Oil leak - Page 2 - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 08-04-2019, 01:19 AM

Garage
Alchemistioan, did you end up having to replace the lower radiator? I recently noticed mine has an oil stain too (i don't have radiator guards though). I'm curious if the radiator is no good now, as well as everything else covered in oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 08-04-2019, 07:31 AM

Garage
Tightening valve covers won't fix a leak, bite the bullet and replace the valve cover gaskets. If you bike is close to having a valve check who ever does it will replace them if it's not close do a bit of research and have a go yourself, you can do it over a weekend if your handy.

899 project - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-06-2019, 09:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by able duc View Post
Tightening valve covers won't fix a leak, bite the bullet and replace the valve cover gaskets. If you bike is close to having a valve check who ever does it will replace them if it's not close do a bit of research and have a go yourself, you can do it over a weekend if your handy.
Is it true the radiator needs to come out to replace the valve cover on the horizontal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 08-07-2019, 06:32 AM

Garage
It's easier than you think some have done it by loosening the radiator, I pull it out it ends up being easier with plenty of room and no non sense.
helishmeli likes this.

899 project - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helishmeli View Post
Alchemistioan, did you end up having to replace the lower radiator? I recently noticed mine has an oil stain too (i don't have radiator guards though). I'm curious if the radiator is no good now, as well as everything else covered in oil.
You can use air conditioner coil cleaner, it's sold at Home Depot near the window air conditioners and replacement parts. Aerosol can with a scrubber top - do not use the scrubber top on the radiator. Wet everything including the body first, then dowse it with the cleaner foam and let it expand and work for a few minutes. Work it in with a soft brush, then liberally hose it down and try to make sure you spray head on so the water goes straight through the fins. You may need to repeat once or twice but I had good luck with this method cleaning my radiator that had some sections completely clogged with grime.
helishmeli likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 12:28 PM

I have been working on a leaking horizontal valve cover over the past couple weeks as I've had time. (I really only have a couple hours a day if I can get to it after work and our son is in bed.) One thing I found was that the bottom of the valve cover isn't flat - there are feet/tabs around the bolt holes that make the cover stand up off the head, but also make the compression of the gasket restricted to a fixed point when they bottom out.

I took the valve cover and machined these feet/tabs down a little less than 1mm and checked them on a granite countertop to be sure they were flat. I then reinstalled the cover with a new gasket, using sealant on the factory recommended areas at the corners of the semi-circles as well as a 1mm bead of sealant on the lower half of the gasket where it meets the head surface. I let the gasket maker sit for an hour at finger tightness on the bolts before working up to torque spec in three progressive stages. I noticed the gasket did get a bit better "squish" on the gasket once everything was torqued down.

I'm at the point now where coolant is back in the bike and tonight I will reinstall the front wheel and some other ancillary bits that had to come off to get to everything, then tomorrow during the day take it outside to run it up to temperature and check the coolant levels again. After that, it's updating the computer with TuneBoy cruise and tune along with their quickshifter/auto-blipper. Monday night I leave for Florida for a couple track days later in the week so we will see how it holds up.

Also, I used the coil cleaner and a soft plastic bristle brush again on the lower radiator to clean it up and it worked well. It was nice to be able to get the whole radiator and shroud assembly away from the bike for a good cleaning on both sides and all around. It was also super easy to install the R&G radiator guards I've been sitting on since July as compared to trying (and failing) to do it when everything was on the bike.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 04:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1050 View Post

I'm at the point now where coolant is back in the bike and tonight I will reinstall the front wheel and some other ancillary bits that had to come off to get to everything, then tomorrow during the day take it outside to run it up to temperature and check the coolant levels again. After that, it's updating the computer with TuneBoy cruise and tune along with their quickshifter/auto-blipper. Monday night I leave for Florida for a couple track days later in the week so we will see how it holds up.

Also, I used the coil cleaner and a soft plastic bristle brush again on the lower radiator to clean it up and it worked well. It was nice to be able to get the whole radiator and shroud assembly away from the bike for a good cleaning on both sides and all around. It was also super easy to install the R&G radiator guards I've been sitting on since July as compared to trying (and failing) to do it when everything was on the bike.

Do you need to do a TuneBoy thing every time you do this work? I usually go to the dealership but I have been wondering how people do maintenance at home; doesn't the computer need to be updated with every maintenance performed?

Also, you're in Swansea but going to Florida with the bike?
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helishmeli View Post
Do you need to do a TuneBoy thing every time you do this work? I usually go to the dealership but I have been wondering how people do maintenance at home; doesn't the computer need to be updated with every maintenance performed?

Also, you're in Swansea but going to Florida with the bike?
No, I just hadn't yet installed the TuneBoy products so it really has nothing to do with this issue.

Yes, Swansea to Florida for two days private track event at Jennings GP. It was a blast! Went through a front tire and a little more than two rears in the two days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page