Daily Ridden, Race Ready Red Panigale - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 11-13-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Daily Ridden, Race Ready Red Panigale

Once upon a time, I got tired of being like every other lemming in a box. I took the MSF and bought a bike. Several years, struggles, and a few bikes later I arrived at the dream bike, the 899. I've never modded a bike until now because I plan to keep this one for a while.

As a mundane office worker, friends and family have said that riding a superbike daily is crazy, but their idea of insanity is my greatest solace.

My goal is to make the Pani suit me and my riding because it's my only bike. Commute to work; take the long way home. Explore the path less traveled; see the unseen. Hammer the track; become a better overall rider.

Here's how she stands now, I'll update with pictures and explanations of the build and the journey as times comes.

She's named after the Italian/Roman Goddess of wisdom, war, and art; Minerva.
jkeown, smcf, XCLR8TN and 6 others like this.

Straights are for fast bikes, turns are for fast riders.
Aprilia Shiver 750: SOLD
Ducati Panigale 899: Track Weapon
Ducati Monster 1200: Daily Weapon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 PM

What are your plans ?
post #3 of 56 Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdu4ia View Post
What are your plans ?
My plans are to keep her livable for the daily grind.
I didn't want to dwell on the parts I had chosen in detail because not everything is set in stone yet. I rely a lot on the forums and former threads for guidance. In terms of priority for the bike:

1. Comfort, Controls
2. Crash protections
3. Cosmetics

The bike is already far above what I can bring out on the track. Instead of focusing on making the bike go faster, I need to become a faster and safer rider.

1. Rider weather & safety gear
2. Track requirements & Schooling, Track days
3. Maintenance & Miscellaneous

When I dove deeper into motorcycle sub-culture, I realized modding the motorcycle itself isn't the biggest struggle. It's what you need to do to continue riding that creates the most compromises. I want to emphasize that also.

Last edited by Panzer; 11-14-2015 at 08:05 AM. Reason: It's more fun if you don't know the exact build too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 AM

It sounds like you are going about this in the right way but beware! An Italian Goddess is very powerful and persuasive. She will cry out for carbon fiber(her favorite), rearsets and a tailtidy. She won't stop till she gets what she wants. New graphics are also on her list. Minerva will gently whisper her wants and desires in your sleep till you succumb to her needs. You will try and resist but they always get their way. I know!
vyruz, smcf, Hypnodic01 and 2 others like this.

Ducati MTS 1200GT 13, Piaggio BV350 13, 899(red) 14
post #5 of 56 Old 11-14-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The very first mod, from the showroom floor:

Termignoni Slip on Exhaust with UpMap (cosmetic & control)

Mind you, I only rode it stock for about an hour. There was a subtle change in the power delivery. I think it's the revised map more than anything, it makes the bike run a bit leaner and smoothens some of the roughness out.

The sound however, was so loud it was hurting my ears and setting off car alarms as I rode by on my way to work. I had to source the dB killers by asking the previous owner of the bike and exhaust for the dB killers. It retained the deeper grunt quality (slightly higher pitch) and no longer echos through city streets.

TechSpec Tank Grips (control)

After a few days of riding I noticed that when I was wearing anything BUT my leathers I would slider off the slippery paint. The force of my grips was not enough to prevent my family joules from creating an equal and opposite reaction with the gas tank. I held onto the bars quite tightly to prevent this from happening putting unnecessary strain on my wrists and palms. The top of the grips show some loosening of the material but it works so I keep them. Unless I want tiny rubber floor mats.

LighTech Magnesium Brake & Clutch Levers (cosmetic)

While I was doing online shopping I wanted to make the bike look a little more bling. I felt the yellow on the LighTech logo matched the springs and ordered them. It ended up being a little short for my tastes though and the magnesium metal gets chilly when I'm riding in 40 degree weather.
If anyone wants to trade the LighTechs for some CRG Racing (standard+standard or standard clutch+shorty brake) levers, shoot me a PM, I'll pay for shipping. : )

Ram Mount X-Grip (controls)

