Oil leak issue "found"...not warranty covered, looking for help - Page 7 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 74 Old 03-07-2015, 09:01 PM

Garage
So Littleozzie, what became of your oil leak?

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 04-20-2015, 10:35 AM

This has just happened to me. Took the bike in for a service at Laguna Motorcycles here in the UK. Evotech lower Radiator guard fitted. Next time out on the bike I stop for lunch only to come back and find she's leaking oil... couldn't wait 2 weeks to get an appointment with a Ducati dealer so took her to Rosso Corse. Sure enough when the lower radiator guard was fitted its damaged something behind and hence the leak... Very annoying... especially as I only have another week off work and for once its sunny in England...
post #63 of 74 Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 AM

IMG_4908 by mark.burley1981, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBurley View Post
This has just happened to me. Took the bike in for a service at Laguna Motorcycles here in the UK. Evotech lower Radiator guard fitted. Next time out on the bike I stop for lunch only to come back and find she's leaking oil... couldn't wait 2 weeks to get an appointment with a Ducati dealer so took her to Rosso Corse. Sure enough when the lower radiator guard was fitted its damaged something behind and hence the leak... Very annoying... especially as I only have another week off work and for once its sunny in England...
I am sorry to hear about your oil leak...

Perhaps @Ugrin could provide some insight?
MBurley likes this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
post #65 of 74 Old 04-21-2015, 03:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is POSSIBLE to cause an oil leak fitting the guards.

To be really correct its not fitting the guard that can do it... It's taking the screws out to fit it that can cause an issue if you don't do it properly. It will only happen with the lower guard.

If you don't remove the fairing lowers when doing the removal you won't see that the lower mounts also act as the rocker cover bolts for the front head. To avoid the issue remove the lowers and hold the rocker cover bolts with a spanner before removing the screws. Then before you fit the guard re torque the cover bolts just to be sure. This should avoid any issues I think.

I cheated and took the lowers off and fitted black cable ties around the mounts to hold my guard on. It works, you can hardly see it and it stops them saying you caused a leak.

My view on this is not from anything I've heard but simply removing the fairing lowers to look how it was mounted after I heard the horror stories. Hope it's helpful
post #66 of 74 Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
I am sorry to hear about your oil leak...

Perhaps @Ugrin could provide some insight?
The insight is to take the bike to the dealer and get it fixed...People like @sinjin need to take there bikes to the dealer even for a wash so they don't break anything. For the rest ...don't worry that's what the warranty is for. This bolts was not torqued up to specs @sinjin and the factory already took measures. K?
post #67 of 74 Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete899 View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is POSSIBLE to cause an oil leak fitting the guards.

To be really correct its not fitting the guard that can do it... It's taking the screws out to fit it that can cause an issue if you don't do it properly. It will only happen with the lower guard.

If you don't remove the fairing lowers when doing the removal you won't see that the lower mounts also act as the rocker cover bolts for the front head. To avoid the issue remove the lowers and hold the rocker cover bolts with a spanner before removing the screws. Then before you fit the guard re torque the cover bolts just to be sure. This should avoid any issues I think.

I cheated and took the lowers off and fitted black cable ties around the mounts to hold my guard on. It works, you can hardly see it and it stops them saying you caused a leak.

My view on this is not from anything I've heard but simply removing the fairing lowers to look how it was mounted after I heard the horror stories. Hope it's helpful
Your spot on! That's exactly what has happened... picture says it all...

Rosso Corse Repair by mark.burley1981, on Flickr
pete899 and axiomsl like this.
post #68 of 74 Old 04-23-2015, 04:51 AM

post #69 of 74 Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugrin View Post
The insight is to take the bike to the dealer and get it fixed...People like @sinjin need to take there bikes to the dealer even for a wash so they don't break anything. For the rest ...don't worry that's what the warranty is for. This bolts was not torqued up to specs @sinjin and the factory already took measures. K?
Ducati Warranty DOES NOT cover improperly installed parts. However, if the dealer does in fact perform the work and they do not take the proper precautions then they are obligated to fix their own mistake. Big difference and thanks for helping me drive that point home!

Again, you are wrong! Mburley just showed and agreed with Pete899 that it was indeed an issue with the anchor bolt.

There is also a big difference between cleaning your bike and having upgrades installed. At no time did I ever suggest that someone not perform the work themselves. What I did say was that there were potential complications while installing the lower radiator guard which is evident from this and other threads and discussions and that if the individual is not confident that they can safely do the installation, they should consider taking it to a tech that can... if that involves their dealer, then so be it.

What you said was that this was Bull$hit and the little bolt can not be responsible for the oil leak. Your words! When in fact, this has proven to be an issue and Evotech has in fact completely redesigned the method by which it is fastened to the bike.

Grow up.
Rowan, pete899, Ugrin and 1 others like this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools

Last edited by sinjin; 04-23-2015 at 07:58 AM.
post #70 of 74 Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Your spot on! That's exactly what has happened... picture says it all...

Rosso Corse Repair by mark.burley1981, on Flickr
Yep. That says it all.

If Laguna installed the guards then it may not be covered under Ducati warranty but Laguna should put it right at no cost. Although it probably complicates matters as it went elsewhere to be sorted. It would be a nice good will gesture if they footed the bill. In your defence my Evotech guard had no instructions to tell me to remove the lowers or lock the stud in place when fitting the guard.

The reason I secured mine with cable ties is because A.. its easier to remove for cleaning and B.. I had read several comments on the forum about this exact leak and I didn't want the dealer to have any possible get out that it was my installation that caused the issue.

It was only when I removed the lowers that I saw the mounting stud and was going to fit the guard in the normal way by holding the stud with a spanner while I undid the screws. My cynical brain kicked un and said I would have no way to prove to the dealer that I had done it correctly if a leak showed up. My thanks goes to the poor guys on here that had already suffered leaks for putting it in my head.

Coincidently my bike came from Laguna Motorcycles.
sinjin and MBurley like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page