Got my dream bike! - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got my dream bike!

Hey everyone,

I just picked up my 899 2 weekends ago. Bought it used for a good out the price door. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride it much since it's been raining. And it's been many years since I rode a bike. I'm rusty, so I'm building up my skill set before I go driving in the crazy commute of the SF Bay Area.

I got the bike with 7,400mi. About to take it in for the 7500mi service.

Would love to get some input from other members here. Not looking to go nuts with any performance parts, again I'm beginning after many years.

I have recently been looking into protecting the bike. Also would love recommendations to sites you guys use to get aftermarket parts.

Lastly, from my line of work, I have a lot of tension in my hands. I've noticed when I'm cruising around on the streets, the constant holding of the clutch feels painful on my hand. 2 people have recommended I get an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder. I've been recommended the OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder & EVR Clutch Slave Cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati 899.png
Views:	54
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	39419  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Congrats. 7500mile service is just oil change and ECU flash, fluid change, stuff like that, so it should be a doodle. 15,000 mile service with valve clearance check/adjustment is stupid expensive though. I have Oberon slave cylinder on mine, and I like it a whole lot more than a stock one. Change out the foot pegs if it hasn't gotten the grippier ones already. The OEM is just way too slippery for anything. Be safe, it's a lot of fun and a lot of bike!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Congrats. 7500mile service is just oil change and ECU flash, fluid change, stuff like that, so it should be a doodle. 15,000 mile service with valve clearance check/adjustment is stupid expensive though. I have Oberon slave cylinder on mine, and I like it a whole lot more than a stock one. Change out the foot pegs if it hasn't gotten the grippier ones already. The OEM is just way too slippery for anything. Be safe, it's a lot of fun and a lot of bike!

Thanks so much JB! I got lucky. I was on a forum for the new Toyota Supra and met a member that used to live near me. He recommended a bike shop in the area and they told me word for word what you mentioned--oil change, fluids, etc. And quoted me around $180. Versus a Ducati licensed shop that was charging me $1k and giving me the run-a-round of things they more than likely weren't going to do. I'm hoping to go there soon, but weather has been shitty here.

I'm thinking of purchasing the clutch slave cylinder prior to going to the shop. The mechanic said it's an easy installation that would take him 15min. and wasn't going to charge me.

I have been looking into other posts about the pegs. To be honest, I haven't felt it being slippery. But! I've only had the bike for 2 weeks and driven it maybe a total of 100mi (80 from picking it up at dealer and bringing it home).

Silly question for the experts, but I've been thinking of getting 1. Bluetooth for the helmet and 2. a phone holder. Any good leads of brands?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2019, 10:32 PM

+1 on foot pegs. Stock ones are not very good. LSL makes decent ones for a good price. Other than that... perhaps look into some tech spec snake skin tank pads, and if you ride at dusk/dawn/night... new headlights. Lasfit and Phillips make good led bulbs that fit without modifications. Search the forum for posts on the headlights. Last but not least, get a rear stand. Makes a huge difference when cleaning and living the chain.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg24 View Post
+1 on foot pegs. Stock ones are not very good. LSL makes decent ones for a good price. Other than that... perhaps look into some tech spec snake skin tank pads, and if you ride at dusk/dawn/night... new headlights. Lasfit and Phillips make good led bulbs that fit without modifications. Search the forum for posts on the headlights. Last but not least, get a rear stand. Makes a huge difference when cleaning and living the chain.

Thank you for this. I'm trying to be more active on this forum. I have seen posts from many months ago and thought that members weren't so active.

There's so much of what you have advised that I would have liked to have done, but never had the time. I commute about 80mi/day to work and back. And that little time I have left in the evening I spend with my wife and kid. However, my work has given me 2 days to work from home now. I've been researching on the stands and trying to see if I could save some money by buying it used on Craigslist. I also need to start researching on doing the easy maintenance stuff. To be honest, I'm not 100% yet on how to wash the bike! But I'll definitely start making strides on learning more about this machine.

In regards to the pegs, I know a lot of riders say the OEM ones aren't so good. But I actually don't mind them. Not sure if it's my Alpinestars boots that keep my feet pretty secure. But the pegs are definitely not aftermarket. And for the lights, I do like the LED's, but I don't mind spending a little to convert to HID's. I'm sure I'll find it in the forums, but do you have any advice on good HID aftermarket companies?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page