New Member with a fork spring problem - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Angry New Member with a fork spring problem

Greetings everyone. My name is Matt and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have a 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale. I love the bike and have added a few goodies to it. I had the following installed:

Slipper clutch
BST Carbon Fiber wheels
ASV Brake and Clutch levers
Footpegs

I track the bike a lot. My last trip to Laguna Seca I got the suspension tuned but have been bottoming out on the front springs in heavy braking zones. It was determined that I am outperforming the Showa springs. I have been looking for competition grade replacement front fork springs that can perform the way I need. I have also purchased a used 1199 Rear shock and linkage to have it installed on my 899.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Laguna Track Day
https://youtu.be/_YvX4mMmLlI
RossDucati likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski590 View Post
Greetings everyone. My name is Matt and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have a 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale. I love the bike and have added a few goodies to it. I had the following installed:

Slipper clutch
BST Carbon Fiber wheels
ASV Brake and Clutch levers
Footpegs

I track the bike a lot. My last trip to Laguna Seca I got the suspension tuned but have been bottoming out on the front springs in heavy braking zones. It was determined that I am outperforming the Showa springs. I have been looking for competition grade replacement front fork springs that can perform the way I need. I have also purchased a used 1199 Rear shock and linkage to have it installed on my 899.

Laguna Track Day
https://youtu.be/_YvX4mMmLlI
Welcome. I'd love to see pictures of your bike with the BSTs.

Nice track day video too. It's nice to see the 899 gain ground in the corners.

I'm keen to see what the track experts say about upgrading the fork springs. I'm sure I've read reviews of people with the Ohlins NIX30 kit (with the correct spring for their weight) also being unhappy with the forks bottoming out when pushed hard on track.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyruz View Post
Welcome. I'd love to see pictures of your bike with the BSTs.

Nice track day video too. It's nice to see the 899 gain ground in the corners.

I'm keen to see what the track experts say about upgrading the fork springs. I'm sure I've read reviews of people with the Ohlins NIX30 kit (with the correct spring for their weight) also being unhappy with the forks bottoming out when pushed hard on track.
Thanks...attached requested photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BSTs.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	20793   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 899 w BSTs.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	20801  
vyruz and Mariner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM

Garage
for sure - fork springs were the first changes I made to my bike.

The springs in the front of the 899 are really light. We measured the ones that came out of my forks and they were like .85's. I'm 180 lbs and a reasonably quick club racer and I tend to like fork springs in the .975 - 1.0 range.

I ran the BPF (stock) cartridges all last year and I can say for sure that they are good - they might not be Ohlins cartridge kit good, but they are good.

Get the right spring and some good oil in those forks and you'll be loving life. It drastically increases confidence on braking.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 AM

I have a set of brand new Ohlins FGRT sprung in 1.0 $2,250 shipped

that would do it
MustangWolf likes this.

The fastest way between two points is on two wheels
post #6 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 04:12 PM

Garage
Quote:

I think I have at Thunderhill a few weeks ago and recently on a canyon ride. Did it feel like the front was chattering when braking hard?

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)
post #7 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWolf View Post
I think I have at Thunderhill a few weeks ago and recently on a canyon ride. Did it feel like the front was chattering when braking hard?
That sounds like the problem. I had it at Thunderhill too. Going into turn one my general braking marker is at the start finish line. With a good drive I can get around 160mph and then during braking there is a huge vibration, chatter and shaking. The same thing happens going into 12 and into 14.

I worked with Dave Moss and he was the one who suggested I get new fork springs because I was bottoming out.

If you do the twist tie on the fork thing or look at where the dirt line is you can see if you are hitting the mechanical limit for the fork springs. Hope this helps.
MustangWolf likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouse34 View Post
I have a set of brand new Ohlins FGRT sprung in 1.0 $2,250 shipped

that would do it
Thanks. I am trying to go the low cost route and just change out the fork springs. I also found an 1199 rear shock and linkage that will fit on the 899 for around $500. Hopefully between the springs and the 1199 shock and linkage I can solve the problem before going for the new Ohlins.

Knocking on wood!
post #9 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybo View Post
for sure - fork springs were the first changes I made to my bike.

The springs in the front of the 899 are really light. We measured the ones that came out of my forks and they were like .85's. I'm 180 lbs and a reasonably quick club racer and I tend to like fork springs in the .975 - 1.0 range.

I ran the BPF (stock) cartridges all last year and I can say for sure that they are good - they might not be Ohlins cartridge kit good, but they are good.

Get the right spring and some good oil in those forks and you'll be loving life. It drastically increases confidence on braking.
So you just changed the cartridges? Left the springs the same?
post #10 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
That sounds like the problem. I had it at Thunderhill too. Going into turn one my general braking marker is at the start finish line. With a good drive I can get around 160mph and then during braking there is a huge vibration, chatter and shaking. The same thing happens going into 12 and into 14.

I worked with Dave Moss and he was the one who suggested I get new fork springs because I was bottoming out.

If you do the twist tie on the fork thing or look at where the dirt line is you can see if you are hitting the mechanical limit for the fork springs. Hope this helps.
That helps a bunch! Looking around the web I found it to be fork springs and/or adding fork oil or crummy brake pads in some cases. That's interesting since I really don't weight a lot (135 without gear). But then again, my ABS is turned to 1 (least amount).

I wonder if adding compression damping would help for now for me? Might have to try it out.

I guess I'll have to hold off on the BST purchase for now.

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page