Front Brake Feel - Page 7 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 77 Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM
mtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWolf View Post
I've mentioned this in other threads and so far (its been a couple weeks) its worked for me:

I did a full bleed of the system and while I was at it I used plumbers tape on all the bleeder nipples' threads as recommended by MCN in their long term test report of the 899:

The calipers are clearly sucking air from somewhere, and the culprit is believed to be ill-sealing bleed nipples in the Brembos – a problem suffered by all bikes fitted with these calipers it would seem – so I’m on a crusade to try and find a solution. A reader tells me he’s sorted his by judicious us of PTFE tape around the nipples (the calipers’, not his)

Its still a little spongy, but there's no more increased lever travel on initial pull. I'm pretty sure the sponginess is a result of the extra lines used to connect the system to the ABS unit as some other posters have mentioned in other threads. I won't know this for sure for myself until my warranty runs out by next January (end of my first two years of ownership).
Is this "tape dope" that you find at home depot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 AM

Garage
I need to add my complaint about the 899 front brakes. After several near hits performing panic stops that never should have been an underwear changing event.
I have done most of the 'fixes' I have read, bleed brakes, removed calipers and pushed pistons in and out, I have a MityVac, changed brake fluid (changed clutch system also so the reservoirs look like they have the same type fluid), nothing seems to help. Spending more money on new master or pads or anything else is not a good option. My old Mutistrada 620 single disk stopped better and had better lever feel.
I don't believe my expectations are too high for an expensive motorbike with Brembos. I think this is a safety issue that Ducati needs to address. Just over 1,000 miles.
Now, I have the bike for sale. Very scary to ride.
post #63 of 77 Old 09-21-2016, 04:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeloboomer View Post
Now, I have the bike for sale.
Problem solved
Ge-spot likes this.

899 project - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 77 Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM

Problem will never be solved with OEM gear.
Ive taped nipples and replaced pads. But ive never felt the bike is unsafe. Just have to get use to have the rbakign system is. (as with every bike)

The 1199/1299 still have the lever travel and nipple issue, but Lucky the brake system just works better on the bigger brother.
post #65 of 77 Old 09-21-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeloboomer View Post
I need to add my complaint about the 899 front brakes. After several near hits performing panic stops that never should have been an underwear changing event.
I have done most of the 'fixes' I have read, bleed brakes, removed calipers and pushed pistons in and out, I have a MityVac, changed brake fluid (changed clutch system also so the reservoirs look like they have the same type fluid), nothing seems to help. Spending more money on new master or pads or anything else is not a good option. My old Mutistrada 620 single disk stopped better and had better lever feel.
I don't believe my expectations are too high for an expensive motorbike with Brembos. I think this is a safety issue that Ducati needs to address. Just over 1,000 miles.
Now, I have the bike for sale. Very scary to ride.

What level is your abs on?

Also I find the initial pull being VERY progressive which is great for track/canyon cornering entries. So in the street I do a double tap. I'll pull initially followed by another pull which bites way harder. Works out for me. Give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcouper99 and Mariner like this.
post #66 of 77 Old 10-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Garage
X3
my ABS is set at 2. Ducati Omaha set everything for me when I purchased the bike. As I understand ABS, nothing would happen until the front tire lost traction under hard braking. I have done some of the suggestions. Swap brake fluid, push the caliper pistons in and out several times, used MityVac to bleed system.
it is better... but bike is still FOR SALE. thanks for the input
post #67 of 77 Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 AM

Lever position

Okay I'll admit it I have small hands and had been running my adjustable CRG levers on second position (shortest reach). On the track most of the time it seemed like I wanted to double-pump the lever to make it stiffer, especially coming down the long straight at 150+mph. Moving the lever position to the third position has greatly improved the stiffness and I'm not double pumping anymore.

So, I'm wondering if others are running their adjustable levers too close and something with the geometry of the adjustable lever design adds more travel and less bite/brake force?
post #68 of 77 Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomsl View Post
Okay I'll admit it I have small hands and had been running my adjustable CRG levers on second position (shortest reach). On the track most of the time it seemed like I wanted to double-pump the lever to make it stiffer, especially coming down the long straight at 150+mph. Moving the lever position to the third position has greatly improved the stiffness and I'm not double pumping anymore.

So, I'm wondering if others are running their adjustable levers too close and something with the geometry of the adjustable lever design adds more travel and less bite/brake force?

I wear a medium in dainese D1 Metal gloves. I've got my levers pretty close I think. Spirited riding in the canyons I'll only pull on the brakes with one pull. In the streets when committing ill double tap the brakes for quicker response. Idk just works for my style of riding I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #69 of 77 Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-StyleNZL View Post
Problem will never be solved with OEM gear.
Ive taped nipples and replaced pads. But ive never felt the bike is unsafe. Just have to get use to have the rbakign system is. (as with every bike)

The 1199/1299 still have the lever travel and nipple issue, but Lucky the brake system just works better on the bigger brother.
My biggest issue is that having to pump the lever to get the correct feel totally disrupts the ride flow. I completely bled them last weekend with Motul RBF600 and they are really no better.

I raced an FZR400 from 1990-1996 and it had better brake feel. Even when it was new and had rubber lines the initial feel was better. A $15,000+ motorcycle should not need brake component upgrades for street riding, no matter if they are Brembo or not, and you should not have to pump the brakes. I understand the ABS aspect takes away from the feel, I can live with that, I just do not like the initial lever travel. It' would be a little better if it was the initial stop and then the remained firm for the rest of the ride, but it is every time I use the brakes they have the long lever travel until they are pumped once or twice. This is the most expensive bike I have ever owned, and the most capable bike I have ever owned, far beyond my 51 year old capabilities, but the brakes are a HUGE disappointment. Disappointing to the point it is not fun to ride. You should not have to think about braking, you should just always have the firm lever feel on a bike like this,.

post #70 of 77 Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 PM

Garage
I found this interesting concerning the M4.32 calipers on our "Superbikes" were intended for use on big tourer and road-going enduro bikes. I know it was a cost cutting measure, but just found it interesting.

http://www.brembo.com/en/ComunicatiS...4%2032_Eng.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page