Love my 899.. Oportunity to own 1199 Superleggera - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Love my 899.. Oportunity to own 1199 Superleggera

Hi Guys,

I've owned my 899 Panigale for almost a year now and I've done loads of riding both on road and track.

I have now inherited some money and would like to purchase my dream bike which is an 1199 Superleggera.

My question is.. what would you do in this position? On the one hand I have a bike I already love to ride in the 899 and on the other.. a significant amount of money to buy a very rare bike to satisfy a dream.. is this just a waste of money???

I look forward to your views as I don't want to make a silly decision that I'm going to regret and I don't want to attract the wrong attention when i'm out on a Sunday ride. I want to use the bike and share it with people who appreciate it.

Regards

Adzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Keep your cash - if you have to ask a forum what to do you need some additional money management experience. Especially if you just came into a boat load of it.
Rowan, DonSanto and Adzy1981 like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Inherited money is a true gift of love and respect. One should sit back and consider what they really want. I still have money from Gram. Invested. Worth about 5 times what it was. I remember wanting to go buy a new car. Car would be gone along with money
smcf and Adzy1981 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-21-2015, 05:32 PM

Garage
As much as I would love to recommend just buying your dream bike, I have to agree with these guys. Unless the inheritance has you 'set' and you don't have to worry about expenses, I would recommend that you really consider your options and priorities.

What a predicament to be in! Good luck with your decision...
HIGHHAMMER, vyruz and Adzy1981 like this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2015, 05:34 PM

I wouldn't buy property that will only depreciate with windfall money.

Maybe real estate...

Granted I have no idea how much you're talking about, but I would rather sit on it a couple of years, ride the **** out of the 899, and see what the next generation of superbike will be.
Adzy1981 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Garage
Depends on how much you inherited.
Adzy1981 likes this.

2014 Arctic White Silk 899 Panigale
2015 Ducati Multistrada S
2014 Honda Grom
post #7 of 11 Old 06-21-2015, 06:07 PM

If you have inherited 50 grand I would say tread carefully but if its 5 million then yeah go for it and get me one while your at it!!
rjjr, vyruz, krissrock and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 AM

Garage
Interesting thread!

I resonate with the advice about being prudent with your inheritance, but I also then remind myself about how short and unpredictable life can be, so really there are points both ways.

To your question - What would I do in your situation - I would buy a used SL (eBay prices just under US$60k) if I inherited US$500k or more. There are worse ways to spend US$60k, and the SL will always be a special bike, like the old numbered Ducati models. But that's me with where I am with my finances, lifestyle and life expectations. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azdave View Post
Inherited money is a true gift of love and respect. One should sit back and consider what they really want. I still have money from Gram. Invested. Worth about 5 times what it was. I remember wanting to go buy a new car. Car would be gone along with money
This is good advice.

If I were to pass on and my daughter gets her inheritance, I'd like it if she used some of it to buy something she really wants. If she just invests all of the money to make more money, I hate to say it, but I'd be a little disappointed and will have to haunt her for a while.

On the topic of SL, here's a picture of one of the SLs in Singapore that was track-prepped and taken up to the Sepang circuit in Malaysia for a track day a few weeks back. I'd need a lot more than a US$500k inheritance to do this!

sinjin, Adzy1981, CJZ and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb To all comments

Guys,

I really appreciate your comments and happy to say.. I've reached a decision. The reason I posted this question is because nobody else in my family understands my passion for motorcycling and so it seemed like a good idea to find out what other Ducati owners thought about my situation.

As much as I love the idea of owning the SL.. I'm going to hold on to the cash and continue enjoying the 899.

All the best

Adzy

HIGHHAMMER, vyruz, CJZ and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 PM

good choice. Invest...make more money and see the world... do all those other things that you wanted to do but didn't have the spare cash for...like traveling the world...and then when you're ready to come home...then buy the bike
CJZ likes this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Front and Rear R&G Sliders , Rizoma B-Pro pegs, Ducati performance carbon tank protector, Pit Bull Spools, NRC FEK, R&G Radiator Guards, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Red Wheels, ProGrip 717, Heated Grips

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page