Installing new grips....clarification please. - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pete899

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Installing new grips....clarification please.

Ok guys I've tried to do a bit of research and I'm more confused than before I started. I've never put a set of grips on before and reading a lot of different opinions on the topic, so I'd like a bit of guidance if anyone is willing.

Getting the old grips off from what I can tell seems to be a matter of either cutting them off, using compressed air to blow them off or some combination of elbow grease and some other kind of lubricant. That doesn't sound too painful.

Getting the new ones on seems to be a different story.
I've read all kinds of things about using hairspray, grip glue or none grip related adhesive products and some kind of "safety" wire.

I'm wondering if the hairspray option is a "she'll be right mate" kind of an option or if it is legitimate. I don't want to spend all this money on a bike and then come a gutsa for the sake of some $15 grips and a squirt of hairspray.

I would like to know for this specific bike what process should I be using and does it differ depending on application? For example, if I'm only riding street and maybe once in a blue moon might do a track day, would that be a different requirement to say if I was building a dedicated race bike?

While we're on the topic has anyone used the Pro Grip 719 as seen in the link below?
Progrip Ducati Dual Compond Gel Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Garage
I am afraid that I can't answer your specific question(s) as I had the dealer install mine. However, I must caution you with this: I bought the Rizoma sport grips and bar ends for my Monster and had AMS in Dallas install them. They later called to say that they were shorter than the stock, so they would have to cut the bars so that the end weights would be flush against the end of the grips.

I opted not to and it isn't noticeable when riding since my gloves cover it up and you would really have to look closely when it is parked. Either way, you might want to measure any replacement you are considering just in case.

Also, make sure the ends aren't rubbing the grips as it could prevent the throttle from twisting back to idle if you were to suddenly let off the gas or, heaven forbid, get thrown.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools

Last edited by sinjin; 05-24-2014 at 11:30 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM

I have used hairspray on a couple of bikes now with no issues. On my last bike though I did put wire around them, this should help any movement/misalignment in the grip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 AM

Garage
I've only put grip puppies on my grips so I haven't needed to remove the old ones. No hairspray or compressed air was needed to install them either, just strong hands and fingers.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 PM

Well, what always does the trick for me is a water based lubricant. It dries away no residue.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbagracer View Post
I have used hairspray on a couple of bikes now with no issues. On my last bike though I did put wire around them, this should help any movement/misalignment in the grip.
Hairspray for me every time... i don't need to use it for anything else lmao
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete899 View Post
Hairspray for me every time... i don't need to use it for anything else lmao
So is it really just as easy as it sounds, spray on some hairspray and slide the new grip on. Job done?
post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 AM

Garage
Yep that's the strength of it. Liberal spray of hairspray. Pop the grip on fairly smartly and leave it to set.
Mick likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page