Whats it like to own the 899 - Page 3 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2019, 06:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg24 View Post
When you say idle, do you mean engine running idle or just ignition on ? Either way I donít think itís normal to have the bike shut off. As for the seat, I finally went to the dealer and got the DP comfort seat. Love it! Huge difference in seat grip + small/moderate difference in overall cushiness.

Okay, so there is something that has been explained to me that seems to be a general and common issue. The dash seems to get confused when the gear is in Neutral (N), it will remain at 1st gear. Some have said they can get it back to N by turning the bike off, then on again. Others say they just move their bike back and forth at a stop. For me, it just seems to randomly show the correct gear when it wants to.

Now, my point is that I have noticed something and re-tested my theory and found it to be factual. Ducati's will shut off when the kickstand is down and the gear is on anything but N. To test this, have the bike parked and motor off, but only the dash on. Then, switch the gear to anything but N. Now, when you press the start button you'll notice it won't start. Now, if you did all of this, but had the gear on N, then the bike will start when you press the push start button.

What this says is that when I am warming up the bike, and it randomly shuts off, that's because the computer thinks I've just switched the gear to 1. I was going crazy trying to figure this out, but noticed the dash kept changing the gear from 1 to N, and back and forth. All of this while the motor was shut off. So, not a big deal, but definitely something to note so you don't get scared when this happens.

Got the DP comfort seat from a member off this site too, and it's amazing! My ass and family jewels feel comfy on my commute to work (50mi one way).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arexniba View Post
Okay, so there is something that has been explained to me that seems to be a general and common issue. The dash seems to get confused when the gear is in Neutral (N), it will remain at 1st gear. Some have said they can get it back to N by turning the bike off, then on again. Others say they just move their bike back and forth at a stop. For me, it just seems to randomly show the correct gear when it wants to.

Now, my point is that I have noticed something and re-tested my theory and found it to be factual. Ducati's will shut off when the kickstand is down and the gear is on anything but N. To test this, have the bike parked and motor off, but only the dash on. Then, switch the gear to anything but N. Now, when you press the start button you'll notice it won't start. Now, if you did all of this, but had the gear on N, then the bike will start when you press the push start button.

What this says is that when I am warming up the bike, and it randomly shuts off, that's because the computer thinks I've just switched the gear to 1. I was going crazy trying to figure this out, but noticed the dash kept changing the gear from 1 to N, and back and forth. All of this while the motor was shut off. So, not a big deal, but definitely something to note so you don't get scared when this happens
Itís probably the gear position sensor going bad. I had the same issue, replaced the gear position sensor and all fixed. Pretty common issue with the current generation of Ducatis.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:51 AM

Zero issues with mine (2014), I bought it a year and a half ago with 6,000 KM on the clock, it was a dedicated track bike. I was expecting a lot of issues because it had been raced since day one, luckily, I didn't have any problems so far.

I do agree with one of the posters, the clutch is really hard; I'm going to look into the Oberon clutch cylinder myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Fast fwd to now. I upgraded the OEM clutch master cylinder to an Oberon. Stock clutch lever felt way too hard to hold onto on streets. And this aftermarket one has made it effortless. That was $125.
you mean slave? this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oberon-Duca...-/202038061142
Old 04-25-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilusv View Post

Yup, just take the "master" out and replace it with slave.

I still get car parts mixed up with moto parts. It's my 1st bike...lol
Old 04-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yup, just take the "master" out and replace it with slave.

I still get car parts mixed up with moto parts. It's my 1st bike...lol

No worries, Thank you. I will get that installed during my next service and report back.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you

So I finally test rode the 899 on Saturday and I loved it sooo much that I bought one the next day.

I managed to find a White one, 2015 with only 450 miles on it.. the previous owner had it in his lounge and was a new rider, he went straight from passing his bike test to this. His first ride scared the crap out of him and he didn't really ride it much after that.

I don't know why I kept thinking it didn't fit, it's fine and It's going in on Friday for a service and suspension set up.

Thanks to everyone who helped me 'actually ride' the thing and I'm soooooo excited and keep going into the garage to look at it.

Happy Riding
rybo likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Hey, congratulations! Post some pics to share the joy!!
Old 05-08-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Will do
Old 05-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Garage
Congrats! And ride safe.

FYI: Some things to get for the 899 to make it a better ride:
1. Upgrade to a clutch slave cylinder

2. Ducati Performance comfort seat
3. Textile & leather jackets
4. Comfortable gloves

5. Backpack, get a hard shell to avoid wind drag

Some things I've heard other Ducati owners get to make the ride enjoyable is getting gel handles. I'm still looking into this, but I've learned to not grip the handles as hard anymore or be too stiff. Again, the new clutch slave cylinder has made it more comfortable, so my arms are always loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in