Water pump part issue? - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Water pump part issue?

Replacing my water pump this winter and the existing pump has a total of 7 bolts .My replacement pump from ducati AND the 899 online maintenance manual AND the ducati ohmaha parts diagram show it only having 5 bolts. Now on my new pump I have been able to drill the missing 6mm bolt holes as well as the 8mm counter bore as these 2 bolts go over the 2 locating dowels on the engine. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on with the 5 bolt-7 bolt issues?? really weird I have other comments regarding the water pump replacement that I will post in the new year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

took apart the bad pump.Was surprised that the pump seal itself looks like it is made in germany. Before putting back on engine cover you can run the new water pump to get out alot of the air after starting the refilling process. Using a battery drill,going clockwise rotation with a piece of soft tubing that will fit over the end of the water pump(before you install the drive gear) and a bolt (with the head cut off) installed in the other end of the tubing for the drill to go on. Put some oil on the exposed oil seal and run up the pump with the drill and remove alot of the air leaving less work once the engine is started ect.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Before re-installing water pump I took a look at the "cross over passage" across the engine from the water pump leaking seal cavity to the other side of the engine to the exit hole.You can see light all the way across and even poke a wire all the way through.

Anyway,after coming across a secret ducati service document to their technicians basically saying that the water pump is designed to leak and not to replace any parts because its supposed to leak I did the Super Leggera band aid on my bike which is a fitting on the exit weep hole to a hose and then to the ground so the leaking coolant does not stain the engine.While the bike was apart I removed the entire exhaust flapper cables/actuator assembly ect as well as the entire carbon gas fume thing,including right up to the two fittings on the intakes.Removed both of those hose fittings and replaced with copper washer,bolt and red loctite.I re-used one of these M6 thread by barb hose fittings as the fitting to install on the weep hole.Drilled and tapped the exit hole,installed fitting with copper washer and loctite,attached high temp,transparent silicon tubing and ran hose down to a high temp ,transparent plastic bottle installed in the space near where the exhaust flapper motor used to be.
Now,in the future,if there is any coolant leaking out of that hole it will be stored in a container that I can view the amount of lost coolant in.
There is a way when drilling the M5 hole and threading the M6 tap to prevent any cutting fluid and shavings from entering the cross over passage.Just ask me. I`m still hoping someone has an answer on my first question regarding the 5-7 bolt holes on the water pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 01:23 PM

Water pump part issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus7 View Post
Before re-installing water pump I took a look at the "cross over passage" across the engine from the water pump leaking seal cavity to the other side of the engine to the exit hole.You can see light all the way across and even poke a wire all the way through.

Anyway,after coming across a secret ducati service document to their technicians basically saying that the water pump is designed to leak and not to replace any parts because its supposed to leak I did the Super Leggera band aid on my bike which is a fitting on the exit weep hole to a hose and then to the ground so the leaking coolant does not stain the engine.While the bike was apart I removed the entire exhaust flapper cables/actuator assembly ect as well as the entire carbon gas fume thing,including right up to the two fittings on the intakes.Removed both of those hose fittings and replaced with copper washer,bolt and red loctite.I re-used one of these M6 thread by barb hose fittings as the fitting to install on the weep hole.Drilled and tapped the exit hole,installed fitting with copper washer and loctite,attached high temp,transparent silicon tubing and ran hose down to a high temp ,transparent plastic bottle installed in the space near where the exhaust flapper motor used to be.

Now,in the future,if there is any coolant leaking out of that hole it will be stored in a container that I can view the amount of lost coolant in.

There is a way when drilling the M5 hole and threading the M6 tap to prevent any cutting fluid and shavings from entering the cross over passage.Just ask me. I`m still hoping someone has an answer on my first question regarding the 5-7 bolt holes on the water pump.

Since you were there...where is this leak showed on the pics from ? The hoses coming from above - the rad/ engine or that breeder hose? The breeder hose should leak coolant though right ? Thanks in advance for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ugrin; 06-27-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in