Advice on weird leak, not sure if it is oil (Rhode Island) - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By alvarop
  • 1 Post By able duc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Advice on weird leak, not sure if it is oil (Rhode Island)

Hey guys, today I noticed a weird leak out of my lower left fairing.

Here's an album of the situation

I initially thought it was oil, but the oil gauge window still looks like it's above the max line (pic 3).

I noticed the substance made its way onto 60% of the radiator (pic 4).

I then popped off the lower left fairing and took some pictures of inside (pics 6, 7, 8). I see some of the liquid on what I believe is the engine casing, the liquid is also covering the wires in the area.

So I am looking for advice;

1. Is it definitely oil? Looks to be a little yellow in pic 2. The oil window-gauge being so high makes me think it's something else, but I don't know what else it could be. I did not notice any spots in the garage underneath the bike.

2. Would the radiator need to be replaced? Or anything else covered in liquid?

3. Would it be a bad idea to ride tomorrow?

4. If anyone has any insight as to how this happened, I would very much appreciate it.

Last edited by helishmeli; 08-03-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 12:08 AM

Advice on weird leak, not sure if it is oil (Rhode Island)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helishmeli View Post
Hey guys, today I noticed a weird leak out of my lower left fairing.

Here's an album of the situation

I initially thought it was oil, but the oil gauge window still looks like it's above the max line (pic 3).

I noticed the substance made its way onto 60% of the radiator (pic 4).

I then popped off the lower left fairing and took some pictures of inside (pics 6, 7, 8). I see some of the liquid on what I believe is the engine casing, the liquid is also covering the wires in the area.

So I am looking for advice;

1. Is it definitely oil? Looks to be a little yellow in pic 2. The oil window-gauge being so high makes me think it's something else, but I don't know what else it could be. I did not notice any spots in the garage underneath the bike.

2. Would the radiator need to be replaced? Or anything else covered in liquid?

3. Would it be a bad idea to ride tomorrow?

4. If anyone has any insight as to how this happened, I would very much appreciate it.

I had a similar leak , Mine was the valve cover gaskets needed to be replaced , itís a fairly easy job and I did mine myself.

Vertical head is not bad to change . The horizontal head youíll need to remove Rad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 06:22 AM

Garage
I wouldn't run that much oil in mine it's above the full mark. Was that image showing the site glass when the engine was hot or cold? It doesn't take much oil to make a big mess so just because the level hasn't gone down doesn't mean it's not leaking.

Pull the fairings off drop some oil out so it's just above the low level mark and clean the bike of all that oil. Then have a close look where it's coming from what alvarop said it might be a valve cover gasket,

899 project - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarop View Post
I had a similar leak , Mine was the valve cover gaskets needed to be replaced , itís a fairly easy job and I did mine myself.

Vertical head is not bad to change . The horizontal head youíll need to remove Rad .

Where'd you buy the valve cover gaskets?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by able duc View Post
I wouldn't run that much oil in mine it's above the full mark. Was that image showing the site glass when the engine was hot or cold? It doesn't take much oil to make a big mess so just because the level hasn't gone down doesn't mean it's not leaking.

Pull the fairings off drop some oil out so it's just above the low level mark and clean the bike of all that oil. Then have a close look where it's coming from what alvarop said it might be a valve cover gasket,
I'm sorry can you clarify your first sentence; is your fill line above the max fill or under?

In that image of the oil window the engine was cold. I like the idea of draining some oil and then seeing if it still leaks. What's the easiest way to drain a bit of oil? I am concerned if I let the drain plug loose the oil will just dump out with so much force that I won't be able to get the plug on until it stops flowing.

Shop manual states to run engine before draining oil, you think this is necessary?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 AM

I purchased mine on eBay , about 25.00 each I think .

Youíll need the part number

899 1199 part # , 78811102C

helishmeli likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 08:05 PM

Garage
If it was me that had your problem I would remove the side and bottom fairings dump all the oil and remove the filter and install a fresh one, then degrease the bike completely including the radiators and anything else that has oil over it. When it's spotless fill it with oil again so the level is between the 2 marks on the site window!

Now it's time to have a good look around it when it's running you may even be able to ride it up the street just to get the thing up to temp, putting it under load and changing through the gears. Take you time and have a good look round for oil, remember it's really clean now so you will see fresh oil if any.

It's probably a front valve cover gasket which alvarop suggested it's fiddly but surprisingly easy for the home mechanic, just buy some gaskets from Ducati (which is what I do) and sealant from the web.

fairing removal ......
oil and filter .....
helishmeli likes this.

899 project - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-06-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarop View Post
I purchased mine on eBay , about 25.00 each I think .

Youíll need the part number

899 1199 part # , 78811102C

That part number appears to just be the external, did you also need the internal as well? (pic attached for reference)

Also, removing the radiator would involve draining coolant, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VCG.png
Views:	15
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	39741  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-06-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by able duc View Post
If it was me that had your problem I would remove the side and bottom fairings dump all the oil and remove the filter and install a fresh one, then degrease the bike completely including the radiators and anything else that has oil over it. When it's spotless fill it with oil again so the level is between the 2 marks on the site window!

Now it's time to have a good look around it when it's running you may even be able to ride it up the street just to get the thing up to temp, putting it under load and changing through the gears. Take you time and have a good look round for oil, remember it's really clean now so you will see fresh oil if any.

It's probably a front valve cover gasket which alvarop suggested it's fiddly but surprisingly easy for the home mechanic, just buy some gaskets from Ducati (which is what I do) and sealant from the web.

fairing removal ...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkCIJfSIU4A
oil and filter ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFgBDYRW59w
Thank you for the vid, especially the second one.

Sounds like a solid plan, except removing the radiator sounds terrifying; not sure if I would be able to put it back without having a coolant leak.

Which sealant you like?
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 07:42 AM

You only need the external gasket.

It is more than likely that valve cover gasket. However! I did have a headgasket leak on mine, and it was replaced under warranty around 50k miles (not an easy or cheap job). It's very hard to tell where the oil is coming from because like everyone said, it's a mess when the wind blows it around at speed.

Draining the coolant and removing the radiators is probably my least favorite thing to do on this bike. Mine is currently apart for the 15k valve service and it took me 2.5 hours to get it all apart, and I think 2 hours of that was the radiator removal, lol. I can try and detail the procedure, but if I were you I would just spray some cleaner on the lower radiator and use a semi-soft brush (a toothbrush would be good) to work it in, and rinse it.

Radiator removal: if you just remove the lower it will be much easier. The top one is a PITA.
-Remove both side fairings
-Remove fan shroud assembly bolts (the bottom one at the front is very hard to get to--might need to cut an allen key to be shorter)
-Take fan off of radiator (pull backwards)
-Drain lower radiator using plug on left side (you can drain all you want but be warned-there WILL be coolant spillage AFTER you drain it, because there is still coolant in the bottom below the plug)--I like to stick a paper towel in the hanging hoses to catch any coolant drips
-Disconnect hose clamps and pull hoses off radiator

I'm pretty sure there's enough room to pull the radiator down/out at this point without removing the front shroud (big black plastic piece). Removing the top radiator is a bigger ordeal, because all of that needs to come out.

Just removing the lower should be straight-forward.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in