Oil leak - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Oil leak

Saw this leak a couple of days ago. Upon taking the farings apart I realized its an oil leak.

A couple months ago I tried to install the lower radiator guard provided to me by the previous owner. Little did I know, those two bolts mounted on the plastic shield between two radiators are also the cam cover bolts.

Obviously, they both stripped because they are thread locked beyond belief. I was able to tap one out but not the other one. I put a new one but the other side was still loose.

Now I have this oil leak. So the question is if I am able to somehow get the other bolt out, can I simply replace them and it will stop leaking OR do I need to replace the head gasket?

Apparently, a lot of people have this issue when they try to install the lower radiator guard and the instructions don't mention any torque specs or specify that these are VERY important bolts. From the looks of the bolts, it just looks like its holding the plastic piece in place.

Considering taking it to a dealership but wouldn't mind fixing this myself if it's doable.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180612_205620.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	38991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180612_204756.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	38993  
Alchemistioan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario , Canada
Posts: 134
I have the same issue , mine was coming from worn out value cover gaskets not the head gasket.

I was so disappointed when I saw my leak , I only have 13000km on my bike too , how does a bike of this quality have leaks ? Crazy




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alvarop is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarop View Post
I have the same issue , mine was coming from worn out value cover gaskets not the head gasket.

I was so disappointed when I saw my leak , I only have 13000km on my bike too , how does a bike of this quality have leaks ? Crazy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully, I can get the studs tightened up and it will solve my issue.

I share the same sentiment - brakes have been mushy since day one. Bled them multiple times and have to keep a lever lock on it. Front forks started leaking but luckily was able to fix it without taking them apart. The front tire is rubbing against the plastic piece between the two radiators. Paint is okay at best. And now this leak, granted, is my fault to an extent.

The bike has 5k miles! The reliability is seriously questionable. I have owned multiple bikes in the past and put 1000s of miles on them but such unreliability is certainly a first. They're beautiful, fun to ride but I don't really trust it.

For the amount of money these bikes go for, it's really sad. I thought my 2016 KTM 1290 Superduke Special edition was going to be unreliable but that bike has been chugging along and has over 9k miles, 3 track days. Just oil changes. And I ride that motorcycle, hard.

Oh well. I wanted to experience owning a Ducati but this has been not a pleasant experience so far. I know the purists might not agree with me but these are facts and I have a lot of experience owning motorcycles.

Fingers crossed! I will update this post once I have put some more time into it.

Last edited by Alchemistioan; 06-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Alchemistioan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario , Canada
Posts: 134
Hi. Base on those pictures you posted , looks like you valve cover gasket failed . Same as what happened to me .

Itís not that hard to fix more of a pain , gasket is about 25.00




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alvarop is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
XCLR8TN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NE OH
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemistioan View Post
Hopefully, I can get the studs tightened up and it will solve my issue.

I share the same sentiment - brakes have been mushy since day one. Bled them multiple times and have to keep a lever lock on it. Front forks started leaking but luckily was able to fix it without taking them apart. The front tire is rubbing against the plastic piece between the two radiators. Paint is okay at best. And now this leak, granted, is my fault to an extent.

The bike has 5k miles! The reliability is seriously questionable. I have owned multiple bikes in the past and put 1000s of miles on them but such unreliability is certainly a first. They're beautiful, fun to ride but I don't really trust it.

For the amount of money these bikes go for, it's really sad. I thought my 2016 KTM 1290 Superduke Special edition was going to be unreliable but that bike has been chugging along and has over 9k miles, 3 track days. Just oil changes. And I ride that motorcycle, hard.

Oh well. I wanted to experience owning a Ducati but this has been not a pleasant experience so far. I know the purists might not agree with me but these are facts and I have a lot of experience owning motorcycles.

Fingers crossed! I will update this post once I have put some more time into it.
Oil leak - if it's from installing the radiator guard, that's not Ducati's fault.

Brakes - define 'mushy'. The first pull feels so-so? If you pull it again it hardens up a bit, I just assume that's because of the ABS BS it has to go through.

My front forks only leaked after trying to ride wheelies. They did over 50,000 miles through rain, salt, snow, and MUD and never had a problem.

Front tire - some people have this issue, others don't. I don't understand that bit.

Paint - what's wrong with it? Mine has only gotten sandblasted on the lower fairing right behind the rear wheel. I have actually (accidentally) scratched mine while washing it and you can't even see it due to the paint being satin. That's A+ in my book vs scratching gloss.

As far as reliability, I just turned over 75,000 miles on my 899 last night. The only "problems" I ever had were the front headgasket wept a little bit and was replaced under warranty around 50k miles, it didn't leak enough to make the oil level go down. If you don't replace the valve cover gaskets when you have your 15k services done, they will leak. They just get hard and don't seal well after. There was also an update that went out to the dealers about sealing these a different way than they were in the factory. I've never had one leak after it was replaced.

Other than that, I had the ABS pump fail and it also was replaced under warranty. That only affected the rear brake. The front was used for tens of thousands of miles until I realized what was wrong and it was fixed.

So reliability, for me, owning an Italian bike...... is outstanding.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
XCLR8TN is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCLR8TN View Post
Oil leak - if it's from installing the radiator guard, that's not Ducati's fault.

Brakes - define 'mushy'. The first pull feels so-so? If you pull it again it hardens up a bit, I just assume that's because of the ABS BS it has to go through.

My front forks only leaked after trying to ride wheelies. They did over 50,000 miles through rain, salt, snow, and MUD and never had a problem.

