More info on charcoal canister - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
More info on charcoal canister

So, my vacation is over and I'm back in the same state as my Duc. True to my word, my first order of business was the removal of my charcoal canister. I did it using the fantastic write up done by AntiHero on the 1199 forums: How To: Charcoal Canister Removal - Ducati 1199 Forum

However, I modified it a little. Anyone who's been under the fairings on a Panigale may have noticed the vent line placement. Unlike most bikes which have two rubber hoses just sort of loosely dangling underneath, the Pani has the hoses for coolant overflow and fuel tank venting going to ports in the lower fairing. Since this is the case, I didn't want to extend the fuel tank vent line, since there's really no place for it to go. I also didn't want it going closer to the exhaust since there is fuel vapors coming out of it. Instead I did this:

I cut the fuel overflow vent line and inserted a T fitting. The line coming in from the left is the fuel vent line that I removed from the canister. Behind those lines you can see the line going towards the engine (the one blocked with the screw). This way I can use the existing routing of the fuel vent line. Probably could have cleaned it up a little better, but there's just air/vapor going through.

Additionally, taking the fairings off the Pani are not as hard as I thought and were MUCH easier than on my CBR. I didn't break anything (unlike on my CBR) taking the side fairing off the first time. About halfway through I started searching for how-to videos of the removal to make sure I was doing it right, and struck out. If I take them off again, I will take some pics and do a step by step how-to. In the meantime, if anyone is really struggling with side fairings, just ask. End result, the bike started right up! If I have any further starting issues, I'll report it ASAP, but I think my problems are over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 PM

Glad to hear the results! Now looking forward to the detailed write-up ! Thanks for your effort man!
post #3 of 84 Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM

I just followed the directions on the 1199 forum and capped off the vacuum line and extended the fuel line down and away from the exhaust. Glad to hear no more starting issues! Cross your fingers! But so far mine has started right up every time! It's funny cause I dropped off my bike for the 600 mile service and there was another 899 with the same exact starting issue!!!!!! Anyways, getting the first service done along with the warranty work for the oil leak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 PM

I still find it interesting that Ducati put charcoal cans in all US spec 899's. I'm pretty sure California is the only place that requires them by law, most of the time companies will only produce charcoal can versions for the Cali market only...
post #5 of 84 Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake shake View Post
I still find it interesting that Ducati put charcoal cans in all US spec 899's. I'm pretty sure California is the only place that requires them by law, most of the time companies will only produce charcoal can versions for the Cali market only...
You got that right! Cali sucks when it comes to traffic laws! Restrictions, regulations, anything with a "tion" at the end! Can't even fart without the smog station knowing!
post #6 of 84 Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM

What does this do?
post #7 of 84 Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin View Post
What does this do?
its like an emissions scrub, chokes up the breathing is more like it
post #8 of 84 Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake shake View Post
So does that mean us guys outside the US do not have them? Does anyone know?
post #9 of 84 Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 PM

Ok, I really need to do this (or something). I've had the hard-starting issues a number of times after riding (even with cool-downs and sitting in the sun, etc.). Has anyone had any issues after removing the charcoal canister? I'd hate for it to be a lost cause.
post #10 of 84 Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleLow7 View Post
Ok, I really need to do this (or something). I've had the hard-starting issues a number of times after riding (even with cool-downs and sitting in the sun, etc.). Has anyone had any issues after removing the charcoal canister? I'd hate for it to be a lost cause.
Have not had a single issue since I did it. Today it sat in the sun in 60 degrees (that's usually when it happens), and fired right up. No problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page