintenance rituals and costs.
watermantra and sinjin like this.

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-02-2016, 08:06 PM

I did the same thing mate. Thought about selling the dirt bike and buying another big bike to offset the mileage on the Duke. Was too attached to the dirt bike so rather than let her go I bought a SMALLER bike. Yes you read it right. Got myself a Yamaha MT03 (the old school 660 cc single version) and love it. Less horsepower helps you develop better habits maintaining corner speed and if you ask me thats exactly what us 899 riders need.

Just a though anyway. My money would be on the RSVR....
bitus899 likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 PM

Garage
Well, I am going to suggest that you seriously consider the RR...
watermantra likes this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 02-02-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqweegel View Post
I did the same thing mate. Thought about selling the dirt bike and buying another big bike to offset the mileage on the Duke. Was too attached to the dirt bike so rather than let her go I bought a SMALLER bike. Yes you read it right. Got myself a Yamaha MT03 (the old school 660 cc single version) and love it. Less horsepower helps you develop better habits maintaining corner speed and if you ask me thats exactly what us 899 riders need.

Just a though anyway. My money would be on the RSVR....
Funny, me and my track buddies we seriously considering cutting money together to share a 250cc or 300cc for track days to work on techniques. That may still happen apart from the liter bike.

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)
post #5 of 25 Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
Well, I am going to suggest that you seriously consider the RR...
You and the Baron (von Grumble) have reinforced my love for the S1kR. Do you take her to the track as well? I know that I'm gonna have to join the S1kR forum to get some insight.

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)

2016 S1000RR (Black)
post #6 of 25 Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 PM

The RF is miles better than the '15 s1krr for fast pace riding. The s1krr is fast and solid but it flicks slower and feels really porky compare to the RF. Base on 44teeth video, the r1 seems to be the better track bike of the 3.

I would pick up an r1 but i can barely reach the ground on the 33.7 seat height RF let alone a 34.7 seat height r1lm.

The RF is like a better version of the 899, brakes, handling, power, flick ability - in my opinion the perfect upgrade for a 899 user. The bmw is slower, feels really solid but as a 899 rider it is vastly different. I consider the bmw a porker. The bmw doesn't slice as well through the track. Probably at the hands or a really competent user this would be different.

Everyone on the s1k forum are very bias and bmw diehards. We have a few hp4 users transitioning to the RF at the aprilia forum and they seem to consider the RF a nice change. The suspension, chassis, engine placement, power delivery makes the RF really good. The controls and dash is a bit outdated but the bike is amazing. For both street and track the bmw would be a better pick since everything else on the bike is more suitable and more comfortable as a whole.

The s1k is my street bike, the rf and 899 is track only now.

Last edited by supersport; 02-02-2016 at 09:59 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 AM

the RR is an amazing bike for both the track and daily use, it's very canfi and amazing both on the roads and track. after all the reach i have done, the 899 is great for the same but the bmw has more confert options and less heat and more power.

but to be honest nothing beats the looks of a Ducati, it just moves you just by looking at it .

enjoy
post #8 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 06:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWolf View Post
You and the Baron (von Grumble) have reinforced my love for the S1kR. Do you take her to the track as well? I know that I'm gonna have to join the S1kR forum to get some insight.
I had not planned on it at first, however if I can get it to COTA later this year, I will be thrilled. Was initially looking at a smaller single bike trailer, but with the RR, I now want to be able to take both bikes if I am going out of town for a two day track session.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
post #9 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 06:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport View Post
The RF is miles better than the '15 s1krr for fast pace riding. The s1krr is fast and solid but it flicks slower and feels really porky compare to the RF. Base on 44teeth video, the r1 seems to be the better track bike of the 3.

I would pick up an r1 but i can barely reach the ground on the 33.7 seat height RF let alone a 34.7 seat height r1lm.

The RF is like a better version of the 899, brakes, handling, power, flick ability - in my opinion the perfect upgrade for a 899 user. The bmw is slower, feels really solid but as a 899 rider it is vastly different. I consider the bmw a porker. The bmw doesn't slice as well through the track. Probably at the hands or a really competent user this would be different.

Everyone on the s1k forum are very bias and bmw diehards. We have a few hp4 users transitioning to the RF at the aprilia forum and they seem to consider the RF a nice change. The suspension, chassis, engine placement, power delivery makes the RF really good. The controls and dash is a bit outdated but the bike is amazing. For both street and track the bmw would be a better pick since everything else on the bike is more suitable and more comfortable as a whole.

The s1k is my street bike, the rf and 899 is track only now.
Do you have the HP wheels or upgraded the cast to forged? I chose the wheel option which is a killer deal for the cost and I can't tell much of a difference between them and the 899 with the Rotobox wheels.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
post #10 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 AM

I'm of the mindset that smaller bikes make better track bikes - more time at full throttle, lighter and less physical so you can do more consecutive days at the track, teaches you about corner speed, and easier on tires. So I would add Triumph 675R into the mix and possibly hold out for the next generation R6.

IF you MUST have 1,000cc motorcycle for track/canyons then I don't know how you buy anything other than an Aprilia RSV4.

Just my opinion so leave me alone if you disagree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page