I kept on using my GPS by listening to Google Maps tell me where to go in my ear -- it wasn't something I was going to put up with for long so I got the Ram X mount because other people trusted it, so I would too with my iPhone.
I followed a guide as listed here, not exactly as my shop did not have the same parts, but they worked regardless and it holds strong.
How to install RAM Mount

Rizoma Spools & Fork Sliders (maintenance & crash protection)

My Woodcraft spools fell off from vibrations over time. Eventually I decided I would need to do some maintenance and lube that chain. I wanted to get swingarm sliders with matching fork sliders at the same time, so my local Ducati dealer said they only had Rizoma's in Red&Silver and that the spools act like sliders? I said "They match the stock Showa suspension, so I must have them." Honestly, the rears look small and dinky and I wouldn't expect them to hold up against anything more than a slow embarrassing drop at a stoplight. I also used Loctite all over those badboys so they don't share the same fate as the Woodcraft ones ...
vyruz, craiger527 and ahvengeance like this.

post #6 of 56 Old 11-14-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger527 View Post
It sounds like you are going about this in the right way but beware! An Italian Goddess is very powerful and persuasive. She will cry out for carbon fiber(her favorite), rearsets and a tailtidy. She won't stop till she gets what she wants. New graphics are also on her list. Minerva will gently whisper her wants and desires in your sleep till you succumb to her needs. You will try and resist but they always get their way. I know!
I burst out laughing as I read deeper and deeper. : )

Next on the list is rider gear so I can be eligible for track days and schooling.

My fender currently holds my disc brake lock. Minerva doesn't like holding the extra weight because she's a spoiled girl. She wants me to hold all of my cargo and all of her things when we go out. She convinced me she needs that tail tidy ASAP.

Day 45, I suspect she's a succubus. - Pan

post #7 of 56 Old 11-15-2015, 03:10 AM

I'm sure there will be many suggestions forthcoming from members but if i could just make one of my own, maybe look at getting rad guards.
Rowan and rybo like this.
post #8 of 56 Old 11-16-2015, 12:31 AM

Garage
Excellent photos Pan!

Since comfort/control is priority one, may I suggest changing grips to the ProGrip 717? They are cheap (Ducati Omaha have them at $16 - link), and make an immediate difference comfort-wise. They are slightly thicker and way grippier, so you can maintain a light grip without feeling slippy on the bars. The black-red ProGrip 717 comes stock with the 1199 Superleggera.
craiger527 and Panzer like this.
post #9 of 56 Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 AM

Evotech Radiator Guards
GB Racing Engine and Clutch Covers
Front and Rear Crash Spools
ProGrip 717 grips.
DP Foot Pegs
Evotech Tail Tidy with Ducati LED Tail Lights
Phillips Diamond Vision H11 bulbs
3M Venture shield or Opti Coat
Ducati Corsa Racing Windshield
Telferizer Ram Ball Mount (for Go Pro, or SpeedAngle Data Logger for the track)

That's what I've done so far. She's a track and road bike like yours. But I am trying not to take her to many track days now as I'm saving up for a cheap R6 track beater so I can learn how to go faster on the track, and not stress about a huge repair bill. Track Riding has changed my outlook on motorbikes, and these 899's are just so darn expensive to fix after a 'get off'.
ilconseglieri likes this.
post #10 of 56 Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Evotech Radiator Guards
GB Racing Engine and Clutch Covers
Front and Rear Crash Spools
ProGrip 717 grips.
DP Foot Pegs
Evotech Tail Tidy with Ducati LED Tail Lights
Phillips Diamond Vision H11 bulbs
3M Venture shield or Opti Coat
Ducati Corsa Racing Windshield
Telferizer Ram Ball Mount (for Go Pro, or SpeedAngle Data Logger for the track)

That's what I've done so far. She's a track and road bike like yours. But I am trying not to take her to many track days now as I'm saving up for a cheap R6 track beater so I can learn how to go faster on the track, and not stress about a huge repair bill. Track Riding has changed my outlook on motorbikes, and these 899's are just so darn expensive to fix after a 'get off'.
If you break the tank it's only $2,500. Good thing we have steel tanks instead of plastic ones, plastic costs $3,500 from Ducati. Makes me wonder what we're paying for sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up. My very first post on the forum was about the 3M guard actually, good reminder about bringing that back. Haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page