Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

Someone know what this is?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  120CCPM 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

Just got my '14 899 yesterday. Big day! My garage's been a little un-complete since I sold my 996 R some 10 years ago.

Anyway - when I removed my left lower fairing to change oil filter tonight, this little bugger fell down on the floor. It's an aluminum ear with an adjustment screw (similar to the one on the rear brake pedal). It's got an Allen bolt (3 mm wrench) and 10 mm lock nut. I'd say the broken off part is aluminum with black coating.

Anybody know what it is and where I shall look?

Bikes running just fine.

Appreciate your help!

/ Peter

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Got the answer from my dealer today. It's the steering stop that's been sheard off. Need to replace the whole steering crown to fix it. Lots of $$$. Is this a critical item that must be in place? Tried full left and right turn and can't se any problems with clip ons hitting tank or anything else.

What would you guys do?

Attachments

#4 ·
The right thing to do is to replace the lower triple clamp, even if it's a bit of a job (you need to remove the forks but you can't use a headlift stand). Be careful that without that screw, the fork tube will become your steering stop and will eventually damage wires and brake/clutch lines by squeezing them against the frame.

Very likely it's the photo, but the broken part doesn't seem to exactly match what's left on the triple clamp. If it does, then you can try - as a temporary solution - to glue it back with JB Weld. Take your time properly prepping and cleaning the surfaces, but if you do it well it might actually work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.