Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

CycleWorld Super Middleweight Comparo

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  supersport 
#1 ·
Just go the new CycleWorld today, it contains yet another middleweight "shootout", it seems every one gets more retarded than the last....... :rolleyes:

This one is comparing the 899, MV F3800 and the Gixxer 750. At least they got a fast rider to do the track test instead of one of the staff clowns (in this case Nicky Hayden's cousin Hayden Gillim who's a fast kid), but they did the test on the Streets of Willow which is a really short/tight track. Lap times had Gixxer fastest, MV 2nd, 899 3rd, but Gillim commented that if he had been given more time to get the bikes set up properly that he thought he'd be fastest on the 899. Overall they ranked Gixxer 1st, 899 2nd and MV 3rd. So what do we learn from this additional comparison test? Nothing.... as usual..... Ha ha!

P.S. - The one thing that was the most interesting was the sidebar in the article where they said they also compared the 899 to the base 1199 with Gillam at the track and the 899 was 1.4 secs quicker due to the tight track layout and the brutal power delivery of the 1199.

#5 ·
Pretty much every magazine has been doing comparisons - Superbike put the 899 on top, Fast Bikes put it second behind the Daytona 675R (9/10 and 10/10 respectively), and Sport Rider put the GSXR750 on top. What I don't really understand is why (a) the 899 gets consistently slower lap times on track and (b) why the Sport Rider article slammed the 899 so hard on ergonomics and exhaust heat - and pretty much everything else. I mean, the GSXR is certainly a good bike, but there are many areas it falls behind both the 899 and the MV F3 800...in both the technical sense as well as feel.

#6 ·
a) Lots of reasons, a general lack of experience racing twins vs. 4-cylinders, poor setup knowledge of Ducatis, etc. Due to the longer wheelbase on the Ducati (almost 2" longer than some of the Jap bikes) it's a much different beast to ride and get set up correctly for fast lap times. In the CycleWorld article, the racer said if he had more time to get the setup dialed in he would have been fastest on the 899.
b) Sport Rider hates Ducati, always have, you have to look really hard to find kind words said about a Ducati in Sport Rider. And Sport Rider LOVES the Gixxer, always have, you have to look really hard to find any bike that ever beats a Gixxer in a Sport Rider shootout! :cool:

They have to find things to talk about in these comparison tests, and it appears to be a real struggle. For example in the CycleWorld article, the Gixxer doesn't even HAVE traction control, the MV is derided for having "crude" poorly-executed traction control, yet in their list of "ups and downs" they give a Down to the Ducati for not having the ability to adjust the traction control settings while riding. Again the Gixxer doesn't even HAVE traction control, and the MV apparently has really poor traction control, but we'll complain about the Ducati not allowing it's very nicely-integrated and effective traction control system to be adjusted on the fly?? Oh, other than if you switch your riding mode, which you CAN do while riding, it WILL change the traction control setting, so I guess you CAN adjust it on the fly, but somehow they missed that..... :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Once I buy a bike I never read another word from a journalist about it.

Why do I need some other guy to tell me what my bike is like when I have one in the garage. If I like it, then great. I don't care if others don't.

I'm still on a waiting list. But I'm done reading these comparison articles.

#8 ·
But I'm done reading these comparison articles.
Same here. 1,500 miles now on my 899 and I'd rather be out getting to be a better rider and a critic of myself than read anymore magazine crap lol.

I loved my 848 for a reason, I love my 899 for the same reason. Just don't need the 1199. I normally wouldn't admit it on the bike forums, but I'm 95% car guy anyway, I only ride for fun, for the thrill, for the challenge to myself on mountain roads. Take anything too seriously (Like I did cars for too long) and it doesn't become as "fun" anymore.

#11 ·
I just wished they repaved the streets of willow- track has become crap- I mean, the skid pad is rippled like a mo fo from cars - I use some of the cracks on the ground a turn in and brake markers....

#12 ·
The better bike is the one i want to ride in. Seriously the .??? second blah blah blah faster bike is pointless in the real world for mere mortals. They all preform very well. Once you get used to the bike it wouldnt matter.

Some bike are easier to ride fast and hard than others but they are ugly as sh!t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.