Exhaust Bolts - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-12-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Bolts

Hi guys,

Changed my stock cans over for a cored exhaust.

Removing the stock cans I stripped one of the exhaust nuts - one of the two nuts at the top of the 2 -to-1 pipe behind the rear wheel (this stripped REALLY easy btw so use caution if you are doing this).
After bashing the sh1t out of it with a flat head screw driver i finally managed to remove the stripped nut.
I then installed the cored cans, but being 1 bolt down, I used some spare bolts i had at home that fit the hole (gold ones in pic). Installing these bolts I over tightened one (they were Sh1t quality) and sheared it completely. Half the bolt is in the hole.

So now i need to remove my rear tyre (will be the first time doing this) allowing me to get full access to these bolts, then will use a screw extractor to hopefully pull out half the bolt that is lodged in the hole, then will replace with HIGH TENSION nuts...

Would anyone be able to tell me the exact name/type of the bolts i need? See pictures attached. Any help is appreciated

Cheers,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	33193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	33201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	33209  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 PM

hey buddy, can't really offer any specifics about the bolts needed, but just in case you don't have them, here's the parts and shop manual:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...kU&usp=sharing

hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeya View Post
Hi guys,

Changed my stock cans over for a cored exhaust.

Removing the stock cans I stripped one of the exhaust nuts - one of the two nuts at the top of the 2 -to-1 pipe behind the rear wheel (this stripped REALLY easy btw so use caution if you are doing this).
After bashing the sh1t out of it with a flat head screw driver i finally managed to remove the stripped nut.
I then installed the cored cans, but being 1 bolt down, I used some spare bolts i had at home that fit the hole (gold ones in pic). Installing these bolts I over tightened one (they were Sh1t quality) and sheared it completely. Half the bolt is in the hole.

So now i need to remove my rear tyre (will be the first time doing this) allowing me to get full access to these bolts, then will use a screw extractor to hopefully pull out half the bolt that is lodged in the hole, then will replace with HIGH TENSION nuts...

Would anyone be able to tell me the exact name/type of the bolts i need? See pictures attached. Any help is appreciated

Cheers,
Steve
post #3 of 3 Old 05-14-2016, 07:05 PM

Don't remember if it's a captive nut tack welded on the back of the flange? Or just a normal nut?

The bolt you are looking for is a socket head cap screw. It will be metric, looking at the photo most likely an M6 x 1, or a M5 x 0.8. You need to either take it into an industrial supplies place / bolt supplier and get them to measure it or get yourself a set of vernier calipers and measure the bolt diameter, length and thread pitch (to work out if it's metric coarse or metric fine, it will most likely be coarse).

Just eyeballing it from the photo, I'd say you'll need either a high tensile socket head cap screw, M5 x 0.8 and 20mm long, or the same but in M6 x 1.0.

Wouldn't hurt to smear a bit of anti seize on it when re assembling either, and make sure you have well fitting (good quality) metric hex keys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page