Front Brake Feel - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Front Brake Feel

Hello,

Has anyone on here noticed a complete lack of initial bite/extreme level travel before brake engagement on this bike? i've bled the brakes, switched out the levers and will try diff pads next. Feel it on both road and track and its unsettling. Will a Brembo master cylinder fit with the stock switchgear?

thanks!
teeny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 06-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Sounds like your brakes need to be bled if you have excess travel, it's not uncommon on these bikes. The Brembo master is even better of course, but also doesn't fit with the stock start/stop switch so you have to change to a thin racing switch like this one:

BSD 2 button Start/Stop Switch Panigale | BD-SW-2B-04
Hypnodic01 likes this.
post #3 of 77 Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 PM

Garage
Jarel,

I have to agree with you that one must support their local dealer, but you support all of us with your experience and knowledge and it is much appreciated.

Personally, I have learned a lot from your posts and it has helped me make what I feel was the right decision regarding the purchase of my bike.

Many thanks.
Hypnodic01 likes this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 06-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I had this issue . Lack of or no front brake.
After run in service it was going fine... then after spending a few thousand miles on it I hadn't really realised that I was having to pull the front lever a few times before anything happened - that was until I took out my RC8 - and nearly flew over the front bars using the brake in the same manner.
Called ducati dealer there and then.
They were great and took 899 in to do the service of the brakes ... there was no 'air in the system' there is a 'fix' for the lack of front brake. Get it to your dealer, ducati uk knows theres a fix.
You're not the only one with this issue.
I mean if you bought a car and the brakes didnt work... you would take it back right then to sort... same with a bike.
It will only take them around half an hour to do and wont charge.
post #5 of 77 Old 06-08-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies!
I bled the brakes which did not help.......
can you tell me more about what the dealer did to solve your brake issue, teeny? I had similar problems on the track switching back and forth between the 899 and 675! Some close calls!
Jarel, do you guys sell the brembo master cylinder?

Last edited by motocarlo; 06-08-2014 at 02:48 PM.
post #6 of 77 Old 06-08-2014, 03:01 PM

The stock master is a Brembo is it not? If it is like the one on my 749 it should have a bleed nipple on the top. Have you bled it from there? What I do is take a small clear hose and put it on the nipple and then back into the reservoir. I just pump the brake lever slowly and when the bubbles stop you should be good.

My 899 is still on the boat or at the port or at the warehouse. No one seems to know as the Ducati computer system is a mess.

JIm
post #7 of 77 Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocarlo View Post
Jarel, do you guys sell the brembo master cylinder?
Yes, we have them:
Brembo Radial Master Cylinder | 10.4760.70
post #8 of 77 Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 PM

So has there ever been a breakthrough on the cause of the spongy front brake lever? I test rode the 1299 on Sunday and the difference was night and day. So much bite and amazing feel through the front lever. I've heard the complaint from several 899 owners now- is my only choice to let the dealer sort it out?
post #9 of 77 Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblask View Post
So has there ever been a breakthrough on the cause of the spongy front brake lever? I test rode the 1299 on Sunday and the difference was night and day. So much bite and amazing feel through the front lever. I've heard the complaint from several 899 owners now- is my only choice to let the dealer sort it out?

I didn't like the brakes on the 899 from the beginning. I upgraded the master cylinder, rotors, calipers and eliminated the ABS. Now the brakes have good feel, are very powerful and have great initial bite.

2014 Arctic White Silk 899 Panigale
2015 Ducati Multistrada S
2014 Honda Grom
post #10 of 77 Old 06-29-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr View Post
I didn't like the brakes on the 899 from the beginning. I upgraded the master cylinder, rotors, calipers and eliminated the ABS. Now the brakes have good feel, are very powerful and have great initial bite.

Any idea where the problem was in the stock setup? Would swapping the M50 calipers from the 1199 do the trick? Or do you think the issue lies more in the master cylinder? Don't feel like splurging on upgrading the entire braking system if it can be isolated to a single component.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page