First ride impressions after buying the bike. - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PatrickR
  • 1 Post By tripledigits

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
First ride impressions after buying the bike.

1. The bike gets HOT in traffic, especially in the excruciatingly slow Bombay traffic. The hot and humid weather doesn't help either, bike was running 104*c after a bit.
  2. The pegs are REALLY slippery... Have ordered rearsets, but gosh, I didn't realize they would be this bad.
  3. The clutch definitely needs new oil, as the current one is as black as can be and the clutch feels rock solid. Is this normal, or is it just the bad oil? Is it worth upgrading to a oberon clutch?
  4. It's really a HOOT to ride, even though I haven't really had a chance of opening it up yet and am riding on "rain" mode, because city traffic and this is my most powerful bike yet. Jumped from an RC390 on to this thing, so want to take it easy for a bit.
  5. The exhaust hits speed bumps in my city, need to be more careful over those.
  6. Fuel consumption is ATROCIOUS as it stands, it's reading 10.2l/100kms or about 9.8km/ltr(22.6mpg), but this is probably because of the constant stop & go traffic I've been riding in. Need to go for a long highway run to see what I can expect.

Last edited by psych0hans; 06-08-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 AM

Stop riding it in the city. Find some nice back roads or a track and all of your complaints will disappear...except the pegs, those really suck. Haha

I only ride my 899 when I really want to ride, then it's straight out of town and to the most twisty roads I can find. Heat is never an issue for me and I usually see 45-54mpg on average. I love it more each time I ride it.
psych0hans likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 PM

I must concur with PatrickR, 899 is not a good daily driver in the city....not to mention, you might only get 3k miles out of the rear tyre if running the oem rubber (I only get 2500 miles out of my rear and my cords were already showing). On the bright side, the OEM Pirelli's are amazingly sticky and confidence inspiring.
Also, check with your dealer because for me there was a software update, at least on my 2014 US model, that greatly reduced the heat coming from pipes.
I live in Florida so I feel ya pain....
Suzuki gixxer 750 is my daily driver, it has a trunk I can put a few papers in at least, lol.
Running Michelins on the gixxer and can get 4-5 k out of those rears.
Good Luck !
psych0hans likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 AM
sb5

With item 1, i had my exhaust ceramic coated. I was initialy skeptical but was assured by my mech that it would make the bike less hot. And it did ! Before coating, I would feel it cooking my right inner thighs as soon as i'm in traffic . After coating, the heat is waaaay less obvious. It still hits 103-4deg cel, but you won't be feeling it as much. Probably 30-40% less uncomfortable than what it was. The pipes were also beginning to discolour so the coating served an aesthetic purpose as well.

With item 2 , would fully concur. In fact, having aftermarket rearsets would probably make you realize the stock pegs are crappier than you previously thought it is.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 AM

1. Compared to the RS390 the 899 would be an oven in India. But it's also a Ducati superbike and personal sacrifices must be made if you want to ride this thing. You do get used to it but you gotta take it to some twisty roads and open it up otherwise you're just using a bike outside of its skillset. A bit like carving up a roast with a spoon. Use it for what it's intended to be and you'll fall in love, I promise.

2. Replace the stock pegs. They suck. I bought some aftermarket pegs and did it myself (not a mechanic) and it's way cheaper than buying a full rear set.

3. Clutch and front Brake Oil do discolour because of the lines if it is a new bike. Mine went black very quickly, and after a 1,000km service that staining was gone. If your bike is secondhand and done a few kilometres then look at getting the fluids replaced. I wouldn't buy a replacement clutch, just change the fluids and see what you think. The clutch is a lot stiffer than the RC390. But you get used to it.

4. Rain Mode is fine to start out on till you get your confidence up. This bike is over 3 times more powerful than your last bike. That's not to be taken lightly but you'll grow into it easily. The 899 is a great street bike. I leave mine in Sport most of the time anyway. Don't rush. Just enjoy the stages of learning your motorcycle.

5. They must be high speed bumps.

6. I get about 175km before I see a fuel light and 220km before I'm really freaking out. But my riding conditions (open roads, twisties) would be completely different to yours so please don't use that as a benchmark. It's a thirsty thing compared to little street bikes.

Welcome to the world of Ducati ownership. Like all religions, there is a certain degree of logical denial and personal sacrifice.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM

crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crapcrap crap crap crap crap

(please delete this profile - I have asked nicely).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page