Took bike home from dealer and now battery dead - Page 2 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

they replaced the regulator and rectifier and i brought it home 1 week ago and the battery is completely dead again. Any advice on what I should do? Lemon Laws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 05-07-2015, 03:49 AM

Garage
I had the same problem. After a week it went dead and wouldn't take a charge. After buying a after market battery I have had no problems.

If it not broke, fix it until it is!
2014 Ducati Panigale 899
2014 Aprilia rs4

London UK
post #13 of 18 Old 05-07-2015, 05:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
I replaced the 899 battery with a Shorai and kept the stock battery on another tender in case I needed it... It has since gone bad.

My recommendation (to anyone that will listen) is to get a Shorai LiIon battery and you should be fine without a tender or go periods without riding just fine.

You will also shave a few lbs of weight from just below the tank and it makes a difference that you can honestly feel.
I got my 899 in April LAST year. Rode it for roughly over 9.000 km until late October when I put it to bed for the winter break. Got it out again 8 weeks ago. I'm close to 12.000 km and the first big service now. In all that time my oem battery has never seen a charger, nor was it taken out. And even after the 4 month winter break the bike started like a charm. The starter didn't even need to do a full turn to get the engine going. Fastest start ever after a long hiatus since I had a motorcycle. My 3 Aprilias (2002 Falco, 2004 and 2007 RSV) would start ok after a longer break, but not remotely close to the 899. I have to admit though, the bike is parked in a very warm place, the room where the heating of my house is situated. And I tend to keep the kill-switch active.

Braking makes the rims dirty.

2004 Aprilia RSV RR / 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

post #14 of 18 Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhawk View Post
I got my 899 in April LAST year. Rode it for roughly over 9.000 km until late October when I put it to bed for the winter break. Got it out again 8 weeks ago. I'm close to 12.000 km and the first big service now. In all that time my oem battery has never seen a charger, nor was it taken out. And even after the 4 month winter break the bike started like a charm. The starter didn't even need to do a full turn to get the engine going. Fastest start ever after a long hiatus since I had a motorcycle. My 3 Aprilias (2002 Falco, 2004 and 2007 RSV) would start ok after a longer break, but not remotely close to the 899. I have to admit though, the bike is parked in a very warm place, the room where the heating of my house is situated. And I tend to keep the kill-switch active.
I have heard both good and bad stories re: the Yuasa battery... for every person that has had a bad experience with it, there is someone else like yourself with no troubles. I can't put my finger on it, but neither of mine lasted 6 months with constant riding and occaisional tendering.

I still think the Shorai is a good investment, but your mileage will certainly vary as with anything that has a limited shelf life.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
post #15 of 18 Old 05-07-2015, 04:31 PM

my bike was in my garage for months without a tender. whenever I did put it on, it was already over 80% charged and wouldn't charge for more than 10 mins. So I stopped bothering to charge it. I never made note as to the kill switch position, but i'm betting it's 50/50 for me since I sometimes use the kickstand, and sometimes the switch.
I really think you have a draw/short somewhere and you should take it back to the dealer. no battery should die that quickly.
let them figure it out. the last thing you want is a issue and a question as to if they'll honor the warrenty because you were trying to fix it.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Front and Rear R&G Sliders , Rizoma B-Pro pegs, Ducati performance carbon tank protector, Pit Bull Spools, NRC FEK, R&G Radiator Guards, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Red Wheels, ProGrip 717, Heated Grips

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster -
post #16 of 18 Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissrock View Post
my bike was in my garage for months without a tender. whenever I did put it on, it was already over 80% charged and wouldn't charge for more than 10 mins. So I stopped bothering to charge it. I never made note as to the kill switch position, but i'm betting it's 50/50 for me since I sometimes use the kickstand, and sometimes the switch.
I really think you have a draw/short somewhere and you should take it back to the dealer. no battery should die that quickly.
let them figure it out. the last thing you want is a issue and a question as to if they'll honor the warrenty because you were trying to fix it.
Thanks. It went back to the dealer. They think the draw is coming from the ignition. They gave me a loaner bike in the interim. I still want my baby but I will have to do with the loaner.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-08-2015, 05:47 PM

Garage
I have the Ducati alarm system on mine and that flattened the battery in a couple of weeks when I forgot to put it on the tender. Even better... when you fit the Ducati allarm you can't use the Ducati tender as they use the same accessory plug nder the seat and your (laughable) toolkit won't fit under the seat either
post #18 of 18 Old 05-08-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete899 View Post
I have the Ducati alarm system on mine and that flattened the battery in a couple of weeks when I forgot to put it on the tender. Even better... when you fit the Ducati allarm you can't use the Ducati tender as they use the same accessory plug nder the seat and your (laughable) toolkit won't fit under the seat either
Couple weeks? I would kill for that. Mine is a few days but at lest they figured out the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page