Leaking fork seal - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By spdu4ia
  • 2 Post By buklae620
  • 1 Post By Miflemin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Leaking fork seal

I noticed a bit of oil after my last track day, and then yesterday noticed quite a bit more while out on a ride. I immediately headed home, and parked the bike. On a whim, I found a few articles on something called Seal Mate; which apparently has been used with great success. So, couple of questions:

1) Anyone here use it, and is it really a fix you can trust for 'performance' riding?
2) How much oil can you lose before it becomes an issue?

The second question comes from reading a bunch of articles on rebuilding forks, and how exacting the oil measurements tend to be.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 09:39 AM

Yes they do work to get small bits of debris out of your seals if that's why yours is leaking it will fix it. I used a DIY meathod with 35mm film (or something equaly thin) before on my old Aprilia with good success.

Hey, for the low price of free... its worth a shot, you wont make it worse right...
Ugrin likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 10:15 AM

I cover my shocks with shockware material to avoid leaking forks. They're red now, but will get some black ones same color as the fender.
Usually it's dust particles.
I tried using the seal mate one time, but did not work for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014 899 Panigale (White With Red Rims): GP Shifted(up and down shift with two shifters), Competion Werks Fender Eliminator Kit, Bikemaster Hand Grip, Shorty Levers, Seat Cowl, After Market Red Steering Damper with Black Clamp, Clutch, Brake and Rear Brake With Covers... Current Bike to Mod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 848 EVO: Sold

2007 GSXR 600: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 01:16 PM

I have recently used the seal mate on my 899. My left front fork seal was leaking and I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the entire fork and repairing the leak.

For about $5 I gave the seal a shot. I thought, "For $5 what the **** do I have to lose?"

It was $5 well spent because it do not have any more fluid leaking on my left fork seal.
Ugrin and Karlos like this.

Good Sellers:
BrOsiah

Good Buyers:
Venom

2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2017, 12:03 AM

+1 on the seal mate! In fact...I just made my own from a gallon milk jug!!! I saw the seal mate video...cut a similar size and shape from a milk jug in the recycling container...and it totally worked!!! I'll buy a seal mate just to support them and their great instruction on the video! Worked on my 2015 899 panigale...it or was really leaking! I thought for sure seal was blown! I also have a piper Cherokee 140 that has a leak in the oleo strut...I'm going to try this technique on her as well!!!
Ugrin likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-30-2017, 03:33 PM

Are fork seals not covered under warranty?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miflemin View Post
+1 on the seal mate! In fact...I just made my own from a gallon milk jug!!! I saw the seal mate video...cut a similar size and shape from a milk jug in the recycling container...and it totally worked!!! I'll buy a seal mate just to support them and their great instruction on the video! Worked on my 2015 899 panigale...it or was really leaking! I thought for sure seal was blown! I also have a piper Cherokee 140 that has a leak in the oleo strut...I'm going to try this technique on her as well!!!

I did exactly what you did and cut my own from water bottle...the tick ones from like sparkling water and it did work for me as well. I was pretty happy from the fact I donít have to deal with taking the bike to a mechanic. Also order the tool to support this guys that save me some money and hassle. Be safe all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page