Quickshifter - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quickshifter

Anyone had any trouble with the quickshifter? I was out yesterday and kept getting a missed gear!! I tried to change lightly then tried a bit heavier a bit quicker a bit slower, every now and then a dodgy change!! is there any adjustment on these? Should I be telling the dealer?
Mubbles likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Oni

Garage
Mine does the same. You get used to when to shift the bike with the DQS. I don't have any misses now. I first blamed it but realized it was my own fault for shifting at the wrong rpm.

It's not about how fast you ride, but how you ride fast.

Current Bikes
Yamaha R1 '10, Ducati 899 Panigale '14
Previous Bikes
Yamaha Zeal 250 '99, Kawasaki ZXR 750 '91, Yamaha R6 '99, Yamaha R6 '03 & '04
post #3 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 05:50 AM

Any recommendations on the right RPM, above 5000 seems to work well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 05:58 AM

^^ it works down in low rpms but not like the S1000rr (800rpms or something silly).
I have found that you have to make sure you are deliberate with the upshifts on the QS or you will bounce off the limiter in no time

d

2014 899 Panigale & 2012 RSV4R

Previous bikes:
2 x 1992 CBR250RR
1994 RVF400
2 x 1996 RVF400
2009 GSXR 750
2008 Ducati 848
2009 Daytona 675 limited edition
TU250x
2010 RSV4R
899 Panigale
2013 RSV4R
2012 RSV4R

Bike photo album......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Oni

Garage
i shift around 7-8k with no dramas (commute to work) when I'm through the twisties I'm always shifting around redline so haven't had a problem there. Just seems to be the commute to work. Also i am always in Race mode.

It's not about how fast you ride, but how you ride fast.

Current Bikes
Yamaha R1 '10, Ducati 899 Panigale '14
Previous Bikes
Yamaha Zeal 250 '99, Kawasaki ZXR 750 '91, Yamaha R6 '99, Yamaha R6 '03 & '04
post #6 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Interesting gents, thank you.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM

We've had lots of questions on the DQS system the past couple of years, here are a few things to keep in mind that may or may not help in your specific situation:

1) On a brand new Ducati, the transmission tolerances are set very tight from the factory, and they will loosen up as the engine is broken in. Often times the bike will shift noticeably smoother after 1k miles or so. You'll get a little bit "clunky" shifting on the brand new bike and it will be like butter once things get settled in. We always see this with our demo fleet every year, since we put the first 50-100 miles on all of the bikes ourselves before letting customers ride them.
2) You have to make very certain that you are not touching the shift lever at all with your foot prior to making the shift. For those of us who spent years "preloading" the shift lever with our foot, and then using a quick throttle roll off to execute the shift for quick shifting on the track, this is a very difficult habit to break. Keep your foot completely away from the lever so you don't accidentally tough it early and cause a premature ignition cut.
3) The quicker you "hit" the shift lever with your foot the better the DQS system will work particularly at higher RPM's. Don't be lazy with your shifting foot, make sure you're being deliberate about the shift and moving the shifter through it's full range of motion as quickly as possible.
4) Make sure you have your shift lever adjusted for your foot position so that it's not too high. I've seen many people having shifting problems, then we've lowered their shift lever down a little bit and magically all of the problem disappear.

Hope that helps!
post #8 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Good tips! I've also noticed that 2 back-to-back upshifts will often cause a miss if not VERY deliberate with your foot. I've not started waiting a couple seconds before going into the next gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Ducati 899 - SOLD

2009 Ducati 848 - SOLD

2001 Ducati 996R - Dream bike
post #9 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
2) You have to make very certain that you are not touching the shift lever at all with your foot prior to making the shift. For those of us who spent years "preloading" the shift lever with our foot, and then using a quick throttle roll off to execute the shift for quick shifting on the track, this is a very difficult habit to break. Keep your foot completely away from the lever so you don't accidentally tough it early and cause a premature ignition cut.
Do you just mean "don't touch the shifter unless you intend to shift"? Or is there more to it? I'm working off the assumption that the 'roll-off' is handled by the ECU.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM

I think changing the shift to race pattern helps too. Going down on the shifter, to go up in gears is more deliberate and helps in eliminating those false neutrals. Mind you the first day on the track can give you heart pulputations when you go the wrong way on the shifter.....but you do get use to it..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page