Whats it like to own the 899 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking Whats it like to own the 899

Hi All,

So I've always loved Ducatis but the reliability and running cost in the past has put me off. So I was wondering what is it like to run/own one now. I'm looking at an 2014/2015 899 model with about 5000 miles on it.

I am particularly interested in the running costs/servicing etc and issues with the 899.

Any advice experiences greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM

watch out for those coolant leaks-especially the coolant pump that Ducatis own tech literature says is "designed to leak".

be aware of the soft front brake issues.

Lots of info on the internet on both and how successful or unsuccessful the fixes are.I have had 5 japanese sport bikes prior to the 899 and never had the issues that I have now with the 899.Im managing with it,for now.

Valve clearance checking/adjusting is a little expensive but understandable.that doesnt bother me.You can save up knowing its in the future.
post #3 of 43 Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM

I’ve had mine since 2014 and I’ve put jut over 13,000 miles on it.

Other than standard maintenance, the only time my bike has gone into the shop was for a the charcoal canister hot start issue which was common on earlier bikes and later fixed, rear wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Not sure if that is better or worse than Japanese equivalent bikes... but I’m happy with it.

I still find every excuse I can to ride and have no desire for another bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 PM

It's amazing, I'm on 30K miles and have had no issues that the bike can be blamed for (I had a small electrical problem but this was tracked down to the accessory wiring that had been done).

Totally reliable, 15K services are expensive, but nothing looks/sounds/rides like it. I've had mine serviced on the button by the dealer, and have enjoyed every mile.

If you can, get a quick demo., it doesn't take long to realise what a great bike it is. It still amuses me how much attention the bike gets.

RBW.
post #5 of 43 Old 04-11-2019, 11:56 AM

^^^^^ yes!

Two things...
1) I agree on the attention comment. 5 years later my bike still gets many people walking around it and wanting to talk to me about it.

2) demo for sure. Likely it will just solidify your choice even more so but still worth doing.
post #6 of 43 Old 04-11-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the responses, I think a test ride is the best way forward.
post #7 of 43 Old 04-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
Take it from a noob that purchased a 2015 Panigale 899 1.5mo ago. The bike was in really good condition and had 7,400mi on it. I took it for a test ride the first time and it felt way too aggressive. It definitely has power, so I was feeling a little shook. Came back and my wife told me, “Actually go and test ride it. Spend 15min on it and just get a feel for it.” So, I did and my mind changed instantly. I got more comfortable with the ride position and I was able to get comfortable with the throttle.

Fast fwd to now. I upgraded the OEM clutch master cylinder to an Oberon. Stock clutch lever felt way too hard to hold onto on streets. And this aftermarket one has made it effortless. That was $125.

I had to do the 7,500 Desmo service. I contacted 2 local Ducati authorized service spots. The closest one charged me about $1k and didn’t really mention what would be done. Then, the 2nd one I happened to stumble upon. Longs story short, it was recommended and came to find out he shop had been in business for years. Almost a 5 star rating on yelp. Mechanic charged me $180 for the service and told me what was entailed. And even installed the aftermarket master cylinder as part of the service.

I commute 45mi one way to work and have taken the bike more frequently. Getting the proper gear is key to a more comfortable ride. And I have to agree with others, there have been no other repairs needed. I even asked about prior history of repairs and there was none, only service/maintenance done.

I still have far to go, but I’ve put on 1k miles on it already. It’s been a great bike this far

Cons:
1. Seems like a common issue but when you put Neutral, it doesn’t always show as such. It’ll say 1st gear.
2. I haven’t researched this, but bike will turn off after a minute if it’s in idle. Not sure if this is intentional, or not. Mechanic said he didn’t find any issue. So not sure if other owners can chime in on this.
3. Seat could be more comfy. Someone said front brake can be squishy, but I’ve experienced the opposite. It brakes hard, so you gotta be gentle. Anyways, when you have to break hard at a high speed, your nuts kind of fly into the tank and that **** hurts. Lol you can’t just pull over on the freeway and yell “OWWWW!!!!” while you grab em

Take the test ride. You more than likely will be cursed to WANT the bike.
post #8 of 43 Old 04-11-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
Here's my .02 -

My bike is a "race only" machine and it's been such since new in 2014. It was one of the earliest 899's in the country and was converted to race use from, literally, the first moment I owned it.

Racing is the hardest thing on any motorcycle (other than flat out abuse), but despite that and going into my 6th season racing it my bike has been nearly flawless.

Some of the early conversion choices eliminated some of the common issues above. - Charcoal canister was deleted as a part of the race conversion, so hot start has never been a problem and we deleted the ABS function as part of the race conversion and just used standard lines from master cylinders to calipers, so soft brakes was also eliminated.

The one problem I've had (user error) is that I binged a wheel speed sensor during a tire change once, and that caused havoc with the traction control. It took me a bit to find it and once I did we discovered that the sensor was sporadically telling the bike that the front wheel was going 2000 miles per hour.

Something to get used to is that this is a digital motorcycle - it requires sensors and things like that for it to work. The throttle is throttle by wire, there isn't a throttle cable. All that said, it still feels and rides like a motorcycle, they have the "feeling" of the electronics right and the bike doesn't feel like a video game.

I'd buy another one without hesitation, it's the best motorcycle I've ever owned.
Warhammer likes this.
post #9 of 43 Old 04-11-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arexniba View Post

2. I haven’t researched this, but bike will turn off after a minute if it’s in idle. Not sure if this is intentional, or not. Mechanic said he didn’t find any issue. So not sure if other owners can chime in on this.
3. Seat could be more comfy. Someone said front brake can be squishy, but I’ve experienced the opposite. It brakes hard, so you gotta be gentle. Anyways, when you have to break hard at a high speed, your nuts kind of fly into the tank and that **** hurts. Lol you can’t just pull over on the freeway and yell “OWWWW!!!!” while you grab em

Take the test ride. You more than likely will be cursed to WANT the bike.
When you say idle, do you mean engine running idle or just ignition on ? Either way I don’t think it’s normal to have the bike shut off. As for the seat, I finally went to the dealer and got the DP comfort seat. Love it! Huge difference in seat grip + small/moderate difference in overall cushiness.
post #10 of 43 Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 PM

I purchased my 899 used in 2016 with 2,400 ish miles on it, it now reads some 8,500+ miles. @Rybo had some influence in the purchase.

It has always started on the first try. I've ridden it in 10-12 track days. Maintenance has been just changing the brake/clutch fluid, oil and tires. I still have the original brake pads on it, which are now worn and need replacing.

Shortly after purchasing the bike I had it re-sprung for my weight and fork and shock upgraded with the Race Tech gold valves.

Later I added a slipper clutch after scaring myself a few time with poorly executed down-shifts on the track.

I also had a bit of squishy brake lever feel, but taking the calipers off and cleaning the pistons so they return and extend properly solved that issue.

I currently have a small leak at my rear head cover gasket which I'll be replacing before the riding season.

It always brings a smile to my face each time I ride it.

rybo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page