ABS elimination question - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

ABS elimination question

Hi!
Been reading previous posts about getting rid of the ABS. As Im using my bike only on the track I definitely want to do this.
I have a custom line made. I only do the front for the time being.
My question is if I can just simply remove the lines coming to and from the ABS unit and replace them with a direct line?
I have read that those of you who have done this mod plugged in the ABS unit with a 10mm 1mm pitch bolt.
Is there a reason for the need to plug it in other then keeping it clean of dust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab25 View Post
Hi!
Been reading previous posts about getting rid of the ABS. As Im using my bike only on the track I definitely want to do this.
I have a custom line made. I only do the front for the time being.
My question is if I can just simply remove the lines coming to and from the ABS unit and replace them with a direct line?
I have read that those of you who have done this mod plugged in the ABS unit with a 10mm 1mm pitch bolt.
Is there a reason for the need to plug it in other then keeping it clean of dust?
My understanding is that it needs to be plugged so the ABS pump can pressurize correctly and not throw errors on the dash. Then yes you can remove the stock front lines completely and replace with a direct master-to-caliper line.
rybo likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM

cant you just turn the ABS off in race mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
My understanding is that it needs to be plugged so the ABS pump can pressurize correctly and not throw errors on the dash. Then yes you can remove the stock front lines completely and replace with a direct master-to-caliper line.
Thank you Jarel, I'll plug it in then.
rybo likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADOC View Post
cant you just turn the ABS off in race mode?
You can but even in that case you have approxinately 100 cm of unnecessary brake line and the oil has to go through the abs pump. I think its just more sensitive to air bubbles and there is bigger chance of loosing some pressure.
I expect a more precize brake feel from the direct line.
I will also upgrade to the higher spec Brembo lever and master cilynder but for this I need an aftermarket on/off switch. I ordered one but it hasnt arrived yet.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

So, ABS is history by now. I also installed the new Brembo master cylinder and headed off to the track yesterday.
This was a great upgrade. The differense is night and day. Now the brake is really what it should be. Very precise feel all day long.
Highly recommended mod for track riders.
Concerning the track day...
I managed to do exactly the same laptimes as I did with my 848.
I know it doesn't sound too good but taking into consideration that this was only my second track day with the new bike, and that we are still just learning eachother I am pretty optimistic.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 04:15 PM

Nice! I just did mine today and will be trying it out at the track this weekend. I have a good spec for a brake line kit now, and have sourced the appropriate plugs for the ABS unit to cap off the front ABS line connections. I went with a T-split line, with single line coming down from the Brembo Racing master, and then a T split and single line going to each caliper. I like that setup better than a dual-banjo with single line going down to each caliper, especially since the stock brake line routing guides the triple are designed for a single line. We're going to package it as a "kit" upgrade for 899 track bikes including the master and calipers with racing brake pads, and optional Brembo racing rotors.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-21-2016, 01:09 PM

Where did you source those ABS plugs from?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 PM

If I recall, they are exhaust pipe O2 port bolts, I found them in our random pile of misc. bolts at our shop so don't know the exact source.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
If I recall, they are exhaust pipe O2 port bolts, I found them in our random pile of misc. bolts at our shop so don't know the exact source.
Jarelj,

2018 now, any other way to get rid of that initial slop? If not I'll be ordering your abs delete kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page