Front tire - some people have this issue, others don't. I don't understand that bit.

Paint - what's wrong with it? Mine has only gotten sandblasted on the lower fairing right behind the rear wheel. I have actually (accidentally) scratched mine while washing it and you can't even see it due to the paint being satin. That's A+ in my book vs scratching gloss.

As far as reliability, I just turned over 75,000 miles on my 899 last night. The only "problems" I ever had were the front headgasket wept a little bit and was replaced under warranty around 50k miles, it didn't leak enough to make the oil level go down. If you don't replace the valve cover gaskets when you have your 15k services done, they will leak. They just get hard and don't seal well after. There was also an update that went out to the dealers about sealing these a different way than they were in the factory. I've never had one leak after it was replaced.

Other than that, I had the ABS pump fail and it also was replaced under warranty. That only affected the rear brake. The front was used for tens of thousands of miles until I realized what was wrong and it was fixed.

So reliability, for me, owning an Italian bike...... is outstanding.
Glad you are having an amazing experience owning an Italian bike!

As aforementioned, never said that the oil leak because of radiator guard installation is Ducati's fault. This was 100% my doing which has been fixed now.

Leaky forks? Give it a benefit of doubt as well. BTW, I have owned motorcycles and have put over 20k miles on the forks before even seeing a drop of the oil leak.

Mushy brakes - unacceptable. This isn't my first bike with ABS. ABS or no ABS - no bike should require the brakes to be pumped twice to get acceptable braking. Especially Brembo brakes. My KTM has Brembo brakes with ABS and doesn't have such issues. Also, this is not a new issue. Upon further research, I found that the brake issue has been present in so many Ducati bikes. 848, 1199, 1299. Just look it up and you'll see plenty of threads.

Front tire rubbing - that's just a design flaw. No other way to put it.

I can't really explain the paint situation without taking multiple photos. It's not the best. Very easily scratched. Nothing to lose sleep over but again, this is an expensive bike.

I also found a very minor weeping from the back cylinder (under the rider's seat). That's probably the head gasket as you mentioned. Nothing crazy but again, 5k miles.

I am sure plenty of people are have amazing experience owning the 899 and will continue having it. But there are also plenty of people with all these issues. Genuinely happy to hear that you are chugging away but not the same for me and many others.
Alchemistioan is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
XCLR8TN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NE OH
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemistioan View Post
I am sure plenty of people are have amazing experience owning the 899 and will continue having it. But there are also plenty of people with all these issues. Genuinely happy to hear that you are chugging away but not the same for me and many others.
Right, but the things you hear mostly (on forums like this) are all the problems people have. Not many people show up to post about how great their bike is. There are probably plenty of us out there.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
XCLR8TN is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Right. Exactly my point. People do come to forums when they have problems.

Especially big problems creeping up at such low miles. Also, most of these bikes barely see high mileage or are simply taken to the dealership for all services. No need for them to seek advice on forums.

I've read your threads and you have or had the extended warranty. In my case, I don't. Imagine dropping 10,000+ USD on a bike with 4k miles. Within the first 1k miles you already start having major issues. The head gasket might just end up costing well over a grand in labor. That's just bad.

Again, not saying there are not stellar examples out there but there are also plenty of bad apples as well. And those are the ones who seek advice.



Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Alchemistioan is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
XCLR8TN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NE OH
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemistioan View Post
Right. Exactly my point. People do come to forums when they have problems.

Especially big problems creeping up at such low miles. Also, most of these bikes barely see high mileage or are simply taken to the dealership for all services. No need for them to seek advice on forums.

I've read your threads and you have or had the extended warranty. In my case, I don't. Imagine dropping 10,000+ USD on a bike with 4k miles. Within the first 1k miles you already start having major issues. The head gasket might just end up costing well over a grand in labor. That's just bad.

Again, not saying there are not stellar examples out there but there are also plenty of bad apples as well. And those are the ones who seek advice.
The extended warranty covered the ABS thing, but the headgasket was still within the first 2 years of ownership and under the factory warranty. I figured if I put enough miles on quick enough, I'd work out the bugs lol.

I guarantee the headgasket will be over a grand, they drop the motor to do it (at least they did when my front cylinder leaked--the rear may be doable by removing the subframe). The main problem I see with these bikes is that a lot of work can be done at home if you are capable, but there's always some things (usually involved the motor or suspension) that require special tools, and that's the bitch of it.

I try and give advice when I can, because I may have a little more insight into how long a part will last or if I've had something weird happen that also has happened to someone else.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
XCLR8TN is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-08-2018, 03:37 AM
Junior Member
 
noelbuela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
I have an exact leak and didn't realized it was from those bolt until I read your post...

So did the tightening the bolt fixed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemistioan View Post

Glad you are having an amazing experience owning an Italian bike!

As aforementioned, never said that the oil leak because of radiator guard installation is Ducati's fault. This was 100% my doing which has been fixed now.
.
noelbuela is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
899 Oil Leak Issue Oni Ducati 899 Troubleshooting 99 05-19-2017 09:27 AM
Oil leak issue "found"...not warranty covered, looking for help Littleozzie Ducati 899 Maintenance 73 05-15-2015 07:33 PM
Engine case oil leak Hyperider 899 Panigale General Discussion 11 06-05-2014 06:29 PM
Dammit! Crankcase oil leak, less than 1,000 miles 92GTA 899 Panigale General Discussion 55 06-02-2014 04:46 PM
Oil leak 899pete 899 Panigale General Discussion 1 03-31-2014 06:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome