bought 2015 899 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rybo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

bought 2015 899

Hello everyone. I am a long time ducati racer. currently race and track a 999 w/reworked engine, full suspension and all the norm stuff. Also race a tricked ktm 390. Just got a 2015 899 that has 970 miles on it, dirt cheep couldnt pass it up. I was hoping to take advantage of the traction control and see if i can cut times down.

Any advice for setting it up for racing? I saw an article on line from a british race group that highly recommended adding the MWR intakes and filter, blip box, connecting rods, aftermarket footpegs.

I am doing a remap of the ecu, MWR filter and air ducts, woodcraft rear sets, slip ons, slicks, fairing, redo suspension, sliders and engine protection,

Any racers out there with other suggestions?

Thanks Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-17-2018, 04:29 PM

While I'm just considering racing the 899 next year, I am setting it up for all track use. I was looking into getting the MWR Superbike air scoops—where have you sourced yours from?
post #3 of 6 Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Garage
seriously consider swapping the wheels. stock cast rims weigh 33 lbs. switching to Rotobox dropped 20 lbs of unsprung weight.

additionally, the 899 doesn't come stock with a slipper clutch.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools

Last edited by sinjin; 12-18-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2018, 06:55 PM

Garage
Hey there:

I got one of the first 2014 899's in the USA and have been racing it since day one. I, like you, am a long time Ducati racer with my last Ducati racebike being a 1997 748 that was built to the max (rods, pistons, light crank, light wheels, fancy master cylinders etc). In between I did a short stint on a 2004 Aprilia Factory RSVR. I've also raced everything from SVs to 125 two strokes to the R6.

I can say, without question, that the 899 is the best motorcycle I've ever owned. In 5 seasons of racing I've had to adjust one exhaust valve (checked every year) and replace one wheel speed sensor (because I botched one up during a wheel swap). Other than that the other repairs have been "self induced".

My build was intended to remain eligible for super sport / super stock classes, so I've been using the stock wheels, brake rotors, master cylinders etc. The engine is completely stock, and I really like it that way.

The front suspension (BPF Showa) was initially tuned by my friend Dave at STM Suspension | Motorcycle Suspension Tuning in Northern Colorado. Specializing in WP Suspension. and later we added cartridges from GP suspension. This was a big improvement and is worth doing.

The rear suspension is a TTX unit off of an 1199s that we removed the electronic guts from and replaced with regular clickers. Again, a significant improvement.

I used the air ducts that came with the bodywork I added - (Armour Bodies) and controls from Woodcraft. I'm very happy with all of those choices.

It has a Termignoni full system on it (because I got a deal on it) but in further research the head tubes on the 899 are adequate to the task and the slip on system makes exactly the same HP and torque, so you can save yourself some money there.

I did an auto blip - wicked cool and I think it completely eliminates the need for a slipper clutch. I've been racing mine this whole time without a slipper and I don't miss it at all. It's also considerably easier on clutch plates than any bike I've ever had with a slipper clutch.

I deleted the ABS system, running lines directly from the masters to the calipers

The only other "big" mod I've made was to replace the lower radiator with the Febur oil cooler set up. I race in Utah and Colorado where we have both high ambient temperatures and high altitude. Combine this with the belly pan arrangement reducing the airflow through the bike and mine was consistently running very hot. I made this change for longevity and reliability. Now on the hottest days the water temp will sometime exceed 200F on the cool down lap, where before it would push 250F. It's an expensive, but worthwhile modification.

Following this season I decided to give up on remaining super stock legal and bought a set of BST wheels for the bike. Sinjin isn't kidding, the stock wheels on the 899 are, literally, the heaviest I've ever felt come with a Sportbike. Just pushing the bike around with the light wheels on it is a revelation. I'm sure I'll run over the inside curb when I turn in the first time on this thing now - the wheels are 1/2 the weight of the stock ones. I'll report more once I've ridden it (probably April).

It's a fansastic bike, again the best I've ever owned. It doesn't have the same "feel" when leaned over as the trellis frame Ducatis (or even my Aprilia if I'm honest), but it more than makes up for that with the rest of the rider experience.

It's a blast to ride and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine!

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions you think I can answer.

Scott
b0bby j0hnny likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-20-2018, 02:31 PM

very interesting to read.Any issues with the water pump in all those years of racing? Also as far as heavy parts on the bike,the stock exhaust weighs a ton.Do you know how much or how much lighter a Termi slip on is compared to the stock?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-21-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus7 View Post
very interesting to read.Any issues with the water pump in all those years of racing? Also as far as heavy parts on the bike,the stock exhaust weighs a ton.Do you know how much or how much lighter a Termi slip on is compared to the stock?
Hey Lotus -

No issues with the water pump at all.

I always knew that the stock exhaust would be replaced, so I didn't weigh it, in fact the bike was only started once with it on. The end cans are the heavy part because in the stock system they also contain the catalysts, which are heavy by nature. The Termi end cans aren't super light, but WAY lighter than the stock system, I'd guess 8-10 lbs per end can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page