15K mi service? - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 07-20-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
15K mi service?

Only a handful of you guys may have gone through this but it's coming up and it's a reality I will have to face soon.

It ran Antihero $1898.24 for his 1199 and since the 899 has the same monocoque frame/engine I don't see it being any less expensive.

What did it run you guys?

Straights are for fast bikes, turns are for fast riders.
Aprilia Shiver 750: SOLD
Ducati Panigale 899: Track Weapon
Ducati Monster 1200: Daily Weapon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 01:03 AM

15k mile service will run me about $1500 at the dealer.

I've been studying the manual, estimating costs on tooling and parts because I MAY plan to do the valve check/adjustment myself and keep my own records.
Panzer likes this.

Good Sellers:
BrOsiah

Good Buyers:
Venom

2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #3 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 07:00 AM

15K mi service?

My mechanic told me it's the tools that cost a lot. It's a specialized engine so they have to buy their tools straight from Ducati. They get charged an arm and a leg. Not to mention some of the tools are designed to be one time use only as to keep the engine internals from getting damaged as they're getting removed and inspected.

This is one service I've been saving up for and I'm leaving to my mechanic. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panzer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3thelast View Post
My mechanic told me it's the tools that cost a lot. It's a specialized engine so they have to buy their tools straight from Ducati. They get charged an arm and a leg. Not to mention some of the tools are designed to be one time use only as to keep the engine internals from getting damaged as they're getting removed and inspected.

This is one service I've been saving up for and I'm leaving to my mechanic. IMHO
Labor is quoted at either 9 or 10 hours alone....

The main expenses (other than the grand in labor) I have had at the 15k and 30k services were the chain/sprocket replacement ($300), and the spark plugs are around $50/each. If your valves don't need adjusted, they just button it back up... some of mine were close at 30k. I take the bike in tonight for the 45k, I am expecting some to finally need shimmed. When I priced shim kits years ago, used they were $5k. Nope... I'll let the dealer do that.

FYI right at 40k my rear cush drive bushings were toast (one metal sleeve actually fell into the wheel and rattled around). Those are $15/ea and $6/ea for the studs that go into the carrier. I just did it all at once to be sure

Hope that helps!
Mariner, x3thelast and Panzer like this.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #5 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCLR8TN View Post
Labor is quoted at either 9 or 10 hours alone....

The main expenses (other than the grand in labor) I have had at the 15k and 30k services were the chain/sprocket replacement ($300), and the spark plugs are around $50/each. If your valves don't need adjusted, they just button it back up... some of mine were close at 30k. I take the bike in tonight for the 45k, I am expecting some to finally need shimmed. When I priced shim kits years ago, used they were $5k. Nope... I'll let the dealer do that.

FYI right at 40k my rear cush drive bushings were toast (one metal sleeve actually fell into the wheel and rattled around). Those are $15/ea and $6/ea for the studs that go into the carrier. I just did it all at once to be sure

Hope that helps!
Pretty long service. My dealer's rate is $99/hour for labor, so at 10 hours that's $1000, + sprockets/chain, spark plugs, oil change, I don't see it being any less than $1500. Do they flush the break fluid or tranny fluid as well? I've heard the list is quite extensive and for the Pani's they have to pretty much tear them apart and remove the swing arm/forks.
Ugrin likes this.

post #6 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Pretty long service. My dealer's rate is $99/hour for labor, so at 10 hours that's $1000, + sprockets/chain, spark plugs, oil change, I don't see it being any less than $1500. Do they flush the break fluid or tranny fluid as well? I've heard the list is quite extensive and for the Pani's they have to pretty much tear them apart and remove the swing arm/forks.
Brake/clutch fluid is shown to be serviced every 24 months, there is not a mileage on it in the service manual. That being said, I've flushed it twice and I think the dealer did mine at the 15 and 30 as well as a courtesy.

I don't think that my forks have ever been out of the triple tree, not sure why they would be unless to check the steering head bearings? The radiator should be able to come out once the front wheel is off. I can ask when I take it in. I also don't think my swingarm has been off. I know the rear subframe has been, to access the rear head.

My dealer charges $110/hr btw.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #7 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM

ohhh goodness... $1,000 ?

how would you know if they bike needed the valves adjusted? would you not be getting compression?

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Front and Rear R&G Sliders , Rizoma B-Pro pegs, Ducati performance carbon tank protector, Pit Bull Spools, NRC FEK, R&G Radiator Guards, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Red Wheels, ProGrip 717, Heated Grips

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster -
post #8 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU2EVq8Qbow
Mariner and toratora like this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Front and Rear R&G Sliders , Rizoma B-Pro pegs, Ducati performance carbon tank protector, Pit Bull Spools, NRC FEK, R&G Radiator Guards, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Red Wheels, ProGrip 717, Heated Grips

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster -
post #9 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissrock View Post
That is the video I have been studying along with the workshop manual.

Quote:

how would you know if they bike needed the valves adjusted? would you not be getting compression?

The only way to truly tell if the valves need adjustment is to take the measurements. If one of the cylinders ended up having bad compression then it could be a VARIETY of things. Bent valves, incorrect ignition timing, worn piston rings, etc
Ugrin likes this.

Good Sellers:
BrOsiah

Good Buyers:
Venom

2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #10 of 27 Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

The full service on the Panigale series engines is to be performed at 15,000 miles or (24,000 km).

Signs and Symptoms: Bike may make different noises, and lose power, or have trouble starting/idling depending on heat

From what little history other guys on various adventure and Ducati forums post, our valves tend to run loose over time. Do em as scheduled and the bike should be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page