Clutch Issues, Please help - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-31-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Issues, Please help

I'm having an issue I can't quite figure out. Here are the facts.

Bike: 2014 Ducati Panigale 899
Mileage: 3,330
Clutch Lever: Pazzo

I'm having to bleed the clutch often to ensure my lever stays relatively stiff. Even when I do so the following occurs:
When I pull the lever in and hold, after about 2 seconds the pressure dramatically decreases, clutch engages, and I notice the fluid in the reservoir increases. After releasing the lever and pumping a few times the stiffness returns. Needless to say, this forces me to have to approach a stop in neutral and not shift until the light turns green. Rather frustrating. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MM899.png
Views:	46
Size:	712.2 KB
ID:	39249  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-31-2018, 06:20 PM

You may have internal leak in the slave cylinder, I heard that it could happen. However, before anything, are you sure that there's no air bubble in the system?
post #3 of 15 Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 PM

OK,
Not slave cylinder I don't think. If the slave is leaking, you will lose clutch pressure but the reservoir level will not change at the time you depress the lever but will slowly empty as the brake fluid leaks from the slave. You will also see brake fluid around the slave cylinder.
This sounds like a leaking master cylinder. When you squeeze the clutch, initially it works well but a leak in the master will allow fluid to return into the reservoir (whilst the clutch lever is puled in) and you will lose hydraulic pressure downstream - this will engage the clutch.
That's my take on it at least - I am not a mechanic and I have never serviced a master cylinder but have swapped out my slave and did do a bit of research into it at the time. My understanding is that there are no master service kits available due to some legal issue, so you have to have it done professionally or buy a whole new master cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-31-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You may have internal leak in the slave cylinder, I heard that it could happen. However, before anything, are you sure that there's no air bubble in the system?
Sorry, as an addition to my last post, I have been thinking about JB's comment. I can see how an internal leak in the slave would engage the clutch but not how this would allow fluid to return into the reservoir - I thought that was governed by the master cylinder. However, on reflection I am not absolutely sure of this, so I will wait to see if I am corrected by someone who knows better.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-31-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes because when I try to continue bleeding nothing but fluid comes out. air is not a likely cause
post #6 of 15 Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob11966 View Post
Sorry, as an addition to my last post, I have been thinking about JB's comment. I can see how an internal leak in the slave would engage the clutch but not how this would allow fluid to return into the reservoir - I thought that was governed by the master cylinder. However, on reflection I am not absolutely sure of this, so I will wait to see if I am corrected by someone who knows better.
ok so should I shift my attention to the master cylinder?
post #7 of 15 Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 PM

I think so, but I think that it would be better to wait to hear from someone who is more of an expert than me.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwanmostafa View Post
I'm having an issue I can't quite figure out. Here are the facts.

Bike: 2014 Ducati Panigale 899
Mileage: 3,330
Clutch Lever: Pazzo

I'm having to bleed the clutch often to ensure my lever stays relatively stiff. Even when I do so the following occurs:
When I pull the lever in and hold, after about 2 seconds the pressure dramatically decreases, clutch engages, and I notice the fluid in the reservoir increases. After releasing the lever and pumping a few times the stiffness returns. Needless to say, this forces me to have to approach a stop in neutral and not shift until the light turns green. Rather frustrating. Any advice or help is appreciated.

IF this helps you I own a 2015 899 and I currently have NO clutch at all. I was informed by my Ducati dealer that it is the clutch slave cylinder that is most likely bad. Of course being out of warranty sucks so I am going to a friends shop to fix this issue. I think I am just going to purchase an Oberon Slave and if that is not the issue, the shop said they will bore out and re seal the clutch master. This is a known issue according to my dealer, but they claim it's a hit or miss situation. Once I have addressed the issue I can report back, but currently I don't plan on the fix until mid winter. I am a fuel truck driver and we are hitting our busy season now so I don't have the time at the moment.

Jeff

2015 DUCATI 899 PANIGALE - RED
post #9 of 15 Old 11-01-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG74 View Post
IF this helps you I own a 2015 899 and I currently have NO clutch at all. I was informed by my Ducati dealer that it is the clutch slave cylinder that is most likely bad. Of course being out of warranty sucks so I am going to a friends shop to fix this issue. I think I am just going to purchase an Oberon Slave and if that is not the issue, the shop said they will bore out and re seal the clutch master. This is a known issue according to my dealer, but they claim it's a hit or miss situation. Once I have addressed the issue I can report back, but currently I don't plan on the fix until mid winter. I am a fuel truck driver and we are hitting our busy season now so I don't have the time at the moment.

Jeff
Thanks for your feedback. I have an oberon slave cylinder on order. Once I install I will report back as well. Hoping the slave cylinder solves my dilemma. If anyone has additional information that may help please post. thx
JAG74 likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-05-2018, 02:42 PM

Yeah, let us know once you swap out the slave cylinder. My money is on the slave cylinder simply because I've read so many reports across all kinds of Ducati that has had this issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page