Whats it like to own the 899 - Page 2 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 04-12-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Love the video....I'm not a racer and have never been on a track, this is purely for fun and a toy. I currently have a Kawasaki Ninja 650 2018 but it doesn't excite me and that's why I thought ' only live once' and maybe this is the right time to finally get my dream bike.

Thanks for all the input, especially about the changes you have made...the suspension seems one of the main things to get done to suit your weight etc.
rybo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Fun View Post
Love the video....I'm not a racer and have never been on a track, this is purely for fun and a toy.
IMO a track day is not about going out and riding at your limit, it's about going out in a safe environment and practicing your skills. On a typical track day I might do 70 laps, that's 70 passes through each turn to practice trail braking to the apex and picking up the throttle, tip in and looking through the turn. We have an excellent class here in Utah called Advanced Rider Training (ART) ... even my wife on her Monster 696 has completed it twice.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 AM

I just bought my second 899, I totalled my first one at almost 83,000 miles.

Only issues I had: if you replace the valve cover gaskets at the 15k service, they won't leak. Don't try to re-use them.

I had the front headgasket start leaking around 50k. Random ABS unit failure, don't recall mileage but it was up there.

Really, I only had the valves ADJUSTED around the 60k mark, and they were still in spec, just getting close to being out. I always had the valves checked every 15k.

I think they are fantastic bikes. Mine saw every season and weather condition imaginable, even heavy mud, salt, and snow!
Mountain Fun likes this.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 04-12-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Completely agree, I suppose for me I'm a little worried I'm might crash my bike

So being a female I'm 5'5 in height and I'm curious now seeing the seat height being 830mm, my kawasaki is 810mm and its perfect. Could I lower the suspension on the 899? I have sat on one but my feet weren't on the ground enough for me to feel confident.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Fun View Post
Completely agree, I suppose for me I'm a little worried I'm might crash my bike

So being a female I'm 5'5 in height and I'm curious now seeing the seat height being 830mm, my kawasaki is 810mm and its perfect. Could I lower the suspension on the 899? I have sat on one but my feet weren't on the ground enough for me to feel confident.
There are adjustable shock rods available, check out the brand Sato Racing. From one girl to another--I know the feeling, I had to lower my other bike (690 enduro) over 2" to be comfortable on it. My 899 is perfect height for me, though! Good luck!

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #16 of 18 Old 04-17-2019, 04:08 PM

post #17 of 18 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

A lot has been said already, so I'll just add a couple of things that I noticed in other comment.

There was a mention of gear indicator showing "1" when it's in neutral - that's a bad gear position sensor, it's going. It looks like a fairly common issue, I replaced mine a bit ago.

The valve clearance check/adjustment is at every 15k miles, which costs between $1500 and $2000 typically at a dealer. You can do it yourself, of course, it's not that difficult, it's just a lot involved. Other regular maintenance is at every 7500 miles, the oil change and that bit, costs about $500 at a dealer.

OEM tires don't last all that long, I go through every 4-5000 miles. I recently got kind of fed up with Pirelli and went with Michelin, and far happier with it on the road.

Other fairly common issues - hot starting (just remove the EVAP canister), exhaust flapper servo motor (if you ride in rain, the cable will eventually seize, just remove the motor and cable), weeping oil from head gasket, the stock seat is a total rubbish if you want to put (a few) miles on, but there are aftermarket stuff available.

General reliability? It's good. 899 is my first Ducati, and I was really hesitant, but the bike has been rock solid. Is it as good as Japanese counterpart? I don't quite think so in the long run, like 30 years, but it's as good so far. The service is expensive, but you can save a bit by doing majority of it yourself, you know, like simple things like oil/fluid change.

And if it makes you feel more confident, there is a member here who had 899 with something crazy like 75k miles on it before it got totaled.
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm completely sold on the Panigale, I have ridden the supersport s which was very good, but can't get the 899 out of my head and I'm still trying to find one to test ride which is proving very difficult as it's mostly private owners, very frustrating.

Thanks again for all the input...here's to finding one I can ride and soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page