Engine transplant - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2017, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Engine transplant

High everyone have a tech question I have had a chance to buy a 959 (crashed body damage)wanted to know if its possible to fit motor to 899 non frame and what would I need to do to get injection working properly with different injectors and other electronics .I tend to keep my bikes for a lot of KM and would like to have a spare ready, that way nothing will go bang with a spare sitting there.Any advice on quality service in Australia, need a 24000 km I live between Sydney and Melbourne so will travel to get a quality service done. Thanks I hope the knowledgeable will chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 PM

The electronics has no differences.

If you were to swap, just swap the injectors and ECU over. Theres plenty of people who swapped the 899 "frame" over to 1199 to get the 24 deg head angle in the early days.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 12:33 AM

Garage
You don't do your own servicing but are considering an engine swap?
Having someone do an engine swap for you will cost you a packet.

I have attached an image from XCL8TN when she had to drop her motor. It's not for the
faint hearted soles among us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	899in-half.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	38346  

899 project - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by able duc View Post

I have attached an image from XCL8TN when she had to drop her motor. It's not for the

Honestly, I believe there are only 4 big nuts inside the airbox holding the motor to the 'frame'. It was a PITA to tear all the side covers off, though!

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 AM

Garage
haha yes but the back end also needs to come off to remove the motor, and then you do it to the donor bike

Great images and hope it was ok to use yours.

899 project - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guy for your input, my concern with 959 engine, apart from electronics and injection(thanks D-Style NZL) was if the engine dimensions and bolt patterns might vary in a small way, changing the ability to mount steering head air box casting to the engine,knowing there were changes to the 959 to reduce engine noise to meet euro 4 specs would the casting still fit Same applies to swingarm mounting points.It does look straight forward in your photos XCL8TN how many miles have you click up on your ride now must be a record for 899 ? Another small point, I need a quality service this is my last check before warranty is gone.Not that Australian ducati warranty for me has instilled much confidence.Regards Andrew.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew 6x47 View Post
Thanks guy for your input, my concern with 959 engine, apart from electronics and injection(thanks D-Style NZL) was if the engine dimensions and bolt patterns might vary in a small way, changing the ability to mount steering head air box casting to the engine,knowing there were changes to the 959 to reduce engine noise to meet euro 4 specs would the casting still fit Same applies to swingarm mounting points.It does look straight forward in your photos XCL8TN how many miles have you click up on your ride now must be a record for 899 ? Another small point, I need a quality service this is my last check before warranty is gone.Not that Australian ducati warranty for me has instilled much confidence.Regards Andrew.

The side Exhuast is what reduced the engine nose for Euro 4. The 959/1299 used different valve covers and clutch cover with extra webbing to help reduce mechincal noise. The main structure parts of the bike (well 1199 headbox had different Head angle) and even the basic engine casings a the same for all.

The 959 wasnt a new bike. It was a small update on the 899.

depending on what state you live in, you need to record new engine number on rego otherwise you wont get a roadworthy once that time comes around or you could be caught out "re-birthing" a bike.

It alot of work just for 10hp....
post #8 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 PM

Garage
In NSW you will need an engineers report to install an updated or different HP or configured engine. The NSW RMS may also site the increase in wheelbase needed for the extra HP of the 959 over 899, they can be easy or difficult to deal with I have found.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by able duc View Post

Yep just finished swapping mine out. Definitely time consuming and a pain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page