Air filter cleaning - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Air filter cleaning

I'm at the 7,500 mile service interval and I managed to do the service myself except for the air filter. I want to know how the air filter is cleaned. I see that you can buy all types of sprays and cleaners but I'm not sure the factory material inside the air filter is made for that. Any help with cleaning recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-26-2019, 04:07 PM

The factory air filter is not really designed to be cleaned, generally it is replaced. But you could probably blow it out with compressed air if you wanted.

Now, if you have a sprint or k&n type air filter... those can be cleaned. Each manufacturer offers their own cleaning kit.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-28-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg24 View Post
The factory air filter is not really designed to be cleaned, generally it is replaced. But you could probably blow it out with compressed air if you wanted.

Now, if you have a sprint or k&n type air filter... those can be cleaned. Each manufacturer offers their own cleaning kit.
Actually, the owner's manual calls for the filter to be cleaned every 7500mi, and replaced every 15000. It's listed as an operation that must be performed by the dealer, but it's actually pretty easy to do. When I got my 899 she had ~4000mi on her, but I decided to look at the air filter anyways: it wasn't bad by any means, but I got quite a bit of dirt out, both trapped inside the filter itself and sitting on the dirty side of the airbox.
To clean the filter, tap it gently on a flat surface, dirty side down, to get the big stuff out, then blow it with compressed air from the clean side. When you got no more dirt/dust coming out, you can then blow it freely on both sides.
To clean the airbox, do NOT blow compressed air there, or dirt will go on the clean side of the airbox. Instead, cover the intakes with clean rags as a precaution, then go in with a vacuum to remove any loose dirt, especially around the steering column. Finally, use a damp microfiber rag and clean everything well, being careful not to drag any dirt into the clean side of the box.

In the photo below, I had just cleaned the box with the vacuum, but still had to use the rag... you can still see some dirt marks (caused by water, it seems) on the side and on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	899 Airbox.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	39745  

2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Last edited by 120CCPM; 08-28-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page