LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Garage
cost

it cost me around 250$ here in Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM

As others already mentioned, when you wrap the exhaust you force the heat to dissipate in an area of the exhaust that was not designed for that heat. Basically you can damage your exhaust with wraps. I would go with a good ceramic coating and it should help.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM

I don't quite understand. Wrapping causes heat to go somewhere else and ceramic coating doesn't cause the same reaction? Aren't you blocking the heat with the coating too and leaving the heat to go somewhere else?

Anyways, I experience the hot effect on my butt too on a ride this past weekend. It was 70 degree constant riding backroads. I could only imagine in traffic would be bbq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM

yeah, I don't get it either. a wrap and ceramic coating are supposed to do the same thing. Keep the heat in.

The only detriment I can see to the wrap is the corrosion as many have said. But I would imagine it would be the better solution as you can layer it up as you please.

Having a ceramic coated exhaust on my car now, I can truly say that it does keep the metal from getting hot...but my only experience would be at the exhaust tips so I can't say how it would be with a section as close to the head as the Duc pipes would be.

the only detriment (probably insignificant) to the ceramic coating, besides the cost, is the fact that it is also placed on the inside of the pipes as well... The layer should be thing enough to no reduce the pipe volume though.

But I was really considering both of these options as I think the Duc looks better with black pipes showing.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-03-2014, 02:40 PM

everything I see points to ceramic coatings as the best choice... here's a sample

Ceramic Coating vs. Exhaust Wraps: Which Improves Horsepower the Best

Ceramic Coating vs Heat Wrap Which is Better?
post #16 of 22 Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 AM

How about a comfort seat?
post #17 of 22 Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Garage
I'm pretty sure that the entire point of exhaust wrap is to maintain exhaust gas temperatures and exhaust gas velocities in order to improve intake scavenging. It's also fantastic on turbo manifolds. I think it looks great but I'm certain most people don't know how to apply it correctly which leads to many of the common complaints. It needs to be applied wet and tight, allowed to dry fully, and coated with an appropriate high temp coating.

That said I think that all the links posted that are pro ceramic coating are useless; they all appear to be marketing for the industry.

As for the comfort seat preventing a toasty butt, it has no effect.
alfredogtx likes this.

[B]2014 Panigale 899
post #18 of 22 Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
That said I think that all the links posted that are pro ceramic coating are useless; they all appear to be marketing for the industry.
yaeh, most likely, but I cannot find any direct comparisons or any articles that show wrap to be better... They all point to the big detriment of the wrap holding moisture and promoting corrosion.

I wouddn't trust any ceramic coating for an exhaust that the consumer can apply. I really think this is something that should be done professionally. I have my car exhaust JetHot Coated. Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings
post #19 of 22 Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 AM

A couple of things...

Warlord if absolutely correct on how to *correctly* apply these wraps, I've been doing it for years on headers in cars.

That said, a professionally ceramic coat is very efficient. It coats the inside and outside, coats everything 100%. Prevents the heat from penetrating the wall of the exhaust as much is dissipating. This means the exhaust velocities can be maintained, you want the exhaust gas hot ='s expanded as much as possible so it scavenges better by rushing out to the exhaust exit more efficiently. Warlord also mentioned this. At some point in high boost turbo engines for example where header temps can be in-excess of 1,400F, that's where inconel exhaust valves must come into play so you don't burn a valve. Of course our Ducs run no where near this hot.

Also you can combine the methods if you wish, coating with wrap, if there are temperature sensitive components near the exhaust, like your legs haha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Ducati 899 - Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Ducati 848 - SOLD

2001 Ducati 996R - Dream bike

Last edited by 92GTA; 06-22-2014 at 12:09 AM.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-22-2014, 03:37 AM

Its really not that bad. Harden up